Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    It's also important that one buy the largest, most inefficient vehicle they can to just be in the way with and not know how to park.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yes, people do that and it's bizarre.
    Bizarre is the phenomenon (probably already mentioned) that when you come up on someone in the passing lane and they get over to let you through they instantly accelerate to at least your speed if not more like you just woke them the fuck up out of their phone and now it’s a drag race from 67-80.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Bizarre is the phenomenon (probably already mentioned) that when you come up on someone in the passing lane and they get over to let you through they instantly accelerate to at least your speed if not more like you just woke them the fuck up out of their phone and now it’s a drag race from 67-80.
    WA drivers in GA?

'cause that's common here.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Midwest drivers who straddle the lane so someone can’t pass on the right. Including at intersections where they won’t let someone go down the shoulder to make a right turn

I think it's a psychological thing and most people don't even realize they are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    We have some like that in SD though they are pretty good about only being on during rush hour. Putting them at the top is still a problem as you don't have time to get up to full speed before hitting traffic, and its even more of a problem with said people who don't try to get up to speed.

The one near my office can be especially bad, right above where I-5 and 805 split. The two right lanes go to 805, which doesn't back up until a mile further so cars in those lanes are going full speed. I-5 often backs up almost to the the on ramp. Since I take the 5 I have to scramble to get up to speed to cross over 2 lanes of 805 going full speed only to slam on the brakes in the I-5 lane. Having the meter light further back there would make a huge difference.
    I was shocked they have ramp metering in south Dakota, until I got to the 2nd paragraph.

For those lamenting how people don't get to max speed in the on ramp before merging, there is a reason (not a good one, but a reason): the faster they go, the quicker they eat up the merge lane, making the whole process of merging more scary, because there's much less space/time for them to do so. That scariness is compounded by the fact that there are people who don't like letting people merge in front of them (citation: see thread title), which just makes merging that much more terrifying to them.

So, instead, they jump in just as soon as they can. Adding to the problem, and making the thread title a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I was 16, just got my license, and back then, (right after electricity was invented), you could just go out and drive. None of this driving with adults only probation period or whatever. Anyway, I got my buddies in the car, and I'm merging onto the freeway and timing out the merge, when my friend Mark yells from the back: "Fucking floor it you pussy, you never brake on a ramp."
    Done.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    For those lamenting how people don't get to max speed in the on ramp before merging, there is a reason (not a good one, but a reason): the faster they go, the quicker they eat up the merge lane, making the whole process of merging more scary, because there's much less space/time for them to do so. That scariness is compounded by the fact that there are people who don't like letting people merge in front of them (citation: see thread title), which just makes merging that much more terrifying to them.

So, instead, they jump in just as soon as they can. Adding to the problem, and making the thread title a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Or you do what my grandfather did, stop dead on the ramp, get rear ended, and break half the bones in my grandmothers body.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I was 16, just got my license, and back then, (right after electricity was invented), you could just go out and drive. None of this driving with adults only probation period or whatever. Anyway, I got my buddies in the car, and I'm merging onto the freeway and timing out the merge, when my friend Mark yells from the back: "Fucking floor it you pussy, you never brake on a ramp."
    Done.
    parents never liked those friends, but they proved useful in life learning
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Or you do what my grandfather did, stop dead on the ramp, get rear ended, and break half the bones in my grandmothers body.
    It's like a race in here between you and Wooly for oldest bad driving story.

Can't wait to see how it all ends.

Or begins. We're getting back towards horseless carriage stuff at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Or begins. We're getting back towards horseless carriage stuff at this point.
    What if we go back to using horse drawn chariots with spiked wheels. Merging would not be an issue

riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

It certainly didn’t help Old Goat’s grandparents.

Can't wait to see how it all ends.
    Going downhill on a narrow two lane into Ithaca following a panel truck doing 10 under the limit. No shoulders. Camaro gets on my tail but I ignored it. Camaro hits the gas to pass me and the truck. Not a good look, so I back off to put some distance between my Caprice and the truck. Good thing I did, parts of the Camaro came flying over the top of the truck from the head on crash and I was able to brake/turn/slide/go onto a side street. Be careful out there.

I win?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

The car behind honked his "Awoogah!" horn, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Going downhill on a narrow two lane into Ithaca following a panel truck doing 10 under the limit. No shoulders. Camaro gets on my tail but I ignored it. Camaro hits the gas to pass me and the truck. Not a good look, so I back off to put some distance between my Caprice and the truck. Good thing I did, parts of the Camaro came flying over the top of the truck from the head on crash and I was able to brake/turn/slide/go onto a side street. Be careful out there.

I win?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9QpDvhshOQ

^^^ This.....

EDIT.....Posted by mistake in the wrong thread.....sorry

PSA: You drive like an asshole!!

You won't be happy unless everyone gets out of your way so you can go the speed you want, and anyone who doesn't get out of your way gets derisively referred to as a left lane lounger. Your critical thinking skills, at least on this point, have failed you.

Let's say you're on an interstate, 2 lanes, lot of volume so everyone's going 50 in both lanes (speed limit 65). You want to drive 80. I want to drive 75. We're both in the left lane. According to you, neither of us should be in that lane: "If both lanes are moving at the same speed then why are you to the left?" Do you really think we all should move to the left so you can go 80? What if you're preferred speed is 70, we all should move left so you can go 70? Even if I want to go 75? Do we all need banners in our cars declaring our preferred speed so we can sort this out? Sometimes it simply isn't possible to go 80 when there's heavy volume, and it has nothing to do with cars not moving to the right lane.

Yes, if there's space on the road, slower cars should be on the right, I'm sure old goat would agree. And Americans can do better at this for sure, I bet he'd agree on that too. But there are times where that protocol simply doesn't work, something you're too rigid and self centered to see.

ETA: it's like you think slow moving traffic wouldn't exist if we just all moved to the right, which is silly.

The core problem is that people like you and goat think that you are the arbiters of when the rules of the road apply and when they don’t.

Don’t worry about how fast I or anyone else wants to go. That’s irrelevant and just shows your motivations - policing others’ behavior. This ain’t the bathroom line in 1st grade where cutting the line is rude and should be policed by you.

Don’t abandon the protocol and be willfully blind to the consequence.

Just follow the rules of the and stop with your judgements about when others should be going what speed. My or any other drivers desired speed is irrelevant to how you drive.

Stay right. If you need to pass, get left, pass, and return right.

Don’t think stupid shit that you and goat have mentioned shouldn’t be considered like,

‘But I’m keeping up with the car in front of me in the left lane.’

‘I think the guy behind me wants to go too fast’

‘Oh well there is too much traffic so I’ll stay left’

Or what the fuck ever.

STAY RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS

The ironic thing is that morons staying in the left lane in heavy stop and go traffic are net going slower than I in the right lane. I’ve done it dozens or hundreds of times.

In the end all the left lane loungers are fucking over

# 1 themselves
    #2 everyone behind

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

You're utterly delusional and narcissistic on this point, but you keep doing you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You're utterly delusional and narcissistic on this point, but you keep doing you.
    Talk about narcissistic.

You want to decide when the laws of the road apply and when not.

I think "stay right except to pass" falls apart in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Pretty much everyone wants to pass at that point. So, what, that lane is just for those who really, really want to pass in those conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    50-whatever years later Bill Kirchen (guitar on that track) still kicks ass. Go see him.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think "stay right except to pass" falls apart in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Pretty much everyone wants to pass at that point. So, what, that lane is just for those who really, really want to pass in those conditions?
    Dead stop. Stop and go, sure whatever. Problem is the grey area in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

‘But I’m keeping up with the car in front of me in the left lane.'
    I'm all the way with you except on this point. If you're trying to pass the motherfucker in front of you in the left lane who won't get out of the way, you're not part of the problem. You're just in the left lane, trying to pass, getting stymied by the asshole in front of you.