Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Not where I drive around Seattle and to the mountains. Right lane is for semis doing 40-60. People who are the worst are the ones who follow all the rules without any situational awareness. The idiot who started this mess was going the speed limit in the left lane to pass. It's situational.

Attachment 309404
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but if you can get over to the right, you should. If it's a 2-lane interstate, do you just hang out in the left lane because the right lane is for semis doing 40-60?

And of course, everything is situational.

Picture 3-5 lanes that are always busy and every other car wants to be one car in front of where they are. While drinking a latte high on something. I don't"park" in NY lane. It's situational.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Picture 3-5 lanes that are always busy and every other car wants to be one car in front of where they are. While drinking a latte high on something.
    Yeah - that's an issue that only self-driving vehicles can fix.

Thanks to Caltrans for doing a shit job of rebuilding I80 in the Sierra. Within a couple of years of rebuilding the right lane is already deeply rutted. Just annoying when the road is dry--manly because it's a lot louder, but when those ruts are filled with snow, ice, or slush it gets scary. Hard to blame people for camping in the left lane as long as they get over when someone is coming up behind them.

I think a lot of people here will be really annoyed by self driving cars--since everyone will have to go the speed limit. Speaking of which, how are the AV's going to figure out the safe speed to drive in the snow and ice? I guess they can figure out if the car is losing traction. But what about approaching a shaded area where it may be icier than the sunny area. Will they know to slow down before the exit ramp when the interstate is dry but the ramp is likely to be icy? And how will they duplicate local knowledge? Everyone who lives at Donner Lake knows to slow down well before the Donner Lake interchange stop sign on EB Donner Pass Rd because it's always icier there than any other place on the road. As lousy as most of us are at driving, I think the techies underestimate how sophisticated the thinking of even the worst driver is.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    had the perfect asshole this morning.

the light on my street to the main street that goes out to the freeway is not perpendicular, it's about 45 degrees making it hard to see the oncoming traffic and Houston is typically 99% humidity in the morning so you leave your car out, the humidity is all over your windows making it hard to see out until they defrost.

so this big f150 is laying on his horn because I will not go until the light is green because I cannot see out the windows yet and cannot see if its clear. said f150 intentionally blows by me and gets ahead at the next light.

unfortunately for him, I know the lights and traffic patterns as its my daily drive. for the next 4 miles to the freeway; i'm directly behind him and do the take a picture of his license plate thing and give him some big waves as I pass him while he sits at the light because I know the traffic. that was fun.
    Have you ever heard of clearing your windows? This story is a giant fail. Let me guess, you drive around with snow covered windows peering out of little holes...

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Have you ever heard of clearing your windows? This story is a giant fail. Let me guess, you drive around with snow covered windows peering out of little holes...
    lol yeah that is fail as hell. unsurprising given the source.

It's almost like he is trying to be a jerk. Well, he's doing a great job at it.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

PSA: You drive like an asshole!!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Thanks to Caltrans for doing a shit job of rebuilding I80 in the Sierra. Within a couple of years of rebuilding the right lane is already deeply rutted.
    That has more to do with the traffic from the largest port and biggest swath of ag land in the US than it does with CalTrans. Granite and Ghilotti Bro’s replace miles of that road every summer with 12” of 5000psi concrete. Then it gets slapped with chain from millions of tons of big rig cargo for 5 months. Tell every US resident east of of the crest to stop eating tomatoes and buying Chinese crap off Amazon if you don’t want ruts on I80.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

It's almost like he is trying to be a jerk. Well, he's doing a great job at it.
    As we have learned lately, we're surrounded by them. And the jerkiest are getting worse.

And while we're at it, stop speeding through residential neighborhoods .
    Edited for efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    That has more to do with the traffic from the largest port and biggest swath of ag land in the US than it does with CalTrans. Granite and Ghilotti Bro’s replace miles of that road every summer with 12” of 5000psi concrete. Then it gets slapped with chain from millions of tons of big rig cargo for 5 months. Tell every US resident east of of the crest to stop eating tomatoes and buying Chinese crap off Amazon if you don’t want ruts on I80.

This. Semis plus chains will eat just about any road surface you can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    This. Semis plus chains will eat just about any road surface you can come up with.
    Seems like a good application for steel on steel

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    had the perfect asshole this morning.

the light on my street to the main street that goes out to the freeway is not perpendicular, it's about 45 degrees making it hard to see the oncoming traffic and Houston is typically 99% humidity in the morning so you leave your car out, the humidity is all over your windows making it hard to see out until they defrost.

so this big f150 is laying on his horn because I will not go until the light is green because I cannot see out the windows yet and cannot see if its clear. said f150 intentionally blows by me and gets ahead at the next light.

unfortunately for him, I know the lights and traffic patterns as its my daily drive. for the next 4 miles to the freeway; i'm directly behind him and do the take a picture of his license plate thing and give him some big waves as I pass him while he sits at the light because I know the traffic. that was fun.
    this is appalling and how pedestrians, children etc get hit. plan ahead 5 minutes or less in advance so your fucking windows can get unfogged or put in the small effort to wipe them with a towel or chamois
    bare minimum american laziness at it's finest right here. I'm embarrassed for you that you admitted this with the nerve to call out another driver
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Perhaps. You seem to know a lot more about it than I do. OTOH the rebuilt freeway developed ruts in a few years as bad as the ruts it took 50 years for the original pavement to develop. I have driven that freeway dozens of time per year for the last 30 and have never seen miles of pavement being replaced every summer, except when they did the big rebuild a few years ago. Since then they have replaced a few hundred yards of pavement on EB 80 near Kingvale and in 2018 the ground down and resurfaced the pavement east of Truckee but didn't replace it. I think the plan was to resurface the concrete with asphalt periodically, but they haven't been keeping up with the ruts.
    Certainly increased truck traffic has something to do with it, especially since the RR ripped out one set of tracks over the summit. A lot fewer trains than there used to be.
    In any case, my point is that driving in the right lane on 80 in the mountains is not pleasant.

Thanks to Caltrans for doing a shit job of rebuilding I80 in the Sierra. Within a couple of years of rebuilding the right lane is already deeply rutted. Just annoying when the road is dry--manly because it's a lot louder, but when those ruts are filled with snow, ice, or slush it gets scary. Hard to blame people for camping in the left lane as long as they get over when someone is coming up behind them.

I think a lot of people here will be really annoyed by self driving cars--since everyone will have to go the speed limit. Speaking of which, how are the AV's going to figure out the safe speed to drive in the snow and ice? I guess they can figure out if the car is losing traction. But what about approaching a shaded area where it may be icier than the sunny area. Will they know to slow down before the exit ramp when the interstate is dry but the ramp is likely to be icy? And how will they duplicate local knowledge? Everyone who lives at Donner Lake knows to slow down well before the Donner Lake interchange stop sign on EB Donner Pass Rd because it's always icier there than any other place on the road. As lousy as most of us are at driving, I think the techies underestimate how sophisticated the thinking of even the worst driver is.
    We grossly underestimate how shitty the worst driver is. Everything you mentioned can be programmed.
    focus.

Why do people merge on highways below the highway speed?
    Am I missing something?
    If the interstate is 65mph, why would you stop accelerating at 55? That doesn't seem safe. Especially when trucks then have to jump into the passing lane/try not to hit you.
    I'm not talking pedal to the metal here. I'm talking when there's a nice long merge lane.
    At least the on-ramp at this 1 street in town has 2 lanes for a start so I can pass people.
    My car is slow as fuck, the pedal isn't to the floor, and I'm passing people on the right so I don't get a truck up my ass.
    WTF?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    We grossly underestimate how shitty the worst driver is. Everything you mentioned can be programmed.
    Agreed. Think how bad the average driver is, then realize half the drivers on the road are worse.
    Am I missing something?
    If the interstate is 65mph, why would you stop accelerating at 55? That doesn't seem safe. Especially when trucks then have to jump into the passing lane/try not to hit you.
    I'm not talking pedal to the metal here. I'm talking when there's a nice long merge lane.
    At least the on-ramp at this 1 street in town has 2 lanes for a start so I can pass people.
    My car is slow as fuck, the pedal isn't to the floor, and I'm passing people on the right so I don't get a truck up my ass.
    WTF?
    See above.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Its the diparity between the shitty drivers a lot of the time. You have sketched out drivers driving 50km/h on a 100km/h highway and its bare and wet or semi drivers driving 60 or 70 and creating a 5km line up behind with more than a few idiots that like to drive 140 and pass on blind corners on a regular basis. A few minutes following someone going 60 and theyre channeling dukes of hazzard episodes

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Am I missing something?
    WTF?
    The on ramp near my house is a tight turn into a very short merge lane. Even pedal to the metal doesn't get me up to speed, at least not in a Forester.
    The next on ramp east is short and steeply up hill. Everyone in Truckee and all the semi drivers passing through knows to get into the left lane when approaching that on ramp to avoid getting stuck behind someone going 30. When they rebuilt 80 (see above) they were supposed to lengthen both on ramps. They didn't.

As far as whether AV's can be programmed to deal with snow and ice, I guess I don't have the same faith in tech that some do. The word that best describes tech is "hubris" IMO.

People who claim that European drivers never drive on the left except to pass have little or no experience driving in Europe. Yes, when traffic is light, as it frequently is on European freeways outside of cities, people drive that way. But when traffic is heavy, Europeans drive the same way Americans do --filling all lanes. When people are driving home from the mountains after a weekend of skiing the highways are typically full in all lanes. The asshole is the person who expects the car in front of him in the left lane to get out of the way, and then the next car, and the next, and the next. All these people the asshole wants out of his way are just as eager to drive faster than he is but hopefully not as entitled.

Or look at it this way--everyone is in the right lane except to pass. Because traffic is heavy the right lane is at a crawl. So people pull into the left lane to pass, as they are supposed to do, and they stay there, passing cars until enough people have pulled into the left lane that the two lanes are at roughly the same speed. The real asshole is the person who keeps switching lanes in the vain hope of going faster, meanwhile forcing people to hit the brakes, which slows up everyone. If we all calm the fuck down, stay in our lanes, stay far enough back to avoid hitting the brakes, we will all get home faster.

Interesting insight into the psychology of the left lane lounger, thanks.

In essence you’ve decided that you don’t think that the situation could get better and therefore we all should just sit in the left lane and abandon the laws of the road and simply wait?

Your description is of some sort of self deluded view of the reality in high traffic situations. Here in CO the right lane will usually move faster because people like you have decided to camp in the left lane and block everyone behind them. It’s a mass self defeating delusion. I pass hundreds of cars by staying right in a typical I70 traffic situation. Thousands of dumbasses sitting in the left lane thinking like you that “staying in our lanes” is somehow either effective or even legal.

At one point the other day, I came around a corner and could see the road ahead for several miles. There were dozens of cars lined up in the left lane and only two in the entire section of road in the right lane. The correct situation would be exactly the opposite.

Stupid.

And Woolley with your “right lane is for Semis”

Moronic. Go take a driving test or research the actual traffic laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

I understand that with a short on-ramp you may not get up to 65, but it's like people aren't even trying. Even when it's long enough, you can see people stop accelerating at 55. Like I said, am I missing something? Everyone doing it gives me the feeling I'm missing something.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I understand that with a short on-ramp you may not get up to 65, but it's like people aren't even trying. Even when it's long enough, you can see people stop accelerating at 55. Like I said, am I missing something? Everyone doing it gives me the feeling I'm missing something.
    Certain short on ramps can be problematic but in general people seem to have the misconception that the proper technique is to merge in as soon as possible and therefore at slow speed. Accelerate as much as you can and try to merge without forcing someone to hit the brakes to let you in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMnM_o2ZsaQ

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Certain short on ramps can be problematic but in general people seem to have the misconception that the proper technique is to merge in as soon as possible and therefore at slow speed. Accelerate as much as you can and try to merge without forcing someone to hit the brakes to let you in.
    Yup. Colorado State Patrol has even done a PSA regarding this topic. Not sure it has helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg90eRtelV4

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yup. Colorado State Patrol has even done a PSA regarding this topic. Not sure it has helped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg90eRtelV4
    Palpable exasperation.

I carpool to work some days and this morning I was driving in the HOV lane and someone came up right on my ass with the obvious expectation that I should get out of his way rather than him going around me. What's the expected etiquette here? Of course everyone seems to think the speed they're driving at is the proper speed and everyone else is just an asshole, but I feel like if you're doing a reasonable speed in the carpool lane if someone behind you wants to go faster it's up to them to pass you.