Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    So I guess Ti isn't all it's cracked up to be
    You're a fungi.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

I love my Steel MTBs. Last one I ran for 16 years with 1 repair. You can spend a lot if you want to , but you don't have to. MTB is not really about the bike.

My bud who just got back into mtn biking this year after close to 20 yrs off due to kids, time, money, and life went down today. Pedal strike on a down bucked him over the bars. Dislocated shoulder, torn ligament, and pretty good concussion. Not good, but could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Yes, you recognized the badge. In full disclosure, shortly after I bought this bike 8 years ago, I backed into the garage with it in a fork mounted roof rack and bent both the top and down tubes. Lynskey was awesome in repairing the bike for me. I think my accident probably voided the warranty though. I also believe that accident and the subsequent repair probably compromised the bike.

I've already contacted my awesome "somewhat local" bike shop (Bike Junkie in Bethpage, NY - seek them out if you ever have the chance) about a replacement purchase. They're going to send the pictures to Lynskey to see if anything can be done.

Thankfully, I can ride my 26" Santa Cruz Blur in the VT 50. Not as optimal of a ride as the 29" Lynskey HT. Ideally, I can get a replacement frame of comparable geometry before the race.

Or... Anyone have any experience having a crack like this repaired/welded? Is that a possibility?
    Someone that has mad welding skillz like DoWork can weld titanium. Ask some shops or Frank the Welder for recs.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yes, suicide 6 is absolutely amazing!! The flow trails they built are a riot, you're at speed the whole time without putting effort into it. Super playful, doubles all over!!

19 NE - It's all up from here

Couple rides at Russell Mills in Chelmsford. Was able to link with some of the trails in Warren Manning Park. Great riding, maybe my favorite area I’ve ridden so far in MA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4225.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	294194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4204.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	294195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4169.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	294196
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 09-16-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Couple rides at Russell Mills in Chelmsford. Was able to link with some of the trails in Warren Manning Park. Great riding, maybe my favorite area I’ve ridden so far in MA

Name:	IMG_4225.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	294194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4204.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	294195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4169.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	294196
    That's one of my local spots. MV NEMBA does a great job building and w/maint. Usually there mid week......hopefully my lights arrive soon. Drop me a pm if you want a tour.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

Looking for a three hour ride in the kingdom. I usually park at the chapel. I’m open for anything. Looking for a Strava or ride with gps file, what you got?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Steel is real.......
    heavy. Great for gravel, not for mtb.
    I dunno, I have a couple of steel hardtails in different wheel sizes, wouldn't trade them for plastic any day. My 26er was 21# until.i just couldn't stand killing pricey parts and took it off the diet. When it got to about 27 things stopped breaking and I rode it for a few years that way. My 27.5 ht is a bit under 30 and it feels fkn great and is super easy to ride.

Full squish would have to be alu, I crash way too often to not destroy a carbon bike. I'm good with carbon wheels though, for the better part of 3 years I haven't hurt one yet. That's either because I'm smoove or because I'm a fkn slug and don't go fast enough to hurt them. 😏

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    You're a fungi.
    😁

Yes, steel is great, I just got spoiled with ti when a friend from high school got me a sweet deal on a ti frame that I couldn't pass up. Before that I had a soma juice that I loved and a Niner SIR that was fun but after 2 frames broke I was soured on steel.

I guess the important thing is just to get out and ride, regardless of frame material!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

I broke a chainstay on my steel Ht once. I got it welded inexpensively and rode it for another decade. Real indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I broke a chainstay on my steel Ht once. I got it welded inexpensively and rode it for another decade. Real indeed.
    Damn, impressive. I have 3 steel bikes with the intention of each outlasting me.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Damn, impressive. I have 3 steel bikes with the intention of each outlasting me.
    I don't ride like I used to so I doubt my Chromag will ever fail, just be designed out of compatibility. Availability of good 26" tires will probably be the end of her.

I have a pile of 26" tires, used and new. I'll keep a couple for the bikes that will stay in the collection but the others are up for grabs pretty much. Someday this fall I'll put together a list of old stock that I have.

I have a pile of 26" tires, used and new. I'll keep a couple for the bikes that will stay in the collection but the others are up for grabs pretty much. Someday this fall I'll put together a list of old stock that I have.
    Dry AF down south. Perfect beach and bike weather on tap for the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TGR Forums mobile app

Anything DH or thick casing I'll take in trade.

Got out on my “backup” bike yesterday. Weather and trails were perfect.

Name:	IMG_8458.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	294693

(Ringwood, NJ)
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Anything DH or thick casing I'll take in trade.
    No I just sold the dh tires 3 weeks ago. A couple of the Conti's are tough sidewalls. I had good luck with them but they don't do well tubeless.

No I just sold the dh tires 3 weeks ago. A couple of the Conti's are tough sidewalls. I had good luck with them but they don't do well tubeless.
    on Stans or UST? On stans they mount really well IMO, on UST the bead is to loose and wont stay on with any lateral effort?

Nothing like rolling along a trail on the drop bar stiffy gravel bike to someone on the full squish mtn bike. If only he was wearing a full face helmet!

What does braided trail mean? I’m old.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Cutting corners, going around the other side of a tree, avoiding mud holes, trail creepin (usually downhill, though to the side as well) to avoid roots and rocks and spread in general.

Ah, so it’s not a good thing. Got it.
    Thanks
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’ve been eyeing a big-ish route connecting Cochran’s to Hinesburg to Sleepy Hollow and back to Cochran’s. I did a “shortened” version this morning. 21 miles and 4K of vert; I’m smoked. Could easily make this a 35 miler by adding Carse Hill in.

Beautiful morning, can’t beat this time of year in VT.

Name:	949EBAD0-E5B7-4A7A-9552-A0B63A6C081B.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	294828

Name:	IMG_5102.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	294829

Name:	IMG_5104.jpg 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	294831

Name:	IMG_5105.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	294832

Name:	IMG_5108.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	294833

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Ah, so it’s not a good thing. Got it.
    Thanks
    Unless it's designed that way, say a steep pitch that briefly opens up into a few different lines. I may have misused the term, as it does most often seem to mean a long term bummer effect on singletrack.

Edit: awesome stuff Hank.