Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1083
    I was curious which trails would be impacted. I wonder if Kitchel and East Branch are included.

Such a bad blow to KT. The comments about crowding aren’t wrong...weekends are a zoo. I’m interested to see how they are going to redirect things.

Name:  80112768_10100603288042843_828243915722194944_n.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  138.1 KB
    On the MTB VT facebook page someone posted this map based on landowners names...no idea if accurate of not.

Quote Originally Posted by snowday View Post
    Name:  80112768_10100603288042843_828243915722194944_n.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  138.1 KB
    On the MTB VT facebook page someone posted this map based on landowners names...no idea if accurate of not.
    Looks pretty accurate based on what I've been hearing from some friends that live in Kirby

Ugh. The loss of Tody’s, Troll, and Tap n die is really disheartening. I hope they can resolve it

Quote Originally Posted by MaineSkiAddict1 View Post
    Ugh. The loss of Tody’s, Troll, and Tap n die is really disheartening. I hope they can resolve it
    I met Sue Burrington at NembaFest last year, she and her husband hate mountain bikers. She made that pretty clear

That’s rough. Big chunk of the goods. Man, that’s is a wicked bummer.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Looks pretty accurate based on what I've been hearing from some friends that live in Kirby
    That map is accurate. Sad that it came to this.
    The huge number of riders leads to more negative interactions with the landowners. When it was maybe 1% of 10,000 riders (100 people) that were jerks, it was tolerable. But now it is maybe 1% of 100,000+ people being jerks. And that works out to be a lot more negative interactions. From maybe a few per season to now something that is a weekly or daily problem. IMHO, the "Thank You Landowners!" campaign that KT employs, is now just glossed over by many riders. There are so many that either don't understand what that phrase means (or worse, don't care). It feels more and more like it is all about the "Lifestyle" instead of being about enjoying the ride. When packs of bros nearly ride a little girl off a bridge. I can only imagine when Mrs burrington goes out for a ride on her horse.

19 NE - It's all up from here

Ugh. This blows. I get it though. Just many other zones I’d care less about as a rider.

This is going to be a major logistical hassle to route around.

Not surprised if this somehow gets resolved. Then again not surprised if it doesn’t.
    Uno mas

I guess this is a sad outcome for the trail system but not surprising. With 100,000 visitors swarming around your property every summer it reached the point where these landowners feel like they can't enjoy their land. I don't like crowds and haven't been to KT since around 2000 but read about the crazy crowding and blown out trails. Haven't felt like getting up before the cows to drive an hour and a half to beat the masses as I can go so many other places.
    Maybe they can fix some of the issues and get these properties back in the fold but that might mean putting the lid on and curtailing growth. It's obviously boiled over without being watched or the KT Association has been ignoring landowner complaints. Hard to believe that the three landowners pulled their properties after the first strike.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    That map is accurate. Sad that it came to this.
    The huge number of riders leads to more negative interactions with the landowners. When it was maybe 1% of 10,000 riders (100 people) that were jerks, it was tolerable. But now it is maybe 1% of 100,000+ people being jerks. And that works out to be a lot more negative interactions. From maybe a few per season to now something that is a weekly or daily problem. IMHO, the "Thank You Landowners!" campaign that KT employs, is now just glossed over by many riders. There are so many that either don't understand what that phrase means (or worse, don't care). It feels more and more like it is all about the "Lifestyle" instead of being about enjoying the ride. When packs of bros nearly ride a little girl off a bridge. I can only imagine when Mrs burrington goes out for a ride on her horse.
    You definitely nailed it with visitors not acknowledging, respecting or even giving a fuck that they're riding on private land. KT tried to hammer home this concept but it was lost a few years ago as the bros in Sprinter vans began swarming the place.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    You definitely nailed it with visitors not acknowledging, respecting or even giving a fuck that they're riding on private land. KT tried to hammer home this concept but it was lost a few years ago as the bros in Sprinter vans began swarming the place.
    Also IMHO, it is also no coincidence that things started to go downhill with the growth in popularity of Strava. I noticed that in the last 5-8 years, some riders trying to hammer out PRs and such for Strava glory. They HATE slowing down for anything. I'm sure that when Mrs Burrington was out riding her horse on the trails, she often got buzzed by dudes who didn't give a shit if she got thrown from her horse as long as they got a top time on their ride.
    My kids and I encountered her out on the trail on her horse this summer. We stopped, moved off to the side and said hello and admired the beautiful horses as they rode past. I also used it as a teaching moment for my kids on how to handle sharing the trails.
    Then not two minutes later as my kids were riding across a bridged stream (wide bridge on Bemis), a pack of 5 dudes screaming down from the other direction barely missed both my son and daughter (both under 10) as they were crossing the bridge. The lead guy didn't even hit his brakes.
    I imagine they still didn't slow down when they caught up to the horses and riders a minute later.

I'm hoping that they can resolve this closer at least on the level of having the trails closest to the rivers open. However, I don't really see that happening as it would likely invite poaching the other closed trails.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Fucking roadies on mtn bikes. That is the issue. Or fucking roadie mentality on mtn bikes is the issue.

Douchebags ruin it for everyone.

Santa Cruz the signage is clear. Horses have the right of way. From what I've seen its pretty well respected, but they don't have the masses of EC douchebags driving up from the flatlands thinking they own everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Fucking roadies on mtn bikes. That is the issue. Or fucking roadie mentality on mtn bikes is the issue.

Douchebags ruin it for everyone.

Santa Cruz the signage is clear. Horses have the right of way. From what I've seen its pretty well respected, but they don't have the masses of EC douchebags driving up from the flatlands thinking they own everything.
    Certainly disappointing news, and it will push traffic to other parts of the trail system. It’s a bit frightening to think how terrible the moose alley traffic will be next year.

