Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

19 NE - It's all up from here

It's going to be dry, it's going to be sunny, the soil is going to be as close to perfect as we've ever seen, I'm going to recover fully and have already dropped 12# The up part is both the physical challenge we all crave because, well, everything is up in the NE isn't it and I have a personal challenge to meet without blowing up and you guys are going to watch. Don't shoot me but I'm going to use an e-bike to get my personal challenge started without landing myself back on a cath lab table

For now, and the next 6-8 weeks, I probably won't be on a bike but when I am my dumb self will probably push hard and I WILL get back to at least where I was in one year. Goals...

Hope your recovery goes smoothly, Gravity.

I was going to post a snowy fat bike pic but the first stoke of the ‘19 NE thread should be bikes in dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The thread has started with fatty pics a few times. For the first time in 6 years I'm going to miss out on the fat snow season and it has me sad so fire away with those pics Hank.

Hey GL, hope your rehab gets going soon!
    No need for a fatty in Western Mass right now, just fast frozen dirt. 24* and little wind

Hoping for a speedy recovery, gravy.
    Frozen dirt, that looks tasty.
    Velcro here in Walpole.
    From today

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3122.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	264299
    crab in my shoe mouth

Had a blast at Millstone yesterday. Put in a hearty 9 miles in the single digit temps.

Props to whoever is grooming there.

Name:	IMG_3237.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	264303

Giddeeup!

Ebike sounds perfect for recovery mode GL. Fuck the haters!

I finally cleaned this log I cleaned and dubbed "mindfuck'". It's not hard really, just goes up and narrows towards the end. Nick cleaned it first and inspired me to follow.

Thanks guys.

Moving along pretty well, got out for lunch and a walk today. Funny how something as simple as a walk around Whole Foods can wipe me out so much. At least it was warm so I did a few laps while my wife shopped. I hate recovering (from anything) I get so impatient it's not happening faster.

Keep the pics coming!

Got my concert tickets in the mail the other day. Guess I should double down to get ready for the show, heard the pit is crushing.

Grav, all recovery begins with the first step[or walk]. Don't push too hard for a bit.

Name:	20190112_084212.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	264361
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Strong wishes for a speedy recovery GL

That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Got my concert tickets in the mail the other day. Guess I should double down to get ready for the show, heard the pit is crushing.

Grav, all recovery begins with the first step[or walk]. Don't push too hard for a bit.

Name:	20190112_084212.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	264361
    Got mine too. Same seats! (lulz) gonna be softer this year.. one week later than the norm.

Was Kold in Keene yesterday. frozen rivaz.

Name:  IMG_20190111_171312_931.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  641.3 KBName:  IMG_20190113_135146.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  505.9 KB

It's stoopid fast right now. It's even getting dusty out there. Diggin' this weather! Great building weather also. Hope it doesn't snow over here.

Little reroute today

I drew first blood on trail yesterday, was quick reminder that even super tacky tires have their limits:

made you look

GL, get healthy and plenty more miles to be had!

Days are getting a bit longer, only had the lights on for the last 15 min. Another cold, clear day here. Backyard sno mo trails are firm and grippy.

Name:	IMG_3253.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	954.7 KB 
ID:	264560

New thread meet new bike

Name:	IMG_9506.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	264561

Nice! What's the plan there?

This is a spot we're expanding. Out the door riding is the best. Fun little line. Starts lookers right of tree and just cleaned two more small steep rollers below them.

Yeahhhh buddy! See you on the trail this summer E.

Stoked. There is a Ripmo in my future, my freshmen racers are gonna be sophomores, my grinder has a comfortable seat finally, trips to the Carrabassett Valley and Quebec City to ride are in the works, I've transitioned to a uniform of bib shorts, no shirt and pasties... bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman View Post
    Got mine too. Same seats! (lulz) gonna be softer this year.. one week later than the norm.
    Fuck! Did we buy from the same scalper?

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Yeahhhh buddy! See you on the trail this summer E.

Stoked. There is a Ripmo in my future, my freshmen racers are gonna be sophomores, my grinder has a comfortable seat finally, trips to the Carrabassett Valley and Quebec City to ride are in the works, I've transitioned to a uniform of bib shorts, no shirt and pasties... bring it.
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Biggs' Any of your kids doing the Overland? Free entry for under 18.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Nice! What's the plan there?
    Bikepacking plus bike, beer store whip.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Biggs' Any of your kids doing the Overland? Free entry for under 18.
    I will put this by 'em, thanks. I think a couple of them could pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I will put this by 'em, thanks. I think a couple of them could pull it off.
    Biggins, did you start a mountain bike club/team at your school? I've been thinking of doing the same this spring after a few kids and staff approached me.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Biggins, did you start a mountain bike club/team at your school? I've been thinking of doing the same this spring after a few kids and staff approached me.
    Yes! There are actually two options now for VT HS racing- the NNEMTB series, run by a few prep-school coaches, but VERY welcoming to publics. And now there is VYC- essentially a sub-chapter of VMBA. PM me for deets on both- it is super easy to get such a club/team off the ground thanks to these two organizations, save for the transportation issue. My biggest piece of advice- get at least one set of awesome parents involved. It is absolutely one of the most enjoyable things I've done in my teaching career getting this team going, definitely recommend attending some of the VYC group ride events this spring to get a taste of things, race season is throughout the fall.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, GL.

I guess I picked a good year to get back into mountain biking, since it doesn’t snow in MA anymore. We’ve had like 2cm snowfall on the coast, to this point. Don’t have to think very hard to go riding.

Name:	IMG_9326.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	265030

Name:	IMG_9323.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	265031

Name:	IMG_9324.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	265032

The end of stoopid fast dirt appears to be coming to an end this weekend.
    Last night was another great ride. Should be able to squeeze one more in and then switch over to the fatty until spring most likely. What a run we've been on this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Wishing you a speedy recovery, GL.

I guess I picked a good year to get back into mountain biking, since it doesn’t snow in MA anymore. We’ve had like 2cm snowfall on the coast, to this point. Don’t have to think very hard to go riding.
    Ah, fells stoke ftw! So much rad stuff to be had in there. I'm excited to see we're finally getting snow, but definitely not ready to give up on riding dirt.

On related note, anyone have recommendations for windproof but very light/breathable head covers? I wanna get some road miles in at lunch this winter, but always end up overheated. I've got a wool buff but usually it ends up soaked and frozen. I just need something to block the wind on my forehead. Have looked at a full skullcaps, but all seem heavy on the insulation side.