Defiance Pro Junior Skis

looking at picking up a couple of sets of these for my 8 and 6 year old, anyone have any reason as to not do it?

They don’t ski very often so are definitely in the beginner to intermediate stage and obviously sticking to groomers. From what I’ve read they are a good starter ski for my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Unless the kids are racing, proper size and GOOD bindings are the only things that really matter with kids skis starting out. Quite a few people just do seasonal rentals for kids. They usually allow them to exchange stuff if the kids grow out of boots or whatever mid season. I always preferred having our own gear so they could bust it out and stomp around in the yard when they were really little. Good practice for the little ones to learn to put on the gear, fall and get back up, walk around, fishbone, etc before they get out on the mountain with all the other distractions there on their first day or two.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Agree, basically was checking just to make sure there wasn’t any nightmare stories of them showing up in bad shape or taking a shit right away.

I’ll more than likely pull the trigger on them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    defiance is the l9 house brand
    these skis are being made by elan
    because they are our house brand
    we lifetime guaranty em
    if they were to have a problem
    id do my damnest to make it right
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Personally I would not buy these for a 6 or 8 eight year old. Kids this age make rapid improvements and I think they would out ski them pretty quickly. These are a foam core ski, while it is inexpensive and perhaps durable they are also foam, IMO foam = bad. We moved our granddaughter from some foam Nordica's at age 5 to Moments Carson which is a real wood ski, just like an adult ski only smaller. Her skiing improved overnight, in fact after skiing them for two runs she told me to throw the Nordica's out. What I would do would be to buy at least one pair of Carson's, Volkl also makes a "real" kids ski. You can get two years out of it for the older boy and then hand it down to the younger one for two years. After four years you can sell it for $100. Good kids skis are valuable. I have posted this before but this is our Granddaughter on her sixth birthday on her Moment Carson's. Name:  Allisonpictoftheday.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  165.8 KB

3 pair of lifetime guarantied skis
    are gonna last longer than 1 pair of moments
    and cost the same
    but im sure 6-8 year olds can totally tell a difference and potentially stand on world cup podiums with that more overpriced ski
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    3 pair of lifetime guarantied skis
    are gonna last longer than 1 pair of moments
    and cost the same
    but im sure 6-8 year olds can totally tell a difference and potentially stand on world cup podiums with that more overpriced ski
    Come on my friend, are you going to tell me that foam core skis have the same snap, feel, response as wood core skis? Carson's are $329, Allison used them three years and I sold them for $100 so $229 for three years, that's cheaper than renting. If you are just looking for inexpensive skis go the Defiance direction or head to 2nd tracks or Utah Ski Gear and pick up some used equipment. It's all about your expectations and what you goals are.

no im not telling you a foam core ski skis like a sandwiched wood
    im telling you all the groms i know that only have 6-8 years of existence
    cant tell the difference
    and 119 is about a third of 329
    a lifetime guaranty isnt anything moments ever gonna offer
    id tell ya i could come over and rip a foam core ski harder than you on any ski you choose
    but i dont sit in traffic clusterfuck lines to ski with agro scrubbin bubblers

My 8 year old was on wood Rossis last year and progressed quickly with them. So much more ski to lay into.

My now 7 year old is on foam Dynastars and is doing well on them. Mostly because he's a bit less aggressive so the lighter weight is easier for him to manage.

In the end, it depends on the kid.

(Though I am gonna get the Rossi's remounted to see if the 7 year old likes them)

(I also think the warranty is moot for kids skis. They are pretty easy on gear compared to an adult)