Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1083
    From Stoneham you’re already at the Fells which has a ton of singletrack that is well-traveled all year. I typically park at the parking lot off Fallon Road, it’s the first left after you go under the 93 bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    Hey Biggins. Perhaps this is already on your radar but if not, it could be worth going to see Doon at green mtn cycles in Rochester. He’s got a bunch of fatties he’s trying to sell off. A friend just got a pretty good deal on a Kona.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love Doon and GMB. Bought a bike from him and Kinley once already- great experience, great shop. Will head up there asap for a looksie, thanks.

Hey Biggins. Perhaps this is already on your radar but if not, it could be worth going to see Doon at green mtn cycles in Rochester. He’s got a bunch of fatties he’s trying to sell off. A friend just got a pretty good deal on a Kona.

I’m headed to Boston area for the holidays and I’m bringing the fatty. Anyone have any suggestions for some spots to ride on the north side of the city. I’ve ridden Lynn woods some but would certainly be open to checking other spots out. Some of my family is in Stoneham and I see some trails on Trailforks in that area. Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions fire away.

Depends how technical, but for mellow singletrack there is the Fells, Braveheart Reservation, Mill Pond. Going northwest out of Boston you could hit Bear Brook and Western Greenway and take that for miles and miles. Do you have strava? I’ve got a bunch of these posted. Pretty easy from Cambridge to head north or west as far as you want to go with very minimal time on the road. Lots of options for one way rides and using the commuter train too.

I just moved to The Boston area from Seattle. Debating if a fatty is worth it. We late living right on beaver brook so I want to be able to get out in lighter snow days. Planning to just try my hardtail as is when I kick my cold. If anyone in the area wants to get out this week I have some time off.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I just moved to The Boston area from Seattle. Debating if a fatty is worth it. We late living right on beaver brook so I want to be able to get out in lighter snow days. Planning to just try my hardtail as is when I kick my cold. If anyone in the area wants to get out this week I have some time off.
    I don’t think a fat bike is worth it for Boston area. Definitely a mtb and gravel bike for your location. If you want to ride in the winter and there is snow on the ground—a trip to cape cod or RI fixes that. If there is snow in the woods that also means skiing at Great Brook should be decent.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    I don’t think a fat bike is worth it for Boston area. Definitely a mtb and gravel bike for your location. If you want to ride in the winter and there is snow on the ground—a trip to cape cod or RI fixes that. If there is snow in the woods that also means skiing at Great Brook should be decent.
    Depends on your work schedule and desire to get to spots. There's a crew that grooms out Russel Mill in Chelmsford pretty religiously, and LLF in Burlington gets a fair bit of traffic. The Fells gets really good too I've heard, just don't expect fully groomed trails.

JRA has a full size run of demo fatbikes right now. Got out for 2 rides on one of the RM Blizzards, super fun!! Making me consider adding one sometime soon, hard to justify with how condition dependent it can be but was really fun to throw into corners, impressive how much grip you get with them!

We officially have a snowdog groomer! Pretty stoked! That's gonna cut down snowshoe time by a bit!

Little work and riding past few days. It's been perfect lately.

Phucking sidewaze

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    Depends on your work schedule and desire to get to spots. There's a crew that grooms out Russel Mill in Chelmsford pretty religiously, and LLF in Burlington gets a fair bit of traffic. The Fells gets really good too I've heard, just don't expect fully groomed trails.

JRA has a full size run of demo fatbikes right now. Got out for 2 rides on one of the RM Blizzards, super fun!! Making me consider adding one sometime soon, hard to justify with how condition dependent it can be but was really fun to throw into corners, impressive how much grip you get with them!
    Damn, didn’t realize they groom RM. I’ll have to check out a demo from JRA.

Hoping we get some more snow on the ground soon and Great Brook can open for skiing. Winter provides a welcome break from riding the same trails all year.

