Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    199

    Argentinian Trip

    Anyone have any experience skiing Cerro Catedral able to provide some insight - weighing a few weeks down south end of August/early Sept of 2020.

    Loose plan for now is to stay in Bariloche and rent a car, hitting up Cerro Catedral (mostly) and Cerro Bayo (occasionally) as day trips, skiing 2 of any 3 days and exploring the town and sights on rest days.

    Any advise on whether renting a car is the right call? Is it an exorbitant cost? Does 20 km mean a much longer commute than what I'll be thinking? Don't really want to have to rely on the bus, so the other option is staying at the CC village, but that seems to miss a lot of the city, commits us to a single hill and seems like a lot more cash for the hotel.

    Thoughts?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,256
    Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Anyone have any experience skiing Cerro Catedral able to provide some insight - weighing a few weeks down south end of August/early Sept of 2020.

    Loose plan for now is to stay in Bariloche and rent a car, hitting up Cerro Catedral (mostly) and Cerro Bayo (occasionally) as day trips, skiing 2 of any 3 days and exploring the town and sights on rest days.

    Any advise on whether renting a car is the right call? Is it an exorbitant cost? Does 20 km mean a much longer commute than what I'll be thinking? Don't really want to have to rely on the bus, so the other option is staying at the CC village, but that seems to miss a lot of the city, commits us to a single hill and seems like a lot more cash for the hotel.

    Thoughts?

    Cheers
    As an option you might look into a hotel in town that has a shuttle. My first time there we stayed at hotel in town and their van service worked great. (for Catedral at least - I'm sure arrangements could be made to get to Cerro Bayo - which is a fun little spot).

    Other trips there I have have rented cars and while tiny and $$ compared to US rentals it's worked great. and yes 20 minutes is about right unless weather is heinous.

    Lots of cool stuff to explore if you have a car too.

    Staying at the resort would be very limiting IMO not much there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    199
    Nice dude, thanks for that (btw - real answers with useful information in less than 10 mins - be careful, they see you do that shit around here and they'll kick your ass out).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,307
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    As an option you might look into a hotel in town that has a shuttle. My first time there we stayed at hotel in town and their van service worked great. (for Catedral at least - I'm sure arrangements could be made to get to Cerro Bayo - which is a fun little spot).

    Other trips there I have have rented cars and while tiny and $$ compared to US rentals it's worked great. and yes 20 minutes is about right unless weather is heinous.

    Lots of cool stuff to explore if you have a car too.

    Staying at the resort would be very limiting IMO not much there.
    Same experience. Rent the car with snows. I can't tell you how much rally time that car got around that area.

    See a peak? Find a farm road and drive as far as you can and go ski it. Meet a bunch of rural locals.

    Also, Bayo is one of my favorite hills anywhere. Absolutely love that place.

    Here's a TGR blast from the past from Bayo:




    The sketchy approach road to Cerro Piltriquitrón:


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,256
    Oh that road to cerro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •