Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

19 NE - It's all up from here

Spent the day checking out the Winnick and Robinson Woods in cape Elizabeth. There were a few really messy spots (which are going to take some serious time to dry up) but the majority of it was dry and fast. Definitely will stop by again. You can link together 14 or so miles easily. What it lacks in elevation it definitely makes up for with Burt’s of tech among the flow. Winnick especially has some lines that were sketchy even before the rain this week.

I ran out of time so I didn’t get to poke around Robinson Woods as much.

There’s no real signage but trailforks has it all up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1533.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	283825

This boardwalk connect section of single track across this beautiful marsh area.

Name:	IMG_1536.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	283826

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	283827

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	283828

^^ Looks like a nice place to ride. I know you're not complaining but what's with all the whining on forums and FB from people about no signage? It's really getting old. Look at a fucking map, use Trailforks or just ride a place and get to know it. Waah waah this place sux because there's no signs... whatever.

I finally got into my old favorite place since the tornadoes that ripped through last year and man is it trashed. Huge trees down everywhwere, tangled impenetrable messes of branches and trails that have gotten totally overgrown because they're impassable and people have given up on them. The state won't hear form anyone going in to do trail work and maintenance so it's gonna have to be on the down low like when we put the trails in 20+ years ago and the County Parks Dept can't decide what the right approach is so that will probably be a pirate effort too. What makes it really hard is to do that means no chainsaws because the noise gives it away. Sounds like a monumental effort ahead if I want to resurrect the place(s). It makes me sad

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ Looks like a nice place to ride. I know you're not complaining but what's with all the whining on forums and FB from people about no signage? It's really getting old. Look at a fucking map, use Trailforks or just ride a place and get to know it. Waah waah this place sux because there's no signs... whatever.

I finally got into my old favorite place since the tornadoes that ripped through last year and man is it trashed. Huge trees down everywhwere, tangled impenetrable messes of branches and trails that have gotten totally overgrown because they're impassable and people have given up on them. The state won't hear form anyone going in to do trail work and maintenance so it's gonna have to be on the down low like when we put the trails in 20+ years ago and the County Parks Dept can't decide what the right approach is so that will probably be a pirate effort too. What makes it really hard is to do that means no chainsaws because the noise gives it away. Sounds like a monumental effort ahead if I want to resurrect the place(s). It makes me sad
    Electric chain saw.

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	283879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1354.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	283880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	283881

Had a second go at the Boston to Newburyport ride yesterday, this time with more fitness, better weather and a better route through Lynn Woods. Mostly dry except for the hub deep lake near the end, and some terrible bog sections the last hour or so.

This is definitely one of my favorite rides in the Boston area. Minimal time on the road, and the singletrack that you ride in Lynn, Willowdale and Georgetown Rowley is great. Some really secluded doubletrack/dirt roads that seem to start and end nowhere. Really like how the ride ends, come out of the woods and hammer it down the last several miles of dead straight dirt road that dead end into the train station. Forest on both sides you can’t really tell where you are and where civilization is, except the last few hundred feet. This route has the most rail trail usage which makes the middle miles go by pretty easy, but the single and doubletrack takes a lot out of you by the end.

Using the commuter rail has opened up a lot more rides, and it’s 10$ for a weekend pass. Waiting for a dry stretch to test out a route going east from the Fitchburg train station, hitting Leominster, Assabet, and the little town forests west of 95.

If anyone in the Boston area wants to join let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1363.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	283882  

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	271.8 KB 
ID:	283879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1354.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	267.9 KB 
ID:	283880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	283881

Had a second go at the Boston to Newburyport ride yesterday, this time with more fitness, better weather and a better route through Lynn Woods. Mostly dry except for the hub deep lake near the end, and some terrible bog sections the last hour or so.

This is definitely one of my favorite rides in the Boston area. Minimal time on the road, and the singletrack that you ride in Lynn, Willowdale and Georgetown Rowley is great. Some really secluded doubletrack/dirt roads that seem to start and end nowhere. Really like how the ride ends, come out of the woods and hammer it down the last several miles of dead straight dirt road that dead end into the train station. Forest on both sides you can’t really tell where you are and where civilization is, except the last few hundred feet. This route has the most rail trail usage which makes the middle miles go by pretty easy, but the single and doubletrack takes a lot out of you by the end.

Using the commuter rail has opened up a lot more rides, and it’s 10$ for a weekend pass. Waiting for a dry stretch to test out a route going east from the Fitchburg train station, hitting Leominster, Assabet, and the little town forests west of 95.

If anyone in the Boston area wants to join let me know.

