Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Yes, someone mustve picked up a pair?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Clearly no...

Just sprung for a pair. It'll be a couple of weeks, but I'll post my experience on them.

STOKED
    Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Just sprung for a pair. It'll be a couple of weeks, but I'll post my experience on them.

2020 Dalbello Lupo Air

One musing: it’s a matter of a couple few seasons before we see 1150-1200g 120-130 flex boots. Looking at the Air, it’s still molded from the same form as the AX series with removable sole blocks, and the size 26.5 has a 307mm bsl (my 26.5 Vulcans are 294 mm). If Dalbello were to use a different, optimized mold I’m sure they could easily drop >100g off the shell weight. So, you’d have full alpine performance at the weight of the first TLT5/TLT6. Not really much reason to have a boot any more with sub-par downhill performance (eg: F1, Skorpius, X-Alp) unless you’re racing or pushing your personal limits of vertical/distance/time, or you really like crazy amounts of ROM. I’m not in the know, but there must be boots in testing/close to production that are in this realm. I guess we’ll see what comes up at the upcoming ISPO.

.... all of which makes me question my purchasing decision ;-p

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by dub_xion; 01-18-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Got a pair a week ago. Only 1 day in them so far but some initial thoughts.

I replaced all the snowboard hardware and the lower cable system with traditional dalbello cables and buckles. The placement of the ankle ladder on the stock set up was putting pressure right on my instep artery and causing numb feet. Also I wanted independent control of ankle and lower buckles. Added a static power strap. 90g weight penalty for this.

The walkmode/skimode bumpstop does effect forward range of motion when walking if you keep tension on the cuff. I found with the cuff loose it didn't really negatively effect walking. New vibram soles are awesome. No snow build up like previous touring soles. Much lower profile so i find they are easier to get into tech toes. Good grip on snowmobile runners and no immediate damage from sledding. Will be epoxying on some rubber between toe and heel pads to protect arch from sled, the plastic will be destroyed quickly with out it.

They walked well and skied deep pow well. I never noticed I was in new boots all day, which to me is a great sign. Wasn't a great test of forward stiffness as it was a ride your tails and surf your way down kind of descent, but rearward and lateral stiffness is great. Pretty nice having a simpler change over and not having to dig out tongues of the pack. Noticeably lighter the 125ax I have been using for the past 2 years. I used old intuition liners from Lupo carbon TI but the stock ones look pretty good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	processed.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	311473
    Last edited by skisurfmirth; 01-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Got a pair a week ago. Only 1 day in them so far but some initial thoughts.

I replaced all the snowboard hardware and the lower cable system with traditional dalbello cables and buckles. The placement of the ankle ladder on the stock set up was putting pressure right on my instep artery and causing numb feet. Also I wanted independent control of ankle and lower buckles. Added a static power strap. 90g weight penalty for this.

The walkmode/skimode bumpstop does effect forward range of motion when walking if you keep tension on the cuff. I found with the cuff loose it didn't really negatively effect walking. New vibram soles are awesome. No snow build up like previous touring soles. Much lower profile so i find they are easier to get into tech toes. Good grip on snowmobile runners and no immediate damage from sledding. Will be epoxying on some rubber between toe and heel pads to protect arch from sled, the plastic will be destroyed quickly with out it.

They walked well and skied deep pow well. I never noticed I was in new boots all day, which to me is a great sign. Wasn't a great test of forward stiffness as it was a ride your tails and surf your way down kind of descent, but rearward and lateral stiffness is great. Pretty nice having a simpler change over and not having to dig out tongues of the pack. Noticeably lighter the 125ax I have been using for the past 2 years. I used old intuition liners from Lupo carbon TI but the stock ones look pretty good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	processed.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	311473
    Good info. I was wondering about instep pressure. Just thinking about that yesterday. I was wondering if a pad like some snowboard straps have would be of benefit. Hope your buckle works well. Better durability that way.
    Good to hear the sole doesnt clog up with snow as bad now. Thats my one gripe with my lupo c ti , especially now that im in pivots. PITA sometimes after an on hill boot hike.
    Can you comment on the fit compared to your old c ti ? Thats my main concern. I have a tiny punch on one of my lupo ti on the outside of the fore foot but nothing major. Seems like a reasonably good fit out of the box so im hesitant to get into an ax type fit , not knowing how much mire room they have in the heel mostly, but really everywhere

90 g weight penalty for all that extra hardware doesn't seem bad at all.

Great, thanks for posting! What's the weight of the boot, if I can ask? Interesting you put on a strap- I ski my Vulcans w/o strap in the backcountry and they do fine, was happy to see the upper buckle is higher in the stock configuration.

I don’t understand where the stiffness comes from still

I’d guess there is a piece that fills in the two lateral walls the back. This would stop them from coming together and stiffen the boot like the flex adjuster on Roxa r3s.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I don’t understand where the stiffness comes from still
    +1

[QUOTE=margotron;5868360]I don’t understand where the stiffness comes from

This bump stop plastic block. Bolts in through the upper walkmode bolt. When flexing foward the block hits the lower, and your force deforms the lower like a typical overlap boot. Only one bolt attaches it. Easy to remove if you don't like it. Then you would have to use a tongue like the other lupos. Carbon on the left, air on the right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_1579490697007.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	311536

Great, thanks for posting! What's the weight of the boot, if I can ask? Interesting you put on a strap- I ski my Vulcans w/o strap in the backcountry and they do fine, was happy to see the upper buckle is higher in the stock configuration.
    Mine are size 26.5, I got 1140g for the shell sans liner, 1230g with my mods. Stock liner is 240g. I like the straps, put them on all the boots.

" Can you comment on the fit compared to your old c ti ? Thats my main concern. I have a tiny punch on one of my lupo ti on the outside of the fore foot but nothing major. Seems like a reasonably good fit out of the box so im hesitant to get into an ax type fit , not knowing how much mire room they have in the heel mostly, but really everywhere"

I think you'll need to try on an AX and see. I prefer the narrower 98mm last of the C ti, but the AX is really comfy and great for touring.

" Can you comment on the fit compared to your old c ti ? Thats my main concern. I have a tiny punch on one of my lupo ti on the outside of the fore foot but nothing major. Seems like a reasonably good fit out of the box so im hesitant to get into an ax type fit , not knowing how much mire room they have in the heel mostly, but really everywhere"

I think you'll need to try on an AX and see. I prefer the narrower 98mm last of the C ti, but the AX is really comfy and great for touring.
    Thanks. I hoped that itd just be a bit more comfy for touring kind of thing. I guess i should just try it on for the heel fit. Main thing is id like to not have my heel swimming

The AX mold is 1mm bigger in every direction. It adds up to a lot of room. for some this is an issue for others it is not.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The AX mold is 1mm bigger in every direction. It adds up to a lot of room. for some this is an issue for others it is not.
    Exactly

One musing: it’s a matter of a couple few seasons before we see 1150-1200g 120-130 flex boots. Looking at the Air, it’s still molded from the same form as the AX series with removable sole blocks, and the size 26.5 has a 307mm bsl (my 26.5 Vulcans are 294 mm). If Dalbello were to use a different, optimized mold I’m sure they could easily drop >100g off the shell weight. So, you’d have full alpine performance at the weight of the first TLT5
    something like that with a light tongue ?

https://www.friflyt.no/utstyr/skiuts...toevel-quantum

Name:  dalbello-quantum-crop660.jpg
Views: 3401
Size:  56.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by buenonda View Post
    something like that with a light tongue ?
    Ha, I was just oogling those this morning after browsing ISPO offerings! Pretty sure with that bonded shell I'm going to take a back seat for at least a season to see how they do in real world testing.

Just posted a new discussion thread for the Quantum.

1 day skiing kicking horse on these and a 3 day hut trip. So far really impressed with performance. They have a more progressive flex than the Lupo carbon and start off a bit stiffer, but are less bouncy. Lateral and rearward stiffness is amazing. I skied quite hard on the airs inbounds at KH and they felt awesome. Did a test with a carbon on left foot and air on right and the air felt just as powerful.

Walking they are nice and light, but the forward ROM is less than the Lupo carbon. Great boot for sledding, the vibram touring soles are so much better than past offerings. Rubber patch on arch is a must for sledding though. I got some soletech slip resistant sheeting and it seems to be holding up great so far and offers excellent grip.

If the lupos fit well, and your looking for a lighter boot, these so far seem really good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_103739.jpeg 
Views:	158 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	312534

Rubber patch on arch is a must for sledding though. I got some soletech slip resistant sheeting and it seems to be holding up great so far and offers excellent grip.
    Nice! I'll probably do the same for a little extra gription and safety for scrambling and felled-tree river crossings. Too bad Five Ten nixed their C4 dot resole kits.

Great conversation about an interesting boot option. I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Dynafit Hoji free tours (130) but I think I will wait until I can try a pair of these on. I think powder 7 in Golden Colorado has both in stock.
    I am interested in any comparison between the two.

Just got these in. Carpet testing: flex is a little stiffer and more smooth than the Vulcans w/o tongue, and ROM feels about the same, but I need to loosen the cuff buckles more than just flipping the lever open to get that same ROM. 1328g out of the box in a 26.5. With my insoles in, they're about 130g lighter than the Vulcans in (my personal) touring configuration w/o tongues, no power strap. Slightly noticeably lighter on the legs, but enough to know it'll help some over the course of a day. I'll probably be skiing lift-served days with my power wrap liners in these. More to come!

1 day skiing kicking horse on these and a 3 day hut trip. So far really impressed with performance. They have a more progressive flex than the Lupo carbon and start off a bit stiffer, but are less bouncy. Lateral and rearward stiffness is amazing. I skied quite hard on the airs inbounds at KH and they felt awesome. Did a test with a carbon on left foot and air on right and the air felt just as powerful.

Walking they are nice and light, but the forward ROM is less than the Lupo carbon. Great boot for sledding, the vibram touring soles are so much better than past offerings. Rubber patch on arch is a must for sledding though. I got some soletech slip resistant sheeting and it seems to be holding up great so far and offers excellent grip.

If the lupos fit well, and your looking for a lighter boot, these so far seem really good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200127_103739.jpeg 
Views:	158 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	312534
    What did you use for glue?