Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Because Jesus cares?
    Because Sunday is when the tourists drive

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Your point?

My post was an homage to Bmills.
    Sorry, I didn't understand the context of your post. (I don't remember what I posted yesterday, let alone what someone else posted some time ago.) My point is that driving on the right except to pass makes sense in your picture, but not in mine.

Re self driving cars--as someone who is rapidly approaching senility, if I haven't reached it already, I would love to see them become successful. A lot of the safety features that make them attractive are already available or will be soon--my Forester will correct back into the lane if I drift--except that it sometimes sees the lane lines and sometimes doesn't. I wonder how a self driving car will judge a safe speed on an ice covered road--probably with the same sensing technology that adjusts power to different wheels of AWD cars, and I can't say people do a good job of that. Still, if I recall correctly, autonomous cars are so far being tested in places where it doesn't snow.

I think we have to differentiate between self driving and self navigating cars. A fully self navigating car, outside of constrained situations, seems like a tough reach. Finding parking spots, dealing with detours, closed lanes, navigating dirt roads, etc. I think competent human drivers will still be required for too long to do me any good in my dotage, but I'm prepared to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Cars are now simply money-pits that really only are valuable to car dealers, banks, and insurance companies.
    New cars anyway. I've definitely received my money's worth in enjoyment from a 96' ranger I bought used. Life without it or a similar rig would be far less interesting. To this Xer trucks still are freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I didn't understand the context of your post. (I don't remember what I posted yesterday, let alone what someone else posted some time ago.) My point is that driving on the right except to pass makes sense in your picture, but not in mine.
    I make a lot of inside jokes and references on this forum. I don't expect everyone to get them.

Coincidentally, one of my brothers used to live in Sac, so I do get the 80 shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    Also, to go with the poor driving thread -

If you can't regulate your speed by simply letting off the gas, you're a muppet. Hitting the brakes to bleed off 5mph when there's open road ahead is just wasteful
    QFT, it's a simple idea that I see folks struggling with daily.

6 pages and no one mentioned 2 footed drivers (not talking about manuals). Or maybe I missed it.
    Or the idiot in front of me on 89 today who couldn't keep his car going straight--kept hitting the center line and the shoulder where all the sand and gravel are, sending it flying. And no, he wasn't sending me a message--I was well back of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And back in the 1890s people thought freedom was about owning horses
    I was thinking about this, too. Pretty confident there were rich people back in the late 19th century thinking "no one is going to give up their comfortable horse carriage for some bucket of bolts automobile!"

My wife was cc'd on this. One of her coworkers drives like an asshole!

Subject: Please Drive with Care!

Good Morning,

Yesterday morning I was driving in _______(neighborhood) when one of your (employees) blazed through a stop sign onto _______road right in front of me. This was no "California stop".....the car had to have been going at least 25 miles per hour in the turn. The vehicle was very clearly marked with your office information, name and phone number. The driver proceeded out of the area driving too fast for road conditions.

No one should drive like that, but it's really not too swift to do so when your company name is plastered all over your vehicle. Although this isolated incident is not the end of the world (though I wonder how many wrecks and tickets this driver has had!) I definitely would not consider doing business with (the person) driving the vehicle and this behavior tarnishes the reputation of your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As to being a general status symbol, you'll still be able to own your own robot car. I'm sure the full Sonata-Bugatti budget spectrum will continue to exist.
    Thank God. As long as I can make money off them.
    Last edited by Bobby Stainless; 01-15-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Name:  FC8BFD2C-9B3D-4008-8115-EC4FC46DC6C9.gif
Views: 286
Size:  964.2 KB

Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Thank God. As long as I can make money off them.
    Until they have self-selling cars. "psst, hey buddy, over here, the red one parked illegally in front of the hydrant.... yeah, right here. Hey, listen. You looking for a car like me?"

I also hereby initiate a block against: "all of my cars basically sell themselves."
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I’ve become much less aggressive in my old age, but still enjoy the occasional passive aggressive fuck you to the overly aggressive assholes. Things like:

- matching speed and signaling before merging into a lane of traffic; the number of assholes who try to cut me off is insane. I laugh and laugh when they honk or throw up their hands like I did something absurd. Dude. There were 4 car lengths of space before you decided to try to cut it to 1.5 so I couldn’t merge. You’ll have to employ your brakes now or hit my car. So sorry.

- the people behind me who get irate if I make room for somebody who needs to merge in a construction zone or similar.
    focus.

There’s a place down the road where a road merges into the highway. There is a mergelane here that goes in for like two miles. So the road becomes 3 lanes in that direction for quite a while.

What do the dumbasses do?

Merge into the middle lane before the solid white line even breaks, causing daily traffic jams from 4-6pm back a mile.

I’ve taken to getting right into this lane to pass dozens or hundreds of cars.

It’s truly incredible how stupid people are.

I used to think that autonomous vehicle would never work, but hell they couldn’t possibly be as fucked up as all the morons on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I try to differentiate between bad and unsafe.

Bad is an unfortunately reality of having to share the planet.

Unsafe is unnecessarily putting the rest of us at risk due to your selfishness.

The amount of unsafe driving due to texting/videos/whatever is insane. I really can't believe more people are not dying.

wieners should have some thread time too

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    There’s a place down the road where a road merges into the highway. There is a mergelane here that goes in for like two miles. So the road becomes 3 lanes in that direction for quite a while.

Merge into the middle lane before the solid white line even breaks, causing daily traffic jams from 4-6pm back a mile.

I used to think that autonomous vehicle would never work, but hell they couldn’t possibly be as fucked up as all the morons on the road.

217 southbound onto I5 in Portland. So fucking dumb. 3/4 of a mile to merge, but people just stop and put their blinker on. Move right one lane, then seamlessly merge into traffic half mile later like a normal human.

The zipper merge. Kinda nice to hear that Minnesotans aren't the only ones that have trouble doing this. It's so bad here that our department of transportation released a whole awareness campaign to inform people that it's not rude to zipper merge.

If you're driving on the freeway in the right lane and you come upon a long merge lane on your right and you pull into it to bypass the cars in your lane--that's kind of a dick move IMO, because by adding to the number of cars that need to merge you slow travel in the lane you were in. Perfectly legal, of course, but you gain an advantage at the expense of everyone else.

On NB 89 approaching Truckee a second through lane appears on the right just before a light and disappears just after it. I'd say 4 out of 5 people will stay in the original lane and 1 out of 5 will pull into it to get around everyone else. Of these, some are probably non-locals , who don't know the lane disappears after the light and some are jerks. I can't figure out what the purpose of the short extra lane is. It's not a right turn lane, because there's also a right turn light further to the right.

If you're driving on the freeway in the right lane and you come upon a long merge lane on your right and you pull into it to bypass the cars in your lane--that's kind of a dick move IMO, because by adding to the number of cars that need to merge you slow travel in the lane you were in. Perfectly legal, of course, but you gain an advantage at the expense of everyone else.
    It might be a dick move. But it's also more efficient from a system perspective. Yeah if it is just a merge lane, the system benefits probably don't outweigh being a complete dick. But if it is "construction 2 mi ahead, left lane closed" and people are all sitting in the right lane 2 mi out. Fuck that.

PSA: You drive like an asshole!!

On NB 89 approaching Truckee a second through lane appears on the right just before a light and disappears just after it. I'd say 4 out of 5 people will stay in the original lane and 1 out of 5 will pull into it to get around everyone else. Of these, some are probably non-locals , who don't know the lane disappears after the light and some are jerks. I can't figure out what the purpose of the short extra lane is. It's not a right turn lane, because there's also a right turn light further to the right.
    You are proof that one can think that they are doing the right thing but are really just an ignorant asshole.

Look genius, If everyone foregoes the merge lane and insists upon merging immediately while traveling 5 mph, what does your brilliant surgeons mind calculate that the average speed on the freeway behind said merge point will be? 0mph, 4mph?

Now what if everyone properly utilizes the merge/right lane and accelerated to 50 before merging? 45? 40?

Which is better for everyone?

It’s simple math as well as the actual fucking law, but assholes insist on thinking of it being the same thing as waiting in line for the bathroom in fucking kindergarten.

Of course you won’t actually think it through, to you it’s some sort of zero sum game where everyone is either waiting their turn behind others or stealing from them. But it never occurred to you, that you’re the one fucking over Everyone with your illguided simpleton thinking that is not only counter to the law but ironically creating more delays.

Wake up Asshole!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    <snip> I really can't believe more people are not dying.
    Thank an automotive engineer for that. They are doing some amazing work...

where I come from, passing on the Right is not "Perfectly legal " ( But I am glad to see this thread back on-topic ) tj

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    It might be a dick move. But it's also more efficient from a system perspective. Yeah if it is just a merge lane, the system benefits probably don't outweigh being a complete dick. But if it is "construction 2 mi ahead, left lane closed" and people are all sitting in the right lane 2 mi out. Fuck that.
    You are proof that one can think that they are doing the right thing but are really just an ignorant asshole.

Look genius, If everyone foregoes the merge lane and insists upon merging immediately while traveling 5 mph, what does your brilliant surgeons mind calculate that the average speed on the freeway behind said merge point will be? 0mph, 4mph?

Now what if everyone properly utilizes the merge/right lane and accelerated to 50 before merging? 45? 40?

Which is better for everyone?

It’s simple math as well as the actual fucking law, but assholes insist on thinking of it being the same thing as waiting in line for the bathroom in fucking kindergarten.

Of course you won’t actually think it through, to you it’s some sort of zero sum game where everyone is either waiting their turn behind others or stealing from them. But it never occurred to you, that you’re the one fucking over Everyone with your illguided simpleton thinking that is not only counter to the law but ironically creating more delays.

Wake up Asshole!

I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. If you are entering the freeway stay in the merge lane and accelerate to the speed of traffic until the end and zipper merge. (People who don't accelerate getting on the freeway are dangerous, same with people who brake before entering the deceleration ramp*.) If there's a "left lane closed ahead" sign, stay in the left lane until you reach the cones and zipper merge. The only thing I have a problem with is people who are already on the freeway getting into the merge lane to pass a bunch of cars in their lane and then merging back in. Explain to me how that improves traffic efficiency. It's functionally (but not legally) the same as passing people on the shoulder IMO. (In CA passing on the right on a multilane road is not illegal.)

Also, if your entering a crowded freeway and there's a long merge lane, stay in it until the end, but don't floor it to pass as many cars as you can, but roughly match the speed of the cars on the freeway. Why? Because some dick is liable to swerve into the merge lane in front of you.

*when the freeway is clear but the exit ramp is snowy or icy you may have to decelerate before entering the ramp.

Kinnickinnick--I hope you calm down before you get in your car this morning.

90th South NB I-15 onramp in slc is pretty similar. The ramp becomes its own lane. That lane ends 1.5 miles ahead, but everyone insists on getting over immediately and that spot is perpetually fubared. You can usually swing around these morons and merge at full speed a mile ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Back to asshole drivers--people who don't start moving at a green light until the car in front has moved a full car length or more.
    Extra points for those taking their time at a left turn light. Often 3 cars will make it through when 6+ should have no problem.