Are those Paul MiniMoto brakes? If so what brake / shifters do you use with them? In the process of building up a gravel bike and was going to go with the minimotos and was thinking a Shimano 105 brake/shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman922 View Post
    Are those Paul MiniMoto brakes? If so what brake / shifters do you use with them? In the process of building up a gravel bike and was going to go with the minimotos and was thinking a Shimano 105 brake/shifter
    Yep, minimotos, old SRAM force/rival shifters. I ran paul cantis for 10+ years and switched to the minimotos this spring, wish I had done it sooner. Really like them and easier to set up and adjust than the cantis. Being able to take in/let out cable during a ride is great around here.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Electric chain saw.
    Yeah one of those is high on my want list but the good ones are $$$. The other thing is here in NY you need to take classes to get certified to use a chainsaw on public land and you have to wear all sorts of protective gear when using them. Bringing steel toed boots, full leather chaps, full face mask, hardhat and safety yellow/reflective vests is a bit much so some good folding Japanese pruning saws are the way to go.

Great weather this long weekend and a couple surf/turf rides.
    For the spandex lovers

19 NE - It's all up from here

Yeah one of those is high on my want list but the good ones are $$$. The other thing is here in NY you need to take classes to get certified to use a chainsaw on public land and you have to wear all sorts of protective gear when using them. Bringing steel toed boots, full leather chaps, full face mask, hardhat and safety yellow/reflective vests is a bit much so some good folding Japanese pruning saws are the way to go.
    Consider a battery powered sawzall with a pruning blade. None of the OSHA requirements of a chainsaw and quite a bit of functionality for cleaning up to 8”+ round branches.

^^ And they're quieter which is a big bonus. I have a super nice Japanese pruning saw but it looks like I'm going to have to get a bigger one.

I got the heads up today that the ranger that handles the piece of state land I've been riding for over 20 years is anti mtb and has turned down several requests for trail work since the storms last year even with hand tools. It sounds like it's going to have to be night time or Sunday work to reopen legacy trails that have been there for 50 years. That sux I'm going to stop into the county parks dept office tomorrow and see what i come up with there. Much better chance that the guy that handles it will be much more open because we've had a lot of interaction over the last 20 years and it's almost all been positive.

Wow. Crazy they would turn down free labor. Just go out when it's raining and do it.

^^ And they're quieter which is a big bonus. I have a super nice Japanese pruning saw but it looks like I'm going to have to get a bigger one.

I got the heads up today that the ranger that handles the piece of state land I've been riding for over 20 years is anti mtb and has turned down several requests for trail work since the storms last year even with hand tools. It sounds like it's going to have to be night time or Sunday work to reopen legacy trails that have been there for 50 years. That sux I'm going to stop into the county parks dept office tomorrow and see what i come up with there. Much better chance that the guy that handles it will be much more open because we've had a lot of interaction over the last 20 years and it's almost all been positive.
    It’s not the ranger, it’s the State system. Do what DaveNJ says and you can be assured the state will clamp down even harder, or say fuck it like Davey and screw access for your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    It’s not the ranger, it’s the State system. Do what DaveNJ says and you can be assured the state will clamp down even harder, or say fuck it like Davey and screw access for your kids.
    Right. The state of ny is gonna ban mtb because some unknown person cut out downed trees from a tornado.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post
    Yep, minimotos, old SRAM force/rival shifters. I ran paul cantis for 10+ years and switched to the minimotos this spring, wish I had done it sooner. Really like them and easier to set up and adjust than the cantis. Being able to take in/let out cable during a ride is great around here.
    Really nice looking ride there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Right. The state of NY is gonna ban mtb because some unknown person cut out downed trees from a tornado.
    Yeah as long as we don't go in with a bike there wouldn't be any association with mtb'ers. Looks like it's going to be a series of night time/Sunday/rainy day stealth missions. Thing is we have some strong supporters in the DEC but this particular ranger is a dick so I don't think we'd get tossed but he could make life difficult. Anyway...

I had another great ride yesterday in nearly perfect conditions. We've still been getting rain but not in the prodigious amounts we had been and the wind has been good so the surface is in great shape. I'm really figuring out how to use the e-assist so I can get after it and keep my heart rate down to reasonable levels. It's made riding so much fun again.

