OG 13/14 Katana mount point HELP!

Dear internet,
    I just scored some mint 13/14 Volkl Katanas. I always wanted a pair, now my dreams have come true. The problem is, I have never skied them and I don't know where to mount them. I thought I had Marker Demo bindings with adjustable toe height but I don't, so now I have to figure out where I want them mounted. Fill me with your knowledge.

Skis: 184 Volkl Katana (elp, no taper, green dragon graphic)
    Me: 5'6", 150lbs, 24.5 Atomic Hawx XTD 130. Ski Kicking Horse

I used to jib a lot, now I don't at all. I like going fast and railing turns.
    Skis I like: 183 Black Crows Corvus on recommend and 2cm back. 182 SideSeth on rec. 188 Rossi RC112 on rec. 182 and 188 Fischer Ranger 108 on rec. 177 Volkl Mantra on rec. but they don't charge, too short.

I like driving my tips, old school style.

I would say I would go on the line as usually when I mount forward I think tips get hooky. I have 177 Mantras and they have a longer tail than the Katanas when both are mounted on the line. Tails are the same length when the Katanas are at +2.

Will they get hooky? What should I do? Where is my mind?

I’m on the vwerx on recommended and they are awesome skis. I think your ski style sounds like mine so you will probably be happy there, especially as everything else you have skied is directional and mounted on the line.

Friends have them at +2 as well and like them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

+1 1/2 and they are not hooky at all.
    They ski great at this position

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Since you're going through paralysis of analysis, you can send them to me and spare yourself the torment.

I have a pair of the dragon mantras and always wanted the dragon topsheet katanas as a companion set.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Since you're going through paralysis of analysis, you can send them to me and spare yourself the torment.

I have a pair of the dragon mantras and always wanted the dragon topsheet katanas as a companion set.

Sure, post your address and you will receive a package shortly

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Sure, post your address and you will receive a package shortly
    Save yourself the postage. I'm heading up to Canuckistan in mid feb. Just drop off care of The Rondo (Chateau), where I make my humble abode while at the Horse. Heh.

Recommended is -14cm from cord centre. I mounted my 191s at +2 and 198s at +2.5. I like them.

Indeed the recommended line on the Katana is very far back, about -14cm.

On the full rocker Mantra it’s only -9cm, on the 100Eight its -11cm, BMT 109 -10,5cm.

Those are not exactly the same shapes but close.

Also the consensus on « the internets » seemed to be +2.

So I choosed to mount at +2 and like it that way.

Maybe if I had to do it again +1,5cm could work too.

+2 for me.....191 Katanas I bought from Betel...

+1.5 - 2 ish on the 184 vwerks.... awesome.

All of my Katanas are mounted on the line. The only one that ever felt long was the non-rocker/flat camber 190. Not hoping to start a debate, just that on the line works for some of us.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Compared the 2014 metallic green 177 length to the same year 184, and interestingly most of the length difference is in the tail. The 184 is only 5cm longer, and about 3.5cm of that is tail. So if you mount the 184 at +2, you actually have 5mm less ski in front of you than the 177 mounted at 0.

Or you could also say the 177 line is even further back than the 184...however you want to look at it.

Bump - picked up a pair of ‘12-‘13 191 Katanas at the ski swap this year.

Last night adjusted them for my BSL and was horrified to see my boot center at +2cm. Glad to come on here and see that it’s a normal mount for that ski.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Bump - picked up a pair of ‘12-‘13 191 Katanas at the ski swap this year.

Last night adjusted them for my BSL and was horrified to see my boot center at +2cm. Glad to come on here and see that it’s a normal mount for that ski.

Pics or it didn’t happen…..We love OG Katana pics as much as Viva’s boob shots…(well, not really…lol)

Here’s mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1638392879.362222.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	394841

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Pics or it didn’t happen…..We love OG Katana pics as much as Viva’s boob shots…(well, not really…lol)

Here’s mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1638392879.362222.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	394841
    Yummy

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

^^^The Dragons…..they are my “white whale”….always on the prowl for them…in a 191…..

Give, dragon ski. Or don't. Because that would force my hand on those /13 Kendo's i see floating in the classif and then you would see the family together.

Did that year have a notorious topsheet delamination issue, because every single one i see including my mantras are peeling like they have scabies. That speaks more to the previous owner(s?) than myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Give, dragon ski. Or don't. Because that would force my hand on those /13 Kendo's i see floating in the classif and then you would see the family together.

Did that year have a notorious topsheet delamination issue, because every single one i see including my mantras are peeling like they have scabies. That speaks more to the previous owner(s?) than myself though.
    No problems with topsheet delam. Mantras are still going strong, too

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Haven't heard of delam issues with the 2012-2014 German-made Katanas, the issues were with the earlier-generation Chinese-made ones.