Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    People that put the stick in neutral and take their foot off the clutch. Then take too much time to realize it's green, finish their text, push the clutch, shift, drive.

Hold the damn clutch pedal down with the trans in first you fucking lazy moron.
    Do you live in Europe or something? Because it seems to me that like 99% of lazy Americans drive cars with automatic transmissions, soooo of all the things drivers do that annoy me, how the minuscule percentage of people who actually use a proper MT drive is definitely on the bottom of the list. Clutch use is too rare these days for this to be that much of a grievance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    People that put the stick in neutral and take their foot off the clutch. Then take too much time to realize it's green, finish their text, push the clutch, shift, drive.

Hold the damn clutch pedal down with the trans in first you fucking lazy moron.
    Good way to ruin your clutch you fucking ignorant moron
    https://www.cartalk.com/content/keep...-idea-find-out

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Good way to ruin your clutch you fucking ignorant moron
    https://www.cartalk.com/content/keep...-idea-find-out
    Haha. Yup.
    Ray: "But if you sit at red lights with your foot on the clutch pedal all the time, you can wear out the throw-out bearing before you wear out your clutch disc. And because that's an entirely preventable condition, we call that clutch murder in the second degree."

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ggs from russia?
    Ah HA! That could explain a lot. I think his complaint about people's clutch habits may have just outed him.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    -people driving with dogs in their laps

-people who are making a left or right turn across traffic instead of an actual turn the do a diagonal almost ripping your bumper off and act like your in the way
    I see these two a lot in this town.

The person/people on the bike who want you to grant then every right of way to a road lane no matter how slow they are going compared to the speed limit yet take liberties at stop signs and stop lights to roll through without waiting on their green light, much less a complete stop on red. Can't have it both ways folks..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    -old people suck at driving
    -people who are making a left or right turn across traffic instead of an actual turn the do a diagonal almost ripping your bumper off and act like your in the way
    Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I see these two a lot in this town.
    Was it this guy? Skip to about 1:40. Apparently an elderly driver who then (according to the dash cam driver) claimed that the oncoming driver came out of nowhere. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    <snip> yet take liberties at stop signs and stop lights to roll through without waiting on their green light, much less a complete stop on red. Can't have it both ways folks..
    Actually... in a some areas, cyclists *can* roll stop signs and lights, if it is safe to do so. So... you're wrong.

Why the fuck can’t anyone edit a fucking video?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Actually... in a some areas, cyclists *can* roll stop signs and lights, if it is safe to do so. So... you're wrong.
    So shouln't cars also be able to roll stop lights "when it's safe to do so"?? If not, then the law's bullshit.

The person/people on the bike who want you to grant then every right of way to a road lane no matter how slow they are going compared to the speed limit yet take liberties at stop signs and stop lights to roll through without waiting on their green light, much less a complete stop on red. Can't have it both ways folks..
    Wrong thread.

So shouln't cars also be able to roll stop lights "when it's safe to do so"?? If not, then the law's bullshit.
    Have you ever ridden a bicycle in town? Clearly not, because if you had you'd realize why "Idaho Stop" laws are perfectly sensible.

No. Because a car making a mistake is many times over more likely to kill someone. The difference in consequences of actions drives a lot of differences in laws.

There's a ton of speculation on whether disengaging the clutch at lights adds anything more than negligible wear, but I go case by case depending upon who is behind me and when. I keep the clutch pedal down if someone is approaching me from behind in case they decide they want to keep going for whatever idiotic reason. I throw in neutral when I know I can't be rear-ended and have some time to leave my foot on the dead pedal.

With so few manuals on the road and a need to not spread out traffic between lights, I get it when people pull up on my ass when I'm sitting on a steep uphill downtown Seattle road waiting between lights, but that shit annoys me. As people pull up behind, I give the ole' mini-backup in neutral maneuver so they know that I'd prefer just a bit of space rather than ride my parking brake.

You need to go over there in the corner and think about *why* laws like this might be enacted. Don't worry - we'll give you plenty of time.

Plan on providing your findings to the class when you're called back.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    No. Because a car making a mistake is many times over more likely to kill someone. The difference in consequences of actions drives a lot of differences in laws.
    A bike pulling out when the road isn't clear can also initiate a chain of events that can kill people.. Motorcycles? included or exempt, and why?

A bike pulling out when the road isn't clear can also initiate a chain of events that can kill people..
    So can a pedestrian or squirrel running across the road. For that chain to kill people, more than the first person has to make a mistake. And for it to kill people, it's likely automobiles doing the killing. Which is why we have different laws for users whos mistakes have different consequences.

A bike pulling out when the road isn't clear
    If they did this, they'd be violating the law.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    So can a pedestrian or squirrel running across the road. For that chain to kill people, more than the first person has to make a mistake. And for it to kill people, it's likely automobiles doing the killing. Which is why we have different laws for users whos mistakes have different consequences.
    And yet pedestrians are supposed to be ticketed for jaywalking even when it's clear.. But bikes can do it, i.e. cross before they have a green light when clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    As people pull up behind, I give the ole' mini-backup in neutral maneuver so they know that I'd prefer just a bit of space rather than ride my parking brake.
    Does it come in an auto?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

As someone who has changed more than few clutches with my own two hands, the notion of the throw-out bearing prematurely wearing out due to performing the function it was designed for is preposterous. The enemy of your clutch is heat.

And yet pedestrians are supposed to be ticketed for jaywalking even when it's clear.. But bikes can do it, i.e. cross before they have a green light when clear?
    You are as dense as a fruit-cake.

NTTAWWT.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Was it this guy? Skip to about 1:40. Apparently an elderly driver who then (according to the dash cam driver) claimed that the oncoming driver came out of nowhere. Haha.

People who bypass intersections by driving through parking lots--especially at 89/Squaw Valley Rd on a busy day.

A bike pulling out when the road isn't clear can also initiate a chain of events that can kill people.. Motorcycles? included or exempt, and why?
    In Italy, if I recall correctly, cars have to yield to pedestrians (doesn't mean they do) but motorcycles don't. In Holland motorcycles can drive in bike paths.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    .. In Holland motorcycles can drive in bike paths.
    Sort of. Motorized scooters, but not full on motorcycles. And not in Amsterdamn and some other large cities.

The purpose of jaywalking laws is so cops can ticket people for walking while black.
    https://features.propublica.org/walk...ial-profiling/
    Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    As someone who has changed more than few clutches with my own two hands, the notion of the throw-out bearing prematurely wearing out due to performing the function it was designed for is preposterous. The enemy of your clutch is heat.
    If those clutches are all on your own cars you might want to rethink that. If they were done on other people's cars, I retract my comment.

(Sorry for the multiple posts.)