On the other side, land gets bought and sold. Things will change. If you are looking to live in Burke it’s almost mandated that you are a mountain biker. The trails will be back eventually, and certainly Troll Stroll/Tap N Die need a rest, it was crazy how beat they seemed compared to previous years. Maybe it was just the times I was up, but Darling Hill was just so busy it was overwhelming at times, dogs off leash on trails, huge 10-20 groups of people, ebikes, sprinters parked all over—this might be a wake up call that landowners have limits, and KT has to find some way to enforce people not being assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Certainly disappointing news, and it will push traffic to other parts of the trail system. It’s a bit frightening to think how terrible the moose alley traffic will be next year.

On the other side, land gets bought and sold. Things will change. If you are looking to live in Burke it’s almost mandated that you are a mountain biker. The trails will be back eventually, and certainly Troll Stroll/Tap N Die need a rest, it was crazy how beat they seemed compared to previous years. Maybe it was just the times I was up, but Darling Hill was just so busy it was overwhelming at times, dogs off leash on trails, huge 10-20 groups of people, ebikes, sprinters parked all over—this might be a wake up call that landowners have limits, and KT has to find some way to enforce people not being assholes.
    Discussions with other locals have led to the conclusion that KTA needs to slow their roll on marketing the trail system (that, as we know, is on property they don't even own). Take all that energy and person power they have been pumping into promotion and turn it into an on trail presence. For example, more trail ambassadors and/or patrollers. Signage about respecting landowners and their property.
    It is the wild west out there with no official visibility on the trails. There used to be a patrol but I haven't seen one in a long time. Someone needs to start actually enforcing the rules of the trail system. Run it more like a ski resort, since that is really what it has become.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

I buy a pass or tickets to financially support the nonprofit, not because I’ve ever seen a “patroller” checking out on the trails. More policing seems to be in order.

Fat biking was awesome today and it will be even better tomorrow now that I broke in a few trails.

Yes back to snow biking here and it’s fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat biking continues to be impressive. Rainy thaw followed by a hard freeze and wee bit of fresh snow makes for some grin inducing riding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	306670

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Everyday I find my self one step closer to a Fat Bike purchase. Once the arm is out of the sling, my wallet may suffer a major hit...

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Everyday I find my self one step closer to a Fat Bike purchase. Once the arm is out of the sling, my wallet may suffer a major hit...
    It's such a different ride or riding experience than dirt. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to go 'big $$' on a fatty. Every once in a while I think about how it would be nice to have 'this, that, and the other thing' and then I look at my bike after a ride and especially from the car ride back as it's covered in salt and shit with no option to hose off because of temperature and say, yeah no, this bike is just perfect.

I have an older Beargrease that I picked up used for $700 when it was a year old. It's just fun.

It's such a different ride or riding experience than dirt. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to go 'big $$' on a fatty. Every once in a while I think about how it would be nice to have 'this, that, and the other thing' and then I look at my bike after a ride and especially from the car ride back as it's covered in salt and shit with no option to hose off because of temperature and say, yeah no, this bike is just perfect.

I have an older Beargrease that I picked up used for $700 when it was a year old. It's just fun.
    Exactly, just sold my Bucksaw for this reason.

Now looking for a sub $1k bike to replace it with

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Discussions with other locals have led to the conclusion that KTA needs to slow their roll on marketing the trail system (that, as we know, is on property they don't even own). Take all that energy and person power they have been pumping into promotion and turn it into an on trail presence. For example, more trail ambassadors and/or patrollers. Signage about respecting landowners and their property.
    It is the wild west out there with no official visibility on the trails. There used to be a patrol but I haven't seen one in a long time. Someone needs to start actually enforcing the rules of the trail system. Run it more like a ski resort, since that is really what it has become.

Luckily, they haven’t blown up the BC stuff like KT, but that’s probably in the works.

Makes a lot of sense. Hard to imagine a suspension fork, dropper post, hydro brakes, and light parts will all function well in the freezing cold, all winter. One or two of the above, no big deal over the long-haul, but going that tricked out does, indeed, seem silly. Thanks.

One step closer to the purchase. I'm a big fella, brands that shops around here push are Rocky Mtn, Kona, and Scott. Any thoughts collective zaftig-bike nerds?

19 NE - It's all up from here

I bought a Rocky Mountain Blizzard 10 new on sale for $700. Mechanical brakes, entry-level components etc. Not riding anything too rad / long / icy but so far so good on the beach, in the snow and as a loaner to friends for trails. It is definitely heavy, sometimes I have a hard time getting it on my roof rack without a hand.

Yesterday at Deer Island in Winthrop MA Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5088.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	307142

Name:	IMG_5076.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	307145
    Beach route to get there (these are from a couple weeks ago iirc)

Name:	IMG_4990.JPG 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	307143Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4963.JPG 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	307144

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to go 'big $$' on a fatty. Every once in a while I think about how it would be nice to have 'this, that, and the other thing' and then I look at my bike after a ride and especially from the car ride back as it's covered in salt and shit with no option to hose off because of temperature and say, yeah no, this bike is just perfect.

This is how I feel. It’s been fun to have a bike I haven’t felt the need to baby since day 1. I run mine under a watering can after the beach in the winter.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-21-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Hey Biggins. Perhaps this is already on your radar but if not, it could be worth going to see Doon at green mtn cycles in Rochester. He’s got a bunch of fatties he’s trying to sell off. A friend just got a pretty good deal on a Kona.

I’m headed to Boston area for the holidays and I’m bringing the fatty. Anyone have any suggestions for some spots to ride on the north side of the city. I’ve ridden Lynn woods some but would certainly be open to checking other spots out. Some of my family is in Stoneham and I see some trails on Trailforks in that area. Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions fire away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk