Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    I'm trying to find a baker in this city that will do a small fondant cake a week from now and it's like trying to locate a taco truck in Beijing. Had one guy lined up and spoke with him in person with all my details, only for him to back out because he has bigger cakes he can do. WTF.

Anyways after trying at least 10-12 different bakeries I'm still striking out on this search except for one place that wanted to charge me $550 for this tiny ass cake. Frustrating as hell trying to find anyone available at all.
    Are you local or coming to town?

Some of the bigger hotels have in house pastry chefs that would do something like that if you were staying there or possibly if you weren't. I have seen it at a few of the hotels I worked at.

Also, look more in Burroughs & burbs, again not knowing what you mean by "NYC" or where you need it for. Imagine you would have more joy at local bakeries than bigger Manhattan shops that make their $ on Weddings,. etc

If you want to hop on a train to the first express stop in CT, you could call these guys.
    http://dimarepastry.com/GalleriesView-2.cfm?TheCatID=16

Crisis averted as I finally found a local here on Manhattan that can make this thing. Lesson learned that if you want a custom cake in Manhattan, best ask for it at least a month out.

Thanks for the tip Woodsy. That's good to know for future reference, and I might try to use it sometime if I'm at a hotel with a pastry chef on hand. The larger bakeries do appear non-responsive to small events.

Also thanks to the mags that PM'd me with a few suggestions. Always a good resource here.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    If you want to hop on a train to the first express stop in CT, you could call these guys.
    http://dimarepastry.com/GalleriesView-2.cfm?TheCatID=16
    DiMare Cannoli Cake is first ballot HOF.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    DiMare Cannoli Cake is first ballot HOF.
    word
    They also make these Cannoli "Nachos" that are ridiculous. Its a popular grab for parties ( remember parties?) people bring
    Name:  4750_CannoliNacho2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  179.3 KB

If some one brings these to your house, DO NOT get baked & clean up while these are sitting in kitchen unless you want to lay on the couch and moan for hours. You cant stop.

I mean so I heard.
    Last edited by Woodsy; 04-23-2021 at 10:42 AM.

That looks ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    That looks ridiculous.
    I will bring some by next time you are in town

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had to look up if caffe capri was still open. and fuck. that tiny couple ran that place for 50 years as transported from italy. che cazzo. rip nyc. fuck.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Pies are so much better than cakes.

https://www.littlepiecompany.com/
    Man, I miss them.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    word
    They also make these Cannoli "Nachos" that are ridiculous. Its a popular grab for parties ( remember parties?) people bring
    Name:  4750_CannoliNacho2.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  179.3 KB

If some one brings these to your house, DO NOT get baked & clean up while these are sitting in kitchen unless you want to lay on the couch and moan for hours. You cant stop.

I mean so I heard.
    Those look like Norwegian fattigman cookies. My family makes them on xmas eve. Great grandmother got the recipe from the Norwegians that homesteaded Montana with them in the early 1900s.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Good lord.