WTB patterned/waxless 80 to mid-90 underfoot ski, 170-180-ish long

Looking for a starter patterned / waxless setup to get me tromping around in wet/deep/sometimes dry, low angle, PNW snow with a baby on my back. Mostly for going straight on untracked but occasionally a few low angle turns in the right conditions. To be used with leather duckbill boots of the reasonably stiff variety that can accept a cable binding.

Ideally Vector BC's already mounted with 3-pin cable bindings, but anything 80-mid 90 underfoot in the 170-180-ish length range will do the trick. But the keyword is "starter setup," as I am also now a stay at home dad, milking gear purchases out of my reserve funds or gear sales/trades.

I'm about 5' 8" on a 26.5 boot.

What you got?
    Happy turns!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I have 175cm Rossignol BC125 (95mm underfoot, positrack) with Voile Hardwire 3-pins. Skis were mounted once before, I’ve been skiing without the cables but I’m sure I can find them somewhere. Probably 3 years old, maybe 10 days of meadow skipping on them. Love the setup but planning to go narrower so I can keep up with my wife on x-countr now that I’m not wearing a baby. No idea on price, probably paid $400. PM if interested and we can figure something out.

And I’m on a 29.0 boot so they may be mounted a bit forward for you, and you may have to remount the heel...

STP usually has some? worth looking

Dims are slightly off, but the price is right - 168 Surface Ruess (105 underfoot), new, in plastic, $150 + ship.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Quote Originally Posted by spthomson View Post
    Dims are slightly off, but the price is right - 168 Surface Ruess (105 underfoot), new, in plastic, $150 + ship.
    oh man, price is definitely right ... 10mm more narrow underfoot and I'd be all over that for my wife. I'm worried about how inefficient a shorter fatter ski is going to feel on long flat tours, like tromping around a lake for 10 miles etc.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

How much more efficient is a 95mm ski over a 105mm ski on the flat and if you do have intentions of some low angle turns as you stated, then the 105's would be better imo.

95s have a decent shovel but also full camber (for the glide) so float just OK, but fine for meadow skipping. Length has