Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
    I'm glad we're still on dirt. This is the best time of year to ride...and build. Tacky firm and fast with long line of sight.

I’m also very happy that it’s still dirt in Cheshire county. I hate early snow, hate it. As stated above, it really is the best time of the year for the MTB.
    crab in my shoe mouth

When it's like this? Yeah Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191115_164801.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	302497
    If they could all be like today was.

Money shot^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Definitely jealous of the dirt. At least Cady Hill is groomed for the weekend.

8 deg, sunny and calm.....still gonna be a nice day to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Season just getting going down here—40 miles of leafy dirt around Lincoln and Boston burbs last weekend and a nice ride at Russell Mills/Billerica today. Except some JONG took a leaf blower to half the trails in Billerica. Who does that? Why?

I too would prefer dirt and stick season to still be here but it is not. Still figuring out the winter riding layering but got my kit dialed in otherwise.... for now.

I am curious what others are using for spd footwear for winter riding. For now I’ve got some neoprene shoe covers on my mtb shoes....

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post
    I too would prefer dirt and stick season to still be here but it is not. Still figuring out the winter riding layering but got my kit dialed in otherwise.... for now.

I am curious what others are using for spd footwear for winter riding. For now I’ve got some neoprene shoe covers on my mtb shoes....

I use some Shimano winter mtb shoes with Gore Tex I got pretty cheap during the summer a couple years ago. Not the warmest but they are fine for 2 hour rides in snow.
    Maybe some deals comin up with the holidaz.

Sidi Frost, picked them up in March from Competitive Cyclist during a half off sale. Only full sizes so being a half size too big allows me to wear some warm socks. Feet have been happy.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

19 NE - It's all up from here

This is my winter boot. Impervious to wind, water and cold. SPD and other cleats, all good. Badass biscuits.
    https://45nrth.com/products/red-wing-wolvhammer
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Season just getting going down here—40 miles of leafy dirt around Lincoln and Boston burbs last weekend and a nice ride at Russell Mills/Billerica today. Except some JONG took a leaf blower to half the trails in Billerica. Who does that? Why?
    Do the trails get a lot of traffic? I'm a proponent of selective raking/blowing. Some sections of trail need it and some don't need it at all. It's not one solution covers all situation.

I'm running the specialsauce defroster shoe that my local shop had. Big toe box for circulation. They work. I think the 45north are better, but more $$. The fat thread is talking about shoes now.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Do the trails get a lot of traffic? I'm a proponent of selective raking/blowing. Some sections of trail need it and some don't need it at all. It's not one solution covers all situation.
    This. It's location specific IMO. I was in my old favorite place ever for that shot above and it's been seeing very little bike traffic especially on some of the more obscure trails and they're disappearing and reverting back to nature. While it's frowned upon I'm going to go in and do some work to make sure that hundreds (thousands?) of hours of effort over the past 20+ years don't just fade away. This will mean getting creative with where to park so it can be done at night. I figure a full night walking around with the blower ought to be enough to revive the place and ensure it remains so wonderful for at least a few more years. Now I just have to get a battery blower and a half dozen batteries for it. Taking donations

Quote Originally Posted by Generalstark View Post

I have a pair of bontrager Old Man Winter (OMW) shoes that picked up cheap. They have been super warm and dry. Rode them in everything from 20 degrees down into the negatives. I had to upsize a bit to account for a thicker sock (I think I am in an 11 vs the 10 or 10.5 is normally wear)

My only issue was that I needed to shim the cleats in order to get them to work with my SPD’s. An easy enough fix.

I'm running the specialsauce defroster shoe that my local shop had. Big toe box for circulation. They work. I think the 45north are better, but more $$. The fat thread is talking about shoes now.
    Probably one of the more crowded areas around Boston. I get it when you’re trying to prevent nature from taking back over—but a major trail system in a suburb of a big city? Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Probably one of the more crowded areas around Boston. I get it when you’re trying to prevent nature from taking back over—but a major trail system in a suburb of a big city? Meh.
    I'm pretty sure the blowers were the paint ball posse I saw this am. The tell tale sign was the blown double track. I'm not complaining, but it was a surprise. Changes the dynamic of a ride. These trails don't need to be blown as they see so much traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    I'm pretty sure the blowers were the paint ball posse I saw this am. The tell tale sign was the blown double track. I'm not complaining, but it was a surprise. Changes the dynamic of a ride. These trails don't need to be blown as they see so much traffic.
    I couldn’t figure out why they blew that trail that goes straight up, and then only half the singletrack. Makes sense it wasn’t people riding.

Huh. Why do paint ballers blow?

We have Stratham Hill Park up here on the seacoast that does not need to be blown except a couple of the more obscure trails/corners, but they blow the hell out of heavily ridden stuff anyway....on the cleanup day. I think it's just a lack of knowledge and discussion on what is the best approach. Tough when a bunch of volunteers are let loose to do whatever.

I know the park manager and he's made awesome improvements to the whole area beyond mtn biking. It's the best dog park around! I've never been involved with trail building or maintenance there because I have so much other stuff going on.

Thinking I might just put some flats on for winter and use light snow boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Thinking I might just put some flats on for winter and use light snow boots.
    I've had icing issues in the past with flats. That obviously depends on the temp at the time, but there is nothing worse than slipping off your pedals when you don't want to.

I've had icing issues in the past with flats. That obviously depends on the temp at the time, but there is nothing worse than slipping off your pedals when you don't want to.
    #shingrater

I haven't had significant icing issues on flats but I haven't put as much winter trail time in as a lot of other people. I'm hoping this winter that these https://www.magped.us/shop/magped-en...v=7516fd43adaa are even better. I've been riding with them for months now (with the strong magnet) and they've been great. It's not a power pull up thing but the pedal stays with you when you're ratcheting through tech sections and you're less likely to just bounce off in the rough stuff. They work best with less expensive smoother soled commuter shoes or 5 10's, knobby XC race style soles don't always catch the pins so you get some movement until they hook up. Use the code TH10 for 10% off.

If ya need new wheels it's going to be hard to beat this deal, impossible if you consider that these are all handbuilt. https://www.dirtcomponents.com/so/20...64e34923#/main

Took a ride at the local nordic center and had lots of fun on their lightly packed snowshoe trails. Some more frozen precip and some freeze thaw this week may firm things up even more to bring more local trails into good fat bike conditions...

Thanks for the thoughts on shoes. My limited budget will likely be the main determining factor. The wolvhammer style boots are definitely intriguing but they do seem like overkill and clunky for the type of riding I’ll be doing. Something more along the lines of an insulated mtb shoe seem like a better fit, but I’m keeping an eye out for deals on all options. For now the neoprene shoe covers are doing the trick.

I get that some may prefer flats and winter boots but I have spent enough time riding flats to know that’s not what I’m after. I much prefer being connected to the bike for the type of riding I’ll be doing.

Anyone have any recommendations for New London, NH? Have a weekend getaway there this weekend. Looks like there's a ton of trails there but not much activity on Strava. Nearby options seem like Proctor trails or Newport. Anything else I should look at?

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for New London, NH? Have a weekend getaway there this weekend. Looks like there's a ton of trails there but not much activity on Strava. Nearby options seem like Proctor trails or Newport. Anything else I should look at?
    Hey, that's where I live. Nothing right in town. Rifle season so bring your orange.

I didn't realize there were trails at Proctor, but that would be the closest place to go (~15 minutes): https://www.trailforks.com/region/pr...&lon=-71.82826

Pinnacle in Newport is okay, but windstorms and logging have screwed it up a bit (~25 minutes): http://www.team-pinnacle.org

Boston Lot in Hanover/Lebanon is good (~35 minutes): https://www.lebanonnh.gov/Facilities...vation-Area-12

If you are willing to drive a bit further (~50 minutes): https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/s...ook-state-park, https://www.nemba.org/trails/new-ham...ook-state-park

Looks like Green Woodlands and S.T.A.B. at Ascutney are both closed to MTB traffic.