Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sun exposure vs Dying early: Science is almost in!

Bring on the reflective boards and baby oil!

Well you still don't want to burn. Ease into it a bit.

The article makes a lot of sense. I would point out that finding decreased mortality in people who spend a lot of time outdoors could also be due to the fact that these people are not just getting more sun; they also are likely to be much more active. Until someone does a study that shows that people who use sunscreen have a higher mortality compared to people with similar outdoors lifestyles who don't use it, it's too soon to say that the sunscreen itself is harmful. In the meantime I'll continue to use sunscreen when I'm going to have prolonged sun exposure, in order to avoid burning, but not on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I would point out that finding decreased mortality in people who spend a lot of time outdoors could also be due to the fact that these people are not just getting more sun; they also are likely to be much more active.
    i think that's the point the article is making, but then i kind of lost the plot when i read about the suntanning swedish women, so don't quote me on that.

I read the article as saying that the sun exposure itself was beneficial, which is a reasonable hypothesis but not yet proven, at least not proven by the research referred to in the article. There may be other research of course. Does someone who runs up and down ladders banging nails all day with their shirt off have the same mortality as someone who is unemployed and lies in the sun all day and gets no exercise? Is it the sun, the exercise, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I read the article as saying that the sun exposure itself was beneficial, which is a reasonable hypothesis but not yet proven, at least not proven by the research referred to in the article. There may be other research of course. Does someone who runs up and down ladders banging nails all day with their shirt off have the same mortality as someone who is unemployed and lies in the sun all day and gets no exercise? Is it the sun, the exercise, or both?
    Both. Vitamin D levels are strongly correlated with (/to?) mood. Research has intensified in past decade or two focusing on relationship between Vitamin D deficiency and depression. To the point where many people take Vitamin D in place of or along with antidepressants. We get a lot of Vitamin D from the sun. Then again, endorphins help with depression & mood as well. So yeah, both. I’m no scientist, though

Name:  6800F3E5-37DD-4979-A065-C0EFDDA08160.jpeg
Views: 652
Size:  78.0 KB

It's kind of interesting to research that skin cancer rates started to increase at the same time sunscreen was getting popular.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    It's kind of interesting to research that skin cancer rates started to increase at the same time sunscreen was getting popular.
    So, sunscreen causes skin cancer! Thanks for solving that, Herr Doktor.

One possible explanation--when I was a kid I got bad sunburns, as did a lot of other kids. Nobody used sunscreen. As boomers like me became adults sunscreen became popular, and we started getting skin cancers, a result not of the sunscreen but of our childhood sunburns. It will be interesting to see what happens to people who grew up being slathered with the sun screen, that is, if they don't die early because of lack of Vitamin D.

We had friends visit one summer-- 4 blond kids and a dermatologist mother. It took a full hour to get those kids ready to leave the house, in long sleeves and pants, big hats, and massive applications of sunscreen to the little exposed skin.

In preindustrial times pale skin was a sign of wealth--it meant you didn't work outside. In industrial times a tan has become a sign of wealth--you have the time to be out in the sun. Or you can dye your skin orange.

Yeah I was in a pool for 6 hours/day nearly every day during the summer growing up and never put on sunscreen. Most people back then put on baby oil to intensify the sun. I'll be surprised if I do not get skin cancer at some point and go to a dermatologist every year for a checkup. After all, it's a University office and where else can i have hot (sometimes) young doctor chicks inspect my package? Or any other chick beside my wife for that matter.

Sun exposure vs Dying early: Science is almost in!

Not a fan of slathering chemicals on my skin, especially ones that kill the coral I am snorkelling through. Also not a fan of being slothful in the sun, I’d rather be exploring. I like to eat good, minimally processed food; supplements seem to be shown more and more that they provide more benefit to the provider than the consumer. Lots of cool fabrics available and I have no problem wearing a hat; a hard day’s work or play in the sun feels good and funny tan lines bother me not at all. And a cold bevy enjoyed for a half hour in the sun relaxing between activities is well earned.
    When a marketer of some product uses my impending demise as its prime marketing strategy, I tend to turn a deaf ear. But I’m sure there is a study somewhere that will chastise me. Oh well, can’t satisfy everyone.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 01-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.

I believe the good book says, “The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.”
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

In Antigua I was talking to these white people from montreal back in the day who were really red so I asked em what they were using for sunscreen, buddy said SPF 3 and sometimes even 5, to which i replied I 'm already the right color and i'm using 30 ... yeah but we only got 5 days to get a tan eh!