I really read the signals poorly last year leading up to the HA. For several months I had been slowing down, my hands were falling asleep, I was getting super tired even on descents and getting these headrushes that would force me to stop and sit down or risk passing out. I figured it was just because I had put on a few (too many) pounds and lost whatever stamina I had because I wasn't riding much after I busted up my hand dh'n at Mt Snow but now I'm understanding that the block that caused the HA and the partials were reducing the bloodflow to near critical levels and causing problems. So now I keep it on low or no assist for a lot of things but as I feel stressed I bump it up and for steep shots I boost it. I watch the HR monitor and try to keep under 150 but sometimes it still spikes to 160+, I almost never get the hot flashes or dull aches that I was getting and I can perform at a pretty consistent level throughout the ride now. It's scary though getting scratches because the anti-coagulant I'm on means that I bleed this deep dark red blood for a long time, a half hour or more for the littlest scratches, so I've gone back to shin pads and will probably start using forearm pads again too. That's gonna suck when it gets hot and humid but probably better than the alternative. Me and my e-mtb are coming to a trail near you

Yeah as long as we don't go in with a bike there wouldn't be any association with mtb'ers. Looks like it's going to be a series of night time/Sunday/rainy day stealth missions. Thing is we have some strong supporters in the DEC but this particular ranger is a dick so I don't think we'd get tossed but he could make life difficult. Anyway...

I had another great ride yesterday in nearly perfect conditions. We've still been getting rain but not in the prodigious amounts we had been and the wind has been good so the surface is in great shape. I'm really figuring out how to use the e-assist so I can get after it and keep my heart rate down to reasonable levels. It's made riding so much fun again.

I really read the signals poorly last year leading up to the HA. For several months I had been slowing down, my hands were falling asleep, I was getting super tired even on descents and getting these headrushes that would force me to stop and sit down or risk passing out. I figured it was just because I had put on a few (too many) pounds and lost whatever stamina I had because I wasn't riding much after I busted up my hand dh'n at Mt Snow but now I'm understanding that the block that caused the HA and the partials were reducing the bloodflow to near critical levels and causing problems. So now I keep it on low or no assist for a lot of things but as I feel stressed I bump it up and for steep shots I boost it. I watch the HR monitor and try to keep under 150 but sometimes it still spikes to 160+, I almost never get the hot flashes or dull aches that I was getting and I can perform at a pretty consistent level throughout the ride now. It's scary though getting scratches because the anti-coagulant I'm on means that I bleed this deep dark red blood for a long time, a half hour or more for the littlest scratches, so I've gone back to shin pads and will probably start using forearm pads again too. That's gonna suck when it gets hot and humid but probably better than the alternative. Me and my e-mtb are coming to a trail near you
    That is scary. Sticky Blood/protein irregularities? My brother went into full cardiac arrest at 36. He drove himself to the hospital and called my Dad en route. When he turned into the ER driveway he fell out and his heart stopped. His foot fell on the accelerator and he crashed into the hospital entrance. My Dad watched it happen. As an ambulance squad ran up tot he car my Dad was yelling that it was a heart attack. As he watched they pulled him out the broken drivers side window and defibbed him back to life. Then he was rushed inside where the entire cardiac staff was just showing up for the monthly meeting. He was so fucking lucky to live through it. Now, when I'm out on the bike climbing up Paine Mtn and get those feeling I can't help but think maybe it's my turn. All the males on my Mom's side died before they were 50, and Mom had DVT twice. I've been tested for the rare c protein irregularity which is negative, but it's so rare, they can't promise I won't develop it at some point. It has really messed with my brother head, and my Dad was traumatized as well. Live every day, ya never know. Glad to hear you back out on the bike.

Right. The state of ny is gonna ban mtb because some unknown person cut out downed trees from a tornado.
    They banned fixed anchors and webbing from the ADK for a number of years. So yes, they state can and will fuck with bikers, but hey give it a shot what’s the worst that can happen?

That is scary. Sticky Blood/protein irregularities? My brother went into full cardiac arrest at 36. He drove himself to the hospital and called my Dad en route. When he turned into the ER driveway he fell out and his heart stopped. His foot fell on the accelerator and he crashed into the hospital entrance. My Dad watched it happen. As an ambulance squad ran up tot he car my Dad was yelling that it was a heart attack. As he watched they pulled him out the broken drivers side window and defibbed him back to life. Then he was rushed inside where the entire cardiac staff was just showing up for the monthly meeting. He was so fucking lucky to live through it. Now, when I'm out on the bike climbing up Paine Mtn and get those feeling I can't help but think maybe it's my turn. All the males on my Mom's side died before they were 50, and Mom had DVT twice. I've been tested for the rare c protein irregularity which is negative, but it's so rare, they can't promise I won't develop it at some point. It has really messed with my brother head, and my Dad was traumatized as well. Live every day, ya never know. Glad to hear you back out on the bike.
    My cardiologist isn't quite sure why those things were happening but since I've gone on Atorvastatin (soon to go on a stronger type that I don't remember the name of) and Brilinta (anticoagulant) and monitoring myself better I haven't had any more of those episodes. From the bit of research I've done and knowing how quickly I used to clot I'm assuming there's something like the sticky blood you mentioned. My BP is also back down to the crazy low numbers I used to run which is good. The men on my dads side of the family don't process cholesterol well at all and even though I've always tried to maintain a low cholesterol diet my numbers have always been pretty high. My dad, at 75, has now lived longer than all of the men on his side of the family for the last 120 years and he has a litany of problems. I've been healthier than any of them were, they were all old at 40 and wouldn't have known what an active lifestyle was if it bit them in the ass so I'm starting at a better point already. Now with the statin I'm on it's starting to come into focus but not well enough unfortunately so on top of the low cholesterol and low sodium diet I'm also working to lower carbs because my triglycerides are being stubborn and not coming down. I'm just not ready to go to a mostly rabbit food diet yet but that may end up being the solution.

Thanks for the story and you be mindful of what your body is telling you. As I found out poo pooing the message was a mistake. I'm glad to hear I'm back out on the bike too even if it's a "cheater bike"

They banned fixed anchors and webbing from the ADK for a number of years. So yes, the state can and will fuck with bikers, but hey give it a shot what’s the worst that can happen?
    How are they going to know who is doing the work? It could be hikers, hunters or pretty much anybody that wants to access these old trails that have been there for decades, long before mt bikes even existed. We have managed to get those trails to the point where they're wonderfully rideable and have been maintaining them for the last 20 years with no help or intervention from the DEC so if I'm careful and don't do anything dumb I should be able to slide it through with no impact to the riding community. I won't be going in on a bike so that wouldn't be their first thought even if a ranger or DEC employee happens to come upon me while working. I know how to play the game

My cardiologist isn't quite sure why those things were happening but since I've gone on Atorvastatin (soon to go on a stronger type that I don't remember the name of) and Brilinta (anticoagulant) and monitoring myself better I haven't had any more of those episodes. From the bit of research I've done and knowing how quickly I used to clot I'm assuming there's something like the sticky blood you mentioned. My BP is also back down to the crazy low numbers I used to run which is good. The men on my dads side of the family don't process cholesterol well at all and even though I've always tried to maintain a low cholesterol diet my numbers have always been pretty high. My dad, at 75, has now lived longer than all of the men on his side of the family for the last 120 years and he has a litany of problems. I've been healthier than any of them were, they were all old at 40 and wouldn't have known what an active lifestyle was if it bit them in the ass so I'm starting at a better point already. Now with the statin I'm on it's starting to come into focus but not well enough unfortunately so on top of the low cholesterol and low sodium diet I'm also working to lower carbs because my triglycerides are being stubborn and not coming down. I'm just not ready to go to a mostly rabbit food diet yet but that may end up being the solution.

Thanks for the story and you be mindful of what your body is telling you. As I found out poo pooing the message was a mistake. I'm glad to hear I'm back out on the bike too even if it's a "cheater bike"

How are they going to know who is doing the work? It could be hikers, hunters or pretty much anybody that wants to access these old trails that have been there for decades, long before mt bikes even existed. We have managed to get those trails to the point where they're wonderfully rideable and have been maintaining them for the last 20 years with no help or intervention from the DEC so if I'm careful and don't do anything dumb I should be able to slide it through with no impact to the riding community. I won't be going in on a bike so that wouldn't be their first thought even if a ranger or DEC employee happens to come upon me while working. I know how to play the game
    Sounds like you need to find another cardiologist. People cutting out tornado damage is not the same as climbers leaving old webbing at the top of every route in the national park. Boreas you're a tool and a really boring troll. You'd think after all these years you'd be better at it, but mediocrity is the best some of us can hope for....

Sounds like you need to find another cardiologist. People cutting out tornado damage is not the same as climbers leaving old webbing at the top of every route in the national park. Boreas you're a tool and a really boring troll. You'd think after all these years you'd be better at it, but mediocrity is the best some of us can hope for....
    Simmer down Karate Kid.

Simmer down Karate Kid.
    Karate is lame. Prey strikes, predators grapple.

Karate is lame. Prey strikes, predators grapple.
    Thanks for the lesson, Daniel San!

Fuck this rain

That Don't Make No Sense

Gravel

Get some!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Gravel

Get some!
    yup, its where its at in the wet! Had a fun ride in Jamaica mon last night, start/fin at MAjeek (solid progress happening there; work road improvements+new quad parts all spread out in lot 2): Name:  IMG_20190529_184026.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  330.3 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190529_184137.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	284179Name:  IMG_20190529_184946_1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  408.7 KBName:  IMG_20190529_180419.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  517.4 KB