Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    pic of I80
    Your point?

My post was an homage to Bmills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I guarantee you that if people tried to use self-driving cars here pedestrians would start realizing that those cars would never put them in danger, and it will be chaos. Everyone will just walk in front of them and traffic will come to a complete halt (pedestrians are already aggressive enough quite often in assuming drivers won't hit them, and sometimes they're wrong--when they know they have impunity it will be over--and enforcing jaywalking laws is a joke that won't fly).
    Simple: implement an algorithm where the car randomly mows down 1% of all peds that walk in front of the car without the signal. That'll learn 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    lol, I'm not get off my lawn old yet!

But speaking of age, I'd wager there have never been as many septuagenarians (and their elders) on the road as there are today. I'd also wager that enthusiasm for driving has been on the wane for many decades (TRG dentists excluded). Add smartphones to the mix, and the fact that modern mass market automobiles require less skill to operate, are significantly quieter, more comfortable, and have more onboard distractions, has likely fostered less engaged drivers.
    Almost 40 years of driving I think ^^ this sums it up.
    Back in the day hitting a button(s) to change the radio or change a cassette was they only distraction if you calll it that.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    lol, I'm not get off my lawn old yet!

But speaking of age, I'd wager there have never been as many septuagenarians (and their elders) on the road as there are today. I'd also wager that enthusiasm for driving has been on the wane for many decades (TRG dentists excluded). Add smartphones to the mix, and the fact that modern mass market automobiles require less skill to operate, are significantly quieter, more comfortable, and have more onboard distractions, has likely fostered less engaged drivers.
    You're right. To speed up the conversion, we could revoke the licenses of the myriad of old people that should NOT be driving. We should do that anyways... they're dangerous.

Combine that with the *vast* majority of Millenials who really don't want to drive, the Gen-Z'ers who REALLY are completely uninterested, and you're getting close to critical mass.

Throw in the cost savings of not owning cars, and you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Simple: implement an algorithm where the car randomly mows down 1% of all peds that walk in front of the car without the signal. That'll learn 'em!
    I've been doing that on my own for years and the fuckers still don't learn.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    Almost 40 years of driving I think ^^ this sums it up.
    Back in the day hitting a button(s) to change the radio or change a cassette was they only distraction if you calll it that.
    Nah - people have been eating, applying makeup, shaving, reading newspapers, looking at maps, and any number of other non-driving activities for as long as I've been around.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You're right. To speed up the conversion, we could revoke the licenses of the myriad of old people that should NOT be driving. We should do that anyways... they're dangerous.
    Truth...

Throw in the cost savings of not owning cars, and you're there.
    Cost of ownership for a vehicle, on average, is currently almost 60 cents/mile. Estimates for single-rider autonomous are around 25 cents per mile, and around 15 cents per mile for shared autonomous. Owning a car is probably not going to make economic sense for a LOT of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Cost of ownership for a vehicle, on average, is currently almost 60 cents/mile. Estimates for single-rider autonomous are around 25 cents per mile, and around 15 cents per mile for shared autonomous. Owning a car is probably not going to make economic sense for a LOT of people.
    How many autonomous cars are running currently?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    How many autonomous cars are running currently?
    If I had to guess, probably hundreds. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Truth...

holy fuck..... lots o’destruction.

course, if we had some decent public transportation in this country, we wouldn’t have to worry bout bein’ mowed by senior citizens as much....

If I had to guess, probably hundreds. What's your point?
    Lets say there are 1000 exactly. There are 250 million registered vehicles in the US.

So .0004% of vehicles on the road are autonomous. They got a ways to go.

Majority of Americans don't use good economic sense when making car purchases.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

And that price is going to come down *dramatically* once the movement gains steam. Not sure what the future estimates are, but as time goes on, it will less and less sense for individuals to own their own vehicles.

Yeah, but their payments only $275 a month. So they got that going for them. I mean, who cares if it’s 72 months, who’s gonna live that long anyways?

84 month loans are a good deal....

<snip>
    This is true. But even the dummies will eventually realize it's WAY cheaper to not own a personal vehicle.

It's sort of the "ace-in-the-hole" of the entire autonomous car thing.

This is true. But even the dummies will eventually realize it's WAY cheaper to not own a personal vehicle.

It's sort of the "ace-in-the-hole" of the entire autonomous car thing.
    So people will shed their status symbols and ride around in public transportation style traveling pods?

Not gonna happen. No one will know how rich you are.

Lets say there are 1000 exactly. There are 250 million registered vehicles in the US.

So .0004% of vehicles on the road are autonomous. They got a ways to go.
    How many people owned smartphones in January 2009? How many people use Uber and Lyft today for trips they never would have considered calling a cab for ten years ago? These kinds of technologies tend to be adopted at exponential rates.

True. But, "What car should I buy?" is a very different question than "Should I buy a car?"

Sure, some people will buy their own as a status symbol. Others will find new status symbols, and the other >95% of the population will be happy to save money and not go crazy driving in traffic.

I think it inevitable... Just a loooong way off.

So people will shed their status symbols and ride around in public transportation style traveling pods?

Yeah - that might be an initial barrier... but once people realize how much RICHER they'll be without car payments, insurance, maintenance, etc. they'll get on board.

Stop hanging out with retired dentists. Not everyone sees a car as a status symbol. Much of the younger generation doesn't give a flying fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    Stop hanging out with retired dentists. Not everyone sees a car as a status symbol. Much of the younger generation doesn't give a flying fuck.
    Much of the "not-so-younger" generations ALSO don't give a fuck about automotive "status" - I mean... it's kinda retarded when you think about it.

Yeah - that might be an initial barrier... but once people realize how much RICHER they'll be without car payments, insurance, maintenance, etc. they'll get on board.
    And all the living space they could recoup in their house by eliminating all the space tied up by cars in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    And all the living space they could recoup in their house by eliminating all the space tied up by cars in the garage.
    These are the sorts of things that nobody thinks about until they actually THINK about car-free lives. Garages are kind of a waste of space.

No, the rich people will be using the flying cars and private tunnels under the roads peasants use.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    The majority of Americans see cars as a status symbol. You might not like it..... But thats the way it is.

Go look on Instagram and see how many douchebags have 100s of thousands of followers (kids) that idolize them because they own a Pagani. I just sold a car to one of them.

Cars are freedom.