Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I vaguely remember watching Bjorg play standing way back behind the baseline almost to the fence by the stands. I remember Michael Chang standing ON the service line. I saw bits of Jimmy Connors, McEnroe, Courrier, Sampras, Aggasi and some of the current top players. IMHO, Federer is the greatest men's tennis player of all time.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Sun is a huge factor now

This is just so much fun.
    I still call it The Jake.

It just keeps going

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Can't imagine how tired they must be

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I vaguely remember watching Bjorg play standing way back behind the baseline almost to the fence by the stands. I remember Michael Chang standing ON the service line. I saw bits of Jimmy Connors, McEnroe, Courrier, Sampras, Aggasi and some of the current top players. IMHO, Federer is the greatest men's tennis player of all time.
    Nobody stands on the service line for long, I've only seen it (and done it ) very occasionally to rattle the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Nobody stands on the service line for long, I've only seen it (and done it ) very occasionally to rattle the opponent.
    Chang also occasionally threw in an underhand serve. He made a career out of standing up close to the service line. Nobody else ever did well there though..

https://external-preview.redd.it/Sd5...t=mp4&e229f348

Fuck. One of the greatest matches I've seen though so there's that.

This ^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chang also occasionally threw in an underhand serve. He made a career out of standing up close to the service line. Nobody else ever did well there though..

https://external-preview.redd.it/Sd5...t=mp4&e229f348
    You can't win standing on the service line at any level. Chang did it very fucking occasionally (as have others) as I've said. Now shut the fuck up about standing on the service line receiving serves.

Damn that was awesome. Congrats to Novak after some hard years. Still wanted Fed to win and a tiebreaker after ALL that tennis just doesn’t sit right.
    I still call it The Jake.

That was fucking epic.

You can't win standing on the service line at any level. Chang did it very fucking occasionally (as have others) as I've said. Now shut the fuck up about standing on the service line receiving serves.
    I'll shut the fuck up when I decide to shut the fuck up. Take a lap. Gonna carry on more just because you're being a dick. People weren't hitting 140 mph serves back when Chang was 17 so he got away with it. Today it isn't recommended at all.

Great match from the top 2 players in the world today. How much longer can Federer keep playing at this level???

People weren't hitting 140 mph serves back when Chang was 17 so he got away with it.
    Roscoe Tanner's serve was clocked at 153 mph at Palm Springs in 1978 during the final against Raúl Ramírez. There are also reports that Bill Tilden had a serve that was clocked at 163.3 mph

And, congrats Djoko. Well played !

I'll shut the fuck up when I decide to shut the fuck up. Take a lap. Gonna carry on more just because you're being a dick. People weren't hitting 140 mph serves back when Chang was 17 so he got away with it. Today it isn't recommended at all.

Great match from the top 2 players in the world today. How much longer can Federer keep playing at this level???
    I'll take a lap when I decide to take a lap. You're out to fucking lunch. You full cap'd "ON" the service line. That's idiotic and people only do that on occasion. Chang did NOT make a strategy of standing ON the fucking service line. Yeah he crowded it, as do tons of other players depending on your opponents serve and a myriad of other factors.

2019 Tennis Thread

He probably meant the baseline but still...

2019 Tennis Thread

The best players to crowd service line are jimmy Connors and Andre Agassi. I give Agassi the edge between the two.

2019 Tennis Thread

Martina N. sure is a handsome woman. I dated a bisexual woman that though she was dreamy.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Damn that was awesome. Congrats to Novak after some hard years. Still wanted Fed to win and a tiebreaker after ALL that tennis just doesn’t sit right.
    I have some similar feelings about tiebreak as the decider, though Mac had a good point about 12:12 being similar to a 6 set tiebreaker. Also suggest both players could go hard to the end because they knew it was going to end at some point in the not to distant future.

I definately don't like 5th set 6:6 tiebreak. I believe every slam has a different 5th set tiebreak rule now. They should all to 12:12 like the Brits imho.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    He probably meant the baseline but still...
    No he separated the 2 and fully capped ON the service line in his idiotic statement.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Roscoe Tanner's serve was clocked at 153 mph at Palm Springs in 1978 during the final against Raúl Ramírez. There are also reports that Bill Tilden had a serve that was clocked at 163.3 mph
    Ya, should have said 2nd serves at 140 plus as that's when people tend to crowd the line, on 2nd serves mostly. As for crowding the line the point of the conversation was to illustrate how strategies have changed over the decades. Bjorg WAY back.. Chang WAY up, maybe not ON the service line literally but betting farther up on average than those he was playing. I heard one person comment that shorter players did better catching the ball on the way up and taller players did better farther back as a general rule.

