Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USFS denies permit for enduro race, partially based on #followcamfriday video

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	512.4 KB 
ID:	263880

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190111-095058.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	521.4 KB 
ID:	263881

Discuss.

OMG, are those guys skidding turns? BURN THEM!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Screwed yourself with that video.

I watched the follow cam video. Perhaps the real reason they cancelled it is because that looks like a super lame course.

So you can't race...go ride. Looks like a fun place.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I watched the follow cam video. Perhaps the real reason they cancelled it is because that looks like a super lame course.
    It's definitely a lot different than most enduro races. Pretty flat, not very technical. IIRC Nate Hills won the pro class on an SB100.
    On the other hand, it was a super accessible event since it didn't involve gnarly DH type trails and a lot of people raced it that probably wouldn't have raced an enduro otherwise. AFAIK it was the only enduro race in CO last year that completely sold out.
    I didn't race it last year and was unsure if I would this year.

Video from last year's event?

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The forest service didn't want to host a DH at a recreational XC area? SHOCKING.
    Last edited by Jonny Snow; 01-11-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    It's definitely a lot different than most enduro races. Pretty flat, not very technical. IIRC Nate Hills won the pro class on an SB100.
    On the other hand, it was a super accessible event since it didn't involve gnarly DH type trails and a lot of people raced it that probably wouldn't have raced an enduro otherwise. AFAIK it was the only enduro race in CO last year that completely sold out.
    I didn't race it last year and was unsure if I would this year.
    Maybe they should call it a downcountry race. Mike Levy would get super excited.

Just came on here to post this same topic. Here is another article on the cancellation:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...youtube-video/

One of the big things that jumped out to me was not just holding an enduro event on super popular XC trails, but that the organizers were going to be unable to close the trails during the race. That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It also kind of relates back to another discussion we were having on this forum about if media perception and portrayal of mountain bikers can impact access.
    It sucks to suck.

Nice trail grade. Doesn’t look like erosionshould be too much of an issue. I guess I can see some restrictions if it’s closed for events a lot of the year. I’ve definitely seen more than a few trails change their character from an enduro event. Give and take kind of thing. It’s a balance. We’ve also had a couple trails added from an event. Nice additions that have made one area worth more of a consideration with various new link options. At the same time I was lucky enough to ride a couple local classics on the first couple days they opened 20 some years ago. Loam top to bottom. All the drops were like landing on a stack of mattresses. Races have definitely changed the trails. I’d rather have the loam but that change is inevitable race or not and they’re still good. Those Colorado trails don’t look like they’d change near as much

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I was gonna write: those look like trails I would love and have a ton of fun on.

In other words: what you said.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

that's the thing about Buff Creek .. they don't close the area to non-participating groups during events. Ever shown up there accidentally when there is an equestrian event? Fack that noise. During the Giddyup the local trails were all closed to non-racers. That's the only way an organized race works. I wonder why the Bailey Hundo is allowed to go on, but not this Enduro?

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    that's the thing about Buff Creek .. they don't close the area to non-participating groups during events. Ever shown up there accidentally when there is an equestrian event? Fack that noise. During the Giddyup the local trails were all closed to non-racers. That's the only way an organized race works. I wonder why the Bailey Hundo is allowed to go on, but not this Enduro?
    Bailey Hundo raises a ton of money. And as someone who has ridden out there many times during the Hundo, it doesn't really impact riding all that much.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I would not be sad if CB never had another enduro, ever.
    There are a lot of places with rad trails I don't think are appropriate for races, for the exact reason the USFS cited - trail widening, shortcutting, alt lines etc. Why not hold them on trails that are already a blown out mess rather than nice narrow backcountry trails.

It has always puzzled me that a land manager would think it is a good idea in any way to keep trails open to the public while a race is going on. "Trails will be open to the public. Racers riding in an unsafe manner will be DQ'd". Right. So if you don't yield to the dumbass riding uphill on the course you're endurbro-racing down, you get DQ'd? Toast would lose his shit...

I also don't see why it is a big deal to close the trails for half a day or a day. Plenty of other places to ride/hike/take your horse. I've encountered trail running races on while rides that I wish I would have known about so I could ride elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I was gonna write: those look like trails I would love and have a ton of fun on.

In other words: what you said.
    I've ridden there a few times. Fun trails, for sure.

Not enduro worthy though. It'd be a great place for an XC race or a 24 hour race.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Toast would lose his shit...
    Truth.

Half the reason to pay for a race is so you can go balls out without worrying about other people on the trail. If I want to just ride a normal, public trail and see how fast I went, I can do that with Strava for free.

Nate Hills reaction that he's 'saddened by the result and all he wants is to stoke people out to ride' is annoying. nate, you are doing it for sponsorship money and ego and they are probably fun to make, quit the bullshit of yer doing it for the greater good of bikers everywhere. I like the guy, but c'mon.

The vid seemed pretty tame to me. Regardless, holding an enduro race on 2-way multi-use trails that are open to the public during the race is stupid as hell. Mr. Banks could have left the third item out of the letter and I'd completely agree with his reasoning.

It's SOP to close public trails for an event? Since when?
    They do/did an enduro at Blue Mountain and it was open. Someone shouted "dropping" or something and I had plenty of time to get out of the way.
    As far as trail damage, damn near seemed to be a good thing for the trail. The riders were blowing all the loose rocks off the atv trails, following the natural line, etc.
    They also do foot races along the same route and while I've never happened to ride exactly while they were going on, I'm pretty sure those trails were open.
    Do they close trails for the Butte 100? Helenduro? Etc?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

50 or 100-milers are a different beast for reasons that I would hope are obvious. I know nothing about the Helenduro, but it seems possible that those trails see as many users in a year as Buff Creek does on an average weekend.

Knowing all the parties involved personally:

1. Props to Scully for being open and putting up the letter and personal statement.

2. Nate really does it for stoke. He appreciates the role he has these days. He is a 40 year old pro who is still an influence.

3. Enduro races in the US will continue to have a downward trend. We saw it with moto enduro as well. The ability to have a race that challenges riders will be limited to private or self managed property. Race good races while you can. They will not always be around. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    It's SOP to close public trails for an event? Since when?
    They do/did an enduro at Blue Mountain and it was open. Someone shouted "dropping" or something and I had plenty of time to get out of the way.
    As far as trail damage, damn near seemed to be a good thing for the trail. The riders were blowing all the loose rocks off the atv trails, following the natural line, etc.
    They also do foot races along the same route and while I've never happened to ride exactly while they were going on, I'm pretty sure those trails were open.
    Do they close trails for the Butte 100? Helenduro? Etc?
    Most races I've done haven't been on "closed" courses in the sense that there's taping or signage preventing people from accessing the trails. The public can still get on the trail. But it's well marked that there's a race going on, and pretty much the only people on the trail are either racers or spectators.

I can't think of any race I've ever done where there were just random bikers / hikers wandering around on the course.

We had randoms on course at the CB enduro races. Had them I'm other locations but it is all a blur at this point. It happens. Not at ski areas, but in NF. You can plan to keep people off course but you can't block off all access routes so you try to use marshals and radios wisely.