Thanks for the tips. Turns out my brother and sister in-law live right on the northeast corner of the fells network. We’re down here for a longer than usual visit so my wife sweetened the deal with a hall pass to be able to squeeze in some rides. Spent a couple hours exploring today and had some fun. Pretty variable conditions with firm in the cold sheltered areas and slush or bare frozen ground in exposed areas. Occasional water ice as well...Studded tires were essential.

I didn’t realize til later that there are some areas that are closed to mtn bikes... perhaps that’s why I got a few hairy eye balls... oh well.

I didn’t realize til later that there are some areas that are closed to mtn bikes... perhaps that’s why I got a few hairy eye balls... oh well.

It happens, we're hoping to get better signage and access in there. In general, you're good on fireroads and the green and orange blazed trails.

Intersections are a nightmare in there so you'll end up on wrong trails without even realizing it. Throw in the snow and even I'd get turned around a few times and I ride there a shitton.

Whats the acceptable criteria for riding trails on warm days with snow like today? Do I need to avoid to not leave ruts?

Like most questions of this nature there are a lot variables to look at in order to come up with the best answer.

We were just talking about it and with the amount of snow (not much) and extended forecast...we have a few full 24hr days above freezing coming up and last night was above also, we're riding.

People are getting shitty here about riding when it's warm now. Blah blah only ride in the morning when it's frozen... Bulshit I want to ride when it's nice and since we're not getting any real cold again soon the ground is gonna thaw completely in another day or two anyway. I'll just go tomorrow when the self appointed trail police won't be out there to see me.

Happy Chanukah everyone 🍷🍷

19 NE - It's all up from here

I only rode what was frozen, cause everything was frozen.

A lot of glare ice involved. Wish I had studs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4703.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	307530

Avoid the shiny and aim for the white or brown.

Name:	IMG_4702.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	307531

Name:	IMG_4704.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	307532
    Last edited by Peruvian; 12-24-2019 at 12:55 PM.

^^^Well done, spicy, but well done.

Y'all fat bikers- have any opinions 26" v. 27.5"? I am a rather large gent, does that make any difference when we're talking 4"+ wide tires anyhow?

I haven't ridden a 27.5 fatty and don't really know, but they make sense in my uneducated mind. As much surface area with a slightly narrower tire vs 26 and the roll over is better right? It's like a regular 26 vs 27.5? So just better...unless you're a 26er hold out kook.

Definitely a kook, thanks man. Happy Ridingmas.

I had a 26" wheel fatbike, now have a 27.5. No real difference imo if you are riding a 4"+ tire, aside from having fewer choices with the 27.5.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Things may have changed slightly since this article was published?

As far as the ride itself, we still have a lot of riding to do on 27.5″ but our initial results are mixed. The shorter sidewalls definitely contribute to better cornering and less bounce, and feel a bit faster, but in terms of float and grip on loose terrain big 26″ tires still feel like they have an advantage. We still have a lot of tinkering left to do – including running lower pressures than we would on 26″ so we’ll save our official judgement for later. For now though, it seems that the 27.5″ wheels and tires are better suited towards fat bikes that will be used for racing or year-round rides, while big 26″ is still the answer for back country exploration or more specialized riding in challenging, loose, conditions.

Gracias.

Bike path north of Colchester was thick ice. Couldn't take the gravel bike out to the causeway. Too sketchy.

Anyone know conditions of any FOTW trails? Sunny Hollow was 'open' but icy as hell. Wondering about Saxon Hill or Mud Pond, particularly.

Back to frozen ground here. Good times cruising around today. Looks like the incoming storm will do more for the fat biking than the skiing...

Yeah, we are mostly dirt also. Fun to be back on the skinny again.

I don't fat bike and it is sleeting here in NH so I'm starting to think about spring rides to keep the fitness up this winter. Anyone here ridden the Muddy Onion, Cranko de Mayo or Waterbury Gravel Grinder? I'm not a total glutton for punishment but would be good to have something to motivate me come spring. Any recommendations on which of those is good?