Another thing I remember (correct me again please) was that Lendl seemed like the last person to finally go to a bigger racket out of all the top players in the 80s..

Ya, should have said 2nd serves at 140 plus as that's when people tend to crowd the line, on 2nd serves mostly. As for crowding the line the point of the conversation was to illustrate how strategies have changed over the decades. Bjorg WAY back.. Chang WAY up, maybe not ON the service line literally but betting farther up on average than those he was playing. I heard one person comment that shorter players did better catching the ball on the way up and taller players did better farther back as a general rule.

Another thing I remember (correct me again please) was that Lendl seemed like the last person to finally go to a bigger racket out of all the top players in the 80s..
    Jesus christ. I'm not sure you've either watched or played much tennis but whatever. What is clear to me is that you do not know what the fuck you're talking about. The average 2nd serve speed in the mens game is about 94 mph (not 140 mph as you assert). Pro's do not necessarily crowd the service line on second serve in todays game. Hackers, sure because a lot of hackers have a shitty paddy-cake second serve. Whatever, we're talking about pros here RIGHT sherlock?

As for crowding the line, I called bullshit on your assertion that anybody stands "ON" the fucking line. They don't. You said they did, then changed it and started talking about "crowding" the line.

Crowding the line is dependent on so many factors (your opponents serve and their spin/kick/junk/pace/1st serve percentage mainly, but certainly on your ability to take a ball on a short hop or your propensity to just block them back or hit them back with any kind of motion) I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make.

Did Chang play closer to the service line than most other players? This may be true but what IS true is that the guy won only one Slam and got in the final of just 2 others. I would suggest that his strategy (when compared with that of an absolute shit ton of other pros at the top of the tennis game - of not crowding the baseline) was shitty, having said that he was not a big guy and you do what you have to in order to win. He was gutsy.

Am I a dick for calling you out on posting stupid shit. Perhaps, but I'm OK with that. Tennis is the only game I've played continuously since I was a little kid and when someone suggests that pro players receive serves while standing "on" (your words) the service line, other than either fucking around in some exhibition match, or trying to piss someone off.....

Well, then you may certainly shut the fuck up.

https://www.tennisicoach.com/en/cont...4s-tennis.aspx
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Jesus christ. I'm not sure you've either watched or played much tennis but whatever. What is clear to me is that you do not know what the fuck you're talking about. The average 2nd serve speed in the mens game is about 94 mph (not 140 mph as you assert). Pro's do not necessarily crowd the service line on second serve in todays game. Hackers, sure because a lot of hackers have a shitty paddy-cake second serve. Whatever, we're talking about pros here RIGHT sherlock?

As for crowding the line, I called bullshit on your assertion that anybody stands "ON" the fucking line. They don't. You said they did, then changed it and started talking about "crowding" the line.

Crowding the line is dependent on so many factors (your opponents serve and their spin/kick/junk/pace/1st serve percentage mainly, but certainly on your ability to take a ball on a short hop or your propensity to just block them back or hit them back with any kind of motion) I'm not sure exactly what point you're trying to make.

Did Chang play closer to the service line than most other players? This may be true but what IS true is that the guy won only one Slam and got in the final of just 2 others. I would suggest that his strategy (when compared with that of an absolute shit ton of other pros at the top of the tennis game - of not crowding the baseline) was shitty, having said that he was not a big guy and you do what you have to in order to win. He was gutsy.

Am I a dick for calling you out on posting stupid shit. Perhaps, but I'm OK with that. Tennis is the only game I've played continuously since I was a little kid and when someone suggests that pro players receive serves while standing "on" (your words) the service line, other than either fucking around in some exhibition match, or trying to piss someone off.....

Well, then you may certainly shut the fuck up.

https://www.tennisicoach.com/en/cont...4s-tennis.aspx
    Triggered? We get it, you're the resident tennis ace..

Still waiting on comments on my observation that Bjorg seemed to play WAY BACK near the fence on serves. I'll make some popcorn.

Sampras was really good

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums