Touring guide recommendations near Grand Jucnftion CO

So I'll be in Grand Junction CO, for at least a week later this month, and will have plenty of time off. I'm looking to do some touring while I'm out there but don't have any touring partners, or have any familiarity with the snow pack, or conditions. I was looking to hire a professional guide while I'm out there, but not sure where, or who. I would like to be able to go as a day trip without huge amounts of driving. I was thinking Telluride or Aspen areas, but cold be swayed by better conditions further away. Any advise would be appreciated.

The Flattops are great for snowmobiling or XC, but not so great for Alpine.
    Powderhorn is still thin, but can get some big dumps in the spring.

Tons of guides in the Roaring Fork Valley. What are your objectives?

Silverton seems like a good choice with ready made guides and a lift? Maybe 2 hours drive?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

Silverton is more like 2.5+ hours once Red Mountain Pass is done. Telluride is about the same. Crested Butte is closer to 3, depending on the road.
    Google "Durango Backcountry ski guides" for a list of guides around Red Mountain Pass.

All that said, I'd recommend Silverton Mountain with a stop in Ouray for soaking.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Colorado Mid Winter Touring Conditions + $400/day + the guide doesn't know you = I'm not sure if there is any value there for you.

There are guides based out of the RFV, Ouray, Durango, etc. I'm not sure if any really focus on one day guides tours. The winter seems to be focused more on avi classes, intro to ski touring, ice climbing etc. I'd love to be wrong. If you are into spending money, driving and seeing some beautiful mountains, go for it. If you think that you are going to do some epic ski touring by hiring a guide for a day, temper your expectations.

Overly simplified, Junction is about 3 hrs. from good skiing. The desert is amazing in the winter. Hike, bike, motorcycles etc. Moab isn't far away.

Are you driving? Do you have a ski pass? Can you bring your bike?

Grand Junkyard is only an 1hr 45 to Ski Sunlight and there are some safe/easy touring options around there. They used to offer "guides" but I'm not sure that is still the case. Williams Peak is the best touring near Sunlight and offers relatively safe glades for skiing (be warned there are some terrain traps and short pitches capable of sliding so be careful if solo).

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    The Flattops are great for snowmobiling or XC, but not so great for Alpine.
    Powderhorn is still thin, but can get some big dumps in the spring.

Tons of guides in the Roaring Fork Valley. What are your objectives?
    I donít have a set objective per say, Iíd be happy with a mellow day your. I usually donít care about gnar, or peak bagging. Iíve done my avi 1 (twice ten years apart) but live innTahoe, so I almost no experience with a continental snow pack. I only got to ski 4 days last season due to work. So Iím kinda itching to get out, but would kinda prefer it if I didnít die in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Silverton is more like 2.5+ hours once Red Mountain Pass is done. Telluride is about the same. Crested Butte is closer to 3, depending on the road.
    Google "Durango Backcountry ski guides" for a list of guides around Red Mountain Pass.

All that said, I'd recommend Silverton Mountain with a stop in Ouray for soaking.
    For some reason I thought Silverton was a longer drive (Iíve done it a few times). Thanks for the lead on Red mountain pass, Iíll check it out when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums