Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New York City in the winter. Recommendations

Heading there in 3.5 weeks; Time Square South area for several days.

The NYC dining thread from Aug had good suggestions, will check those out. Been to Le Bernadin years ago, remember it blew my mind.

Will have quite a bit of free time. Plan to wander around, drink & eat, some typical tourist stuff, not sure what else yet. Never spent any real time in the city.

- MOMA vs Met if I just pick one?
    - Best theatre to see nowadays? (Hamilton tickets sure seem spendy online)
    - any rec’s of where to see some good hip-hop?

Any advice/rec’s for a middle-aged non-urban westerner-dad who’d like to get a little culture would be greatly appreciated. Trying to figure out what exactly’s going on in the city is a bit daunting.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Beatrice Inn, Cote, Keen's, Jongro BBQ.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Fuck Broadway and musical garbage. Go see something good--I want to check this one out (Tom Stoppard):

https://www.lct.org/shows/hard-problem/

MOMA/MET depends on what's at MOMA, IMO. If there is something there that you're into, give it a shot. But you can never really go wrong with the MET. It's like the Louvre--massive, with an unbelievable collection of basically everything. It's kind of like a Library of Congress for art. But you do have to pay, these days. I think MOMA is still free on Friday evenings?

John Hammond might be playing the Iridium while you're here (2/5 until something, not sure). If you went to that I'd actually like to go along.

This might be cool: https://bk.knittingfactory.com/event...pache/9100705/

If none of that is exciting enough for you then try riding the D train during morning rush:

Restaurants: let me get back to you. I always have mental blocks when trying to recommend places (all I can think of right now is the Peruvian place I get takeout from). Actually, I would highly recommend Nyonya down on Grand Street--better Malaysian food than the places in Queens, even (don't tell Queens people I said that). If you want super fancy again then I'd just look at Michelin or whatever and choose the cuisine you want.
    [quote][//quote]

Are any bands you like playing in NY while you're there?

Don't buy Broadway in advance. Go down to the TKTS booth South St. Seaport and see what's available for that night. Both on and off Broadway shows available.

If you are there on a Monday, The Stand has free comedy shows in the lower East Side - https://thestandnyc.ticketfly.com/calendar

Also while down there, check out the Tenement Museum.

Just saw an ad outside for two-for-one theater tix. I think you will be here during 'theater week' and that's the promotion. It's nycgo.com or something, not sure.

edit: looks like it's restaurant week also, jump on this if you can get reservations--$26 lunch at Cafe Boulud, can't beat it:

https://www.opentable.com/r/cafe-bou...-01-21+19%3A00
    [quote][//quote]

MOMA - you could probably see all of it in a day or 2, but it's all modern (1880s and newer, approx) - and if you like that you are going to be stunned.

Met - you could probably see it all in a week, and it has stuff from a million eras. And if you like the classical stuff you'll have a massive amount to enjoy.

I go MOMA, but that's me.

See The Ferryman. Amazing play, and some say the best play to come to NYC in years

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Beatrice Inn, Cote, Keen's, Jongro BBQ.
    Thanks! Cotes looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Fuck Broadway and musical garbage. Go see something good--I want to check this one out (Tom Stoppard):

https://www.lct.org/shows/hard-problem/
    When I first opened the link thought this was about ED...so glad it’s about Chalmers work instead! I’m getting old, but not that old yet thank god. Might go see this unless the 2 for 1 thing works out for me.

MOMA/MET depends on what's at MOMA, IMO. If there is something there that you're into, give it a shot.
    Solid advice. Thanks!

John Hammond might be playing the Iridium while you're here
    Looks like I’m there when Wooten is playing...used to love the Flecktones, would be pretty rad to see him live!

Actually, I would highly recommend Nyonya down on Grand Street--better Malaysian food than the places in Queens, even (don't tell Queens people I said that). If you want super fancy again then I'd just look at Michelin or whatever and choose the cuisine you want.
    That looks good. Don’t necessarily need super fancy. Good ethnic food is a rarity where I live, so I’ll prob explore strong flavors more than fine dining this trip, unless something really grabs me, like I get in on the 9th, so just miss restaurant week, otherwise I’d totally Boulud’s for lunch. That place looks pretty amazing.

Best quality beef I've ever had was at Cote. Do the steak omakase. Wedge salad. Multiple Hites.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

New York City in the winter. Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Don't buy Broadway in advance. Go down to the TKTS booth South St. Seaport and see what's available for that night. Both on and off Broadway shows available.

If you are there on a Monday, The Stand has free comedy shows in the lower East Side - https://thestandnyc.ticketfly.com/calendar

Also while down there, check out the Tenement Museum.
    That TKTS advice is super helpful, appreciate it! Trying to get Colbert tickets for Monday night.

Just saw an ad outside for two-for-one theater tix. I think you will be here during 'theater week' and that's the promotion. It's nycgo.com
    Thank you both for the nycgo.com website. I saw that before, but it’s mixed in with so many other garbage websites it’s hard to know what has reliable info or not. Looks pretty comprehensive.

Might try to go see YNW Melly at the Sound Of Brazil club. Not really my genre, but that’s the only live hip hop I can find. Hanging with another out-of-towner that night, so need to see if he’d be into something like that or not.

NYC can be cold and windy in winter. I would stay in the hotel and just watch Netflix and order up some room service. But if you are determined to explore, dress warm. Ideally you'll want a Canada Goose coat so that you fit right in with everyone else, unless you're more of a hip hop style guy, in which case you can't go wrong with a TNF Nuptse jacket and some unlaced Timberland boots.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    That TKTS advice is super helpful, appreciate it! Trying to get Colbert tickets for Monday night.
    Colbert tapes at like 5pm and ends by 7pm. Comedy show doesn't start until 10pm leaving plenty of time for dinner in between.

This is exactly what I’m looking for. NYC couture advice is helpful

This is exactly what I’m looking for. NYC couture advice is helpful

You're welcome.
    One more thing, keep your head down and walk with a purpose ( I like to pretend I'm late for a meeting) and don't make eye contact until you get to the safety of the restaurant. If they discover you're a tourist, you're finished. Godspeed S'nS.

- MOMA vs Met if I just pick one?
    MOMA/MET depends on what's at MOMA, IMO. If there is something there that you're into, give it a shot. But you can never really go wrong with the MET. It's like the Louvre--massive, with an unbelievable collection of basically everything. It's kind of like a Library of Congress for art.
    Quote Originally Posted by beece View Post
    MOMA - you could probably see all of it in a day or 2, but it's all modern (1880s and newer, approx) - and if you like that you are going to be stunned.

Met - you could probably see it all in a week, and it has stuff from a million eras. And if you like the classical stuff you'll have a massive amount to enjoy.

I go MOMA, but that's me.
    These comments are accurate. I'm assuming that you're not a big educated art guy based on the question and some of your statements. So as an uncultured philistine myself, I say MOMA hands down. Yes, the Met is everything that Dex and beece say, but if you have to pick just one, I'd pick the place you can wander through in a few hours. The Met is so big that it's absolutely impossible to see everything in a few hours, and while it is an amazing museum, you could be wandering for a long time through stuff that maybe doesn't interest you all that much, and miss stuff that does (because you didn't even know it would interest you). At least at MOMA, you can see everything and know that you didn't miss something super cool. And yeah, it's all "modern", but again, if you're not a big art guy so what, modern still encompasses a huge variety of art. At least it seems so to my untrained eye.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Fits all the east coast stereotypes I have in my imagination. It I hit the Melly show as a middle aged white dude in a FKNA t-shirt and old carhartts, hopefully I’ll make some interesting friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    TNF jacket and some unlaced Timberland boots.
    Pretty sure this message has been brought to you by the year 1998. Maybe Timberlands are still a big thing in urban footwear trends, but I haven't really noticed (and I know that through the early 2000's they were definitely very popular).

Yeah, you still see a lot of North Face, but I feel like the guys who were wearing it 15 years ago may have also moved on.
    [quote][//quote]

Dad? With Kids? Math Museum for sure.

I prefer the Met, but agree w Dani’s comment on Moma. Guggenheim is worth a visit IMO.

Natural History is also a worthy place to visit. Especially if cold/wintery.

Cloisters if weather is good. Central Park walks as well.

I think Governors island is closed in winter, but if not, great place to see the city from. Brooklyn Bridge as well. Or Ferry to Staten Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Dad? With Kids? Math Museum for sure.

I prefer the Met, but agree w Dani’s comment on Moma. Guggenheim is worth a visit IMO.

Natural History is also a worthy place to visit. Especially if cold/wintery.

Cloisters if weather is good. Central Park walks as well.

I think Governors island is closed in winter, but if not, great place to see the city from. Brooklyn Bridge as well. Or Ferry to Staten Island.
    oh, yeah, if kids are with, then absolutely Museum of Natural History. And make sure to watch Night at the Museum with your kids first.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Met. Not an exciting season right now, but, if you've never been, enough for a good day. Don't forget Met Bruer, a few blocks away, the old Whitney, an architectural icon in it's own right. Combine that with a stroll through Central Park to midtown, and you'll be in the right mood for a drink and some food.
    I'm partial to the primitive art at the Met a lot. Americas, South Pacific, Africa . Fun.

As always, take the Staten Island ferry RT. Bundle up.

Marvel at capitalism run amuck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    As always, take the Staten Island ferry RT. Bundle up.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    If river ice is breaking up on the Hudson, a smaller NY Waterway ferry to HOB ride can be a more exciting one. I don't think a hull has been punctured yet but there's always a first time.

And for fucks sake Benny, no one cares that you use a Pixel 2.

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Absolutely not. Nobody goes there anymore because its too crowded.