Which Black Crows ski as a one-ski tele quiver?

I have an opportunity to get some Black Crows skis at a bit of a discount and wanted to get your opinion.

I’m 6’1”, 170, tele. Strong skier. Colorado.

70/30 inbounds/tour. Most b/c skiing is pretty mellow terrain. I do have a 95mm Carbon touring ski but I hardly ever use them. NTN.

I’m thinking the Atris. But maybe the Corvus? Feeebird corvus? Maybe even the anima?

These will be used on all snow types including groomers, mank and pow.

Whattya think?

Don't go with their touring models for tele. I know 4 people personally here in CO that destroyed their Crows within 1 season, ripped right out, 2 of those even with inserts. Black Crows warrantied them all, but said after the fact that they did not design, nor intend for their touring skis to hold telemark bindings.

New regular Corvus with metal 188cm = 2050g per. Love mine! \\

I should add...

I typically like a more “playful” ski than a full-on tank. Yeah I want a ski that is stable at speed, but more so a ski that is quick to initiate turns and small airs.

Leaning toward Atris, 189

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I should add...

I typically like a more “playful” ski than a full-on tank. Yeah I want a ski that is stable at speed, but more so a ski that is quick to initiate turns and small airs.

I'm 6' 170 and love the Atris 189, though my heel is affixed. Atris is plenty stable (while not being a tank), but still agile and fun. I haven't skied the new Corvus, but it sounds more playful/approachable then some previous versions. I'd also add that since you want a primarily inbounds ski, the weight savings on the Freebirds isn't that much to justify going that direction.

I should add...

I would not describe the Corvus as a tank. Though for its weight it’s surprising power is amazing. It’s a complete new ski now.
    Sounds like you have your mind made up but the metal suggestion was to help you combat the possibility of pulling binding on tele setup.

I’m your size and skied the 2019 Corvus (183) and it’s dead easy to ski. Good edgehold when I wanted/needed it and was able to slip bumps and tight areas on demand. Soft shovel eased turn initiation but didn’t flap much when I hit top speed in the open. Was damp n smooth enough when I hit some refrozen not to rattle my fillings. Big thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I’m your size and skied the 2019 Corvus (183) and it’s dead easy to ski. Good edgehold when I wanted/needed it and was able to slip bumps and tight areas on demand. Soft shovel eased turn initiation but didn’t flap much when I hit top speed in the open. Was damp n smooth enough when I hit some refrozen not to rattle my fillings. Big thumbs up!
    I concur. It’s my do-all travel ski with Shifts. Skied on hardpack and in 10”+ == party time

Think about the deamon, too. Many people liked the mantras for Tele. Should be more "playful" than a corvus.

I never teled but I like it as an all-mountain ski.

Hmmm maybe leaning toward the Corvus now!

Is the Atris close in weight to the slimmed down ‘19 Corvus?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Published weights are almost the same

2000g Atris
    1950g Corvus (2019)

Huh that’s a tough call. As mentioned I think you can rule out the Freebird version at least - if you’re skiing 70/30 inbounds I wouldn’t go any lighter.

For me the Corvus is super easy to ski, but it’s best running at higher speeds. The ski just wants to ski down the fall line instead of across it. Not to say you can’t make slalom turns with it cause you totally can if needed, but my best runs on the Corvus have been when I am going fast, making GS and popping off features while eating up vert.

Wish I had something to offer on the Atris. I’m sure it’s a kick ass ski, but my guess is it’ll be better at slow speeds and twitchier on the top end. It also has camber if that’s important to you, although I can’t say I’ve ever missed the camber in the Corvus.

Well goddamn y’all changed my mind.

188 Corvus

Pretty much unanimous support.

Atris

Quote Originally Posted by MMMSKI View Post
    Atris
    Goddamnit man

Had another fantastic day on them today. Hard packed to dust on crust in chilly sunshine. Started out zooming on Kastle FX95 HP then swapped over to Corvus. Surprised the hell out of me as they didn’t skip a beat - almost more fun, when arguably they shouldn’t be in those conditions in comparison. Damp and grippy but could slip my way through the firm bumps. Happy as hell!

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Had another fantastic day on them today. Hard packed to dust on crust in chilly sunshine. Started out zooming on Kastle FX95 HP then swapped over to Corvus. Surprised the hell out of me as they didn’t skip a beat - almost more fun, when arguably they shouldn’t be in those conditions in comparison. Damp and grippy but could slip my way through the firm bumps. Happy as hell!
    Interesting. Are they more playful than the fx?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Interesting. Are they more playful than the fx?
    Yes. Makes more turn shapes and slarves well when whipping into tighter lines. Has sharp control in shot then handles run outs like a boss.
    I’ll bring next time we ski. I’d be curious to hear your take..

Well goddamn y’all changed my mind.

188 Corvus

Pretty much unanimous support.
    I would be curious what you think. Starting to think about a replacement to my explosives (180s). While looking for another pair, with help from mntlion, I'm starting to think about other (more expensive) options.

Fx95hp were another ski on my mental list. Also a pinhead, but at 145-150lbs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ended up pulling the trigger. On Atris

But now second guessing myself omg what a dork

You are galibier_numero_deux
    U.P.: up

Think the right call was either Atris or Corvus. So, let us know what you think..

Atris

You made the right call with the Atris'

I skied the 189 Atris and found it...meh. Like the Corvus better. YMMV...