Now i use 60 and I cover up cuz I noticed all the natives were sitting in the shade so I figured they know something
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    So, sunscreen causes skin cancer! Thanks for solving that, Herr Doktor.
    You're a complete idiot sometimes. At one point as a Paramedic, I was told to give everyone Oxygen, because the theory was Oxygen was good for you. Well from what I'm being told now that giving everyone Oxygen has probably killed a shit load of people because Oxygen can be toxic. Feel free to believe what our overlords tell us. I've learned to be skeptical of everything. I also love how you made the correlation to sunscreen causing skin cancer, last I checked, I didn't say that. I think there could be some other causes too but it is too damn coincidental to see the rise of skin cancer to coincide with the popularity of sunscreens.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Iceman won that exchange.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

You're a complete idiot sometimes. At one point as a Paramedic, I was told to give everyone Oxygen, because the theory was Oxygen was good for you. Well from what I'm being told now that giving everyone Oxygen has probably killed a shit load of people because Oxygen can be toxic. Feel free to believe what our overlords tell us. I've learned to be skeptical of everything. I also love how you made the correlation to sunscreen causing skin cancer, last I checked, I didn't say that. I think there could be some other causes too but it is too damn coincidental to see the rise of skin cancer to coincide with the popularity of sunscreens.
    Funny, I just recerted my O2 endorsement yesterday. Still recommended to give O2 for 1st aid; use for longer than a couple hours is only problematic for those with health conditions like heavy smokers. Seems those individuals have switched from CO2 to O2 blood concentration as the control for breathing after a few hours of supplemental O2 use. But this shouldn’t be a primary concern of the 1st responder, especially given the amount of O2 most teams have on hand at a site (a couple hours at 10 l/min).
    If the med professionals here know something different, would be happy to bring that to my instructor.

Sunburn hurts like hell. Being a ginger, I went through a LOT of Solarcaine when I was a kid. Perhaps that causes cancer? My ginger uncle spent a lot of time in the sun and had a massive lesion on his forehead that never healed for the entire time I knew him, decades. I don't think that's what killed him when he died well in to his 80s though. Gotta wonder how many people before the 70s had skin cancer which was never properly diagnosed as such, skin cancer that went metastatic and was then diagnosed as something else cancer.

Anyway, getting burned hurts. People who have gotten burned badly are going to use a lot more screen and post treatment. I usually go through a fair amount of aloe vera lotion after a weekend at the beach... even when I try to keep a coat of spray on 30-50 spf on my exposed skin.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

i hide from the sun. i don't like using sunscreen but i am super fair-skinned and have been burned badly a couple times. my first line of defense is clothing. i cover up as much as possible. i use 60-70 spf on whatever is left exposed. my mom has had a couple of surgeries for skin cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Name:  6800F3E5-37DD-4979-A065-C0EFDDA08160.jpeg
Views: 652
Size:  78.0 KB

Yu cannot mix mattah ad anti mattah cold!

I work outside in the summer and rarely wear sunscreen. I credit my California-skin. So I am going to live forever or die much much sooner from skin cancer. Stay tuned for updates from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Iceman won that exchange.
    You're right, he did win that exchange. To come on here and expect people to have critical thinking skills is way too much to ask for. What was I thinking! Maybe I shouldn't order anymore 2betties from his wife and daughter cause there isn't really any studies concluding high fructose corn syrup is bad for you so I should order some tasty twinkies and ding dongs instead!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Funny, I just recerted my O2 endorsement yesterday. Still recommended to give O2 for 1st aid; use for longer than a couple hours is only problematic for those with health conditions like heavy smokers. Seems those individuals have switched from CO2 to O2 blood concentration as the control for breathing after a few hours of supplemental O2 use. But this shouldn’t be a primary concern of the 1st responder, especially given the amount of O2 most teams have on hand at a site (a couple hours at 10 l/min).
    If the med professionals here know something different, would be happy to bring that to my instructor.
    The first I learned of the change in using Oxygen was about 8 years ago and the ACLS instructor said it takes about 10 years for the medical community to totally adopt a new change. According to my CCEMTP and ACLS classes, yes you can do harm giving Oxygen when it isn't needed and even when it's only a couple of hours. I would do some research on that if I were you.

I wonder if people used to cover up or go in the shade and now they can spend more time with “bare” skin in the sun with sunscreen. Any cancer reduction benefits of using sunscreen could be offset by the increased exposure time.