Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Fucking tail gaters.

If there are more than 3 cars ahead of me, riding my ass is not going to get us there any faster.
    Bottom line, stay out of the passing lane unless you are actually passing someone. If passing someone, do it as fast as possible when there are others behind you. Don't be an asshole, do the best you can to keep everyone moving.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    So called professional semi drivers that pass each other at sub 1 mph speed differential.

Every fucking day.
    this makes me crazy

On my way into work this morning two different people changed lanes into my lane with about a one car length gap between their car and mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Here's the thing about crosswalks: the rule that you can't drive through one if a pedestrian has entered it, no matter how far away they are, is idiotic.
    In Washington the rule isn't nearly as restrictive and I wish more people followed it:
    The operator of an approaching vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian or bicycle to cross the roadway within an unmarked or marked crosswalk when the pedestrian or bicycle is upon or within one lane of the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. For purposes of this section "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes carrying traffic in one direction of travel, and includes the entire width of a one-way roadway

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Bottom line, stay out of the passing lane unless you are actually passing someone. If passing someone, do it as fast as possible when there are others behind you. Don't be an asshole, do the best you can to keep everyone moving.
    People who think that when there is a fair amount of traffic in all lanes all the people in the left lane should get out of their way so they can pass. Cardinal rule of safe driving--go with the flow of traffic. Weavers, tailgaters, people driving way faster than everyone else cause a lot more accidents than old farts like me doing 5 over. Chill out--you'll live longer and you'll get where you're going just as fast. (Now if I could only take my own advice.)

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    In Washington the rule isn't nearly as restrictive and I wish more people followed it:
    That restriction is probably reasonable in sparsely populated areas (or where people don't walk that much), but even that rule would create traffic catastrophes in really urban areas. I guess I don't actually know what the law states in these places, I have just relied on what others have claimed. So maybe it's not actually what some have told me.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    People who think that when there is a fair amount of traffic in all lanes all the people in the left lane should get out of their way so they can pass.
    It's the law in NC. Left lane for passing only. If you're blocking slower traffic and don't move over it's like a $200 fine. You can only block people behind you in the left lane if you're traveling faster, passing someone in the lane to the right of you.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

That restriction is probably reasonable in sparsely populated areas (or where people don't walk that much), but even that rule would create traffic catastrophes in really urban areas. I guess I don't actually know what the law states in these places, I have just relied on what others have claimed. So maybe it's not actually what some have told me.
    I'm sure we will get around to changing that law when people stop hitting pedestrians in marked crosswalks.

I get it, NYC, yeah yeah.

It's the law in NC. Left lane for passing only. If you're blocking slower traffic and don't move over it's like a $200 fine.
    You understand that you can be in the left lane passing people in the right lane with three cars in front of you and have people riding your bumper, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    That restriction is probably reasonable in sparsely populated areas (or where people don't walk that much), but even that rule would create traffic catastrophes in really urban areas
    It's certainly a good law to know when you're trying to make a right turn in an urban area with lots of pedestrians. You can make your turn as long as they're still on the left half of the road. You don't need to wait until the crosswalk is completely clear.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    1- They don't care about you or y our happiness

2- +2mph x 2000 miles = $$$

3- See #1.

I hate the asshole right lane passer who tries to run by me and ends up blocked by a semi that I was passing while the left hand passing lane is open. WTF?
    For at least the third time: I would be estatic if these trucks were passing each other at +/- 2 mph.

Turn signals. They're for telling everyone what you intend to do. They're not useful if you don't signal until you're 70% done with the turn / lane change / whatever.

Tonight, movie theater parking lot, really good spot up front. Saw family walking past. Got in car. Started car. Saw me stop and put blinker on. Sat for 3 minutes with engine running. Put car in reverse and sat for another SIX minutes with reverse lights on and foot on brake. I waited the entire time.. They then backed up one FOOT then sat another 2 minutes before finally backing out. I wasn't in a hurry and we just chilled laughing at all the cars stuck behind me who would sit for about 1-2 minutes before swinging out around me.
    So you sat there for 11 minutes waiting because you were too fucking lazy to park further away and walk? No wonder Americans are so fat.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Why shouldn't they be allowed to pass another vehicle that's going 2 mph less than theirs is? As long as they're not using the passing lane while not passing, albeit passing VERY s l o w l y it's within their right. I hate it too but they're going to go their max even if that means taking forever to pass others going slightly slower than their max..
    Dude, just no. Semi drivers who pull that maneuver are just assholes. I drove big trucks and cranes when I was doing oilfield work. I knew the trucks' limits. If I dared attempt to pass, I'd (A) first scan the horizon to make sure there were no uphills coming up for miles, and (B) make sure there wasn't a single freaking car in the passing lane. If either of those things were present, I wouldn't bother as I'd just end up neck and neck with the truck on the right, both of us failing to go anywhere fast. Truck drivers know their vehicle's limits and when they pull that stunt, they're just being inconsiderate dicks. I respect most semi drivers, but that doesn't mean there aren't left-lane hogging dickwads in the industry.

What's up with you making excuses for annoying behavior all the time like the cell phone turds at concerts? Haha.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...erts-and-shows

I bet you also hate cyclists riding in a pack climbing on a 2 lane mountain highway.
    Yes. Yes I do. Are you one of those lycra-clad, 4 abreast riding, road hogging cycle goons?

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    So called professional semi drivers that pass each other at sub 1 mph speed differential.

Every fucking day.
    My Swiss friend says they have a name for that. Elephant Race.

It's the law in NC. Left lane for passing only. If you're blocking slower traffic and don't move over it's like a $200 fine. You can only block people behind you in the left lane if you're traveling faster, passing someone in the lane to the right of you.
    From the NC vehicle code: (e) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, when appropriate signs have
    been posted, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle over and upon the
    inside lane, next to the median of any dual-lane highway at a speed less than the posted speed
    limit when the operation of said motor vehicle over and upon said inside lane shall impede the
    steady flow of traffic except when preparing for a left turn. "Appropriate signs" as used herein
    shall be construed as including "Slower Traffic Keep Right" or designations of similar import.

In other words--you can drive in the left lane unless you are driving below the speed limit AND there is a sign that says "slower traffic keep right".
    If you can find another provision in the NCVC that says what you say it says, show me.

It's one thing to drive on a sparsely occupied rural highway and another to drive on a busy road. CA, and I'm guessing most states, has a law that says that keeping right except to pass doesn't apply when all lanes are occupied. Imagine the chaos on a busy 4 lane freeway. Everyone is in the right lane, going well under the speed limit because of congestion, while one person gets to pass them all on the left. Then another person passes, and another. Meanwhile, the cars on the right speed up as more and more people leave the right lane to pass. Pretty soon, guess what you have--everybody going the same speed in both lanes. And the asshole who thinks he's entitled to pass everybody else riding someone's bumper.

Or to put it another way--on a busy road all lanes should be used in order to maximize the speed for everyone. Everyone gets to go faster, instead of just the entitled assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

Or to put it another way--on a busy road all lanes should be used in order to maximize the speed for everyone. Everyone gets to go faster, instead of just the entitled assholes.
    Yes, the entitled assholes who think the left lane is their private lane because they are going faster than everyone and will always tailgate you before you can move out of their way. Those people are the worst people on the road because it's intentional assholery rather than clueless bad habits. Then they go online and complain people camp out in the left lane.....uh, those people are slowing down just to piss you off buddy. They'd let you go if you weren't an entitled asshole. One good turd deserves another...

>99% of drivers do not understand the concept of merge->brake->turn. Usually all three phases are executed simultaneously, with 50/50 odds at best that turn signals will be utilized.

Here's the thing about crosswalks: the rule that you can't drive through one if a pedestrian has entered it, no matter how far away they are, is idiotic. I was driving a friend around L.A...
    I used to live in LA, and have subsequently spent a lot of time working there, and if the drivers up here in the fourth corner had even half their driving skills it would be a big improvement.

In Washington the rule isn't nearly as restrictive and I wish more people followed it
    And as you said, people still fuck it up. Here in the city of subdued excitement the chance of anyone stopping at a crosswalk that doesn't have extra signage and/or blinking lights is close 0%. Even with all that stuff, about half of the drivers don't stop.

this is is basically invisible:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.55.19 AM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	264440

and even this doesn't register with some folks around here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 9.08.03 AM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	264442
    Last edited by pisteoff; 01-14-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Drive right, pass left. The end.

Nice to see old goat predictably show up and defend his left lane sunday drives on a tuesday, again. Were you the guy railing against zipper merging in the last thread like this? Oh Bmills, please come back.

Also, zipper merging or GTFO. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    >99% of drivers do not understand the concept of merge->brake->turn. Usually all three phases are executed simultaneously, with 50/50 odds at best that turn signals will be utilized.
    This.

Fucking wandering, slowly, half-assed into the turn lane deserves:

Well, when I drive in NC then I will know that.

However the instances I was highlighting was driving 191 through a winding canyon with very sporadic passing lanes and only 2 lanes total.

Add to that the construction traffic going to work and the skier traffic going to ski and there is no need to even pass anyone. The train will get you to the station when it pulls in, passing me will only let you see the next cars license plate. Tailgating me is liable to get you a handful of drywall screws.

On my way into work this morning two different people changed lanes into my lane with about a one car length gap between their car and mine.
    That frustrates the shit out of me. If I see it coming I usually goose it and shut the space down. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. When I'm in my car, which is pretty small, I get taken advantage of often, usually to the point I have to stand on the brakes to avoid losing the front of the car, which frequently causes accidents behind me. When I'm in my old beater Durango it doesn't happen nearly as often and when it does I don't slow down hoping they clip me because it will mess up their tin can more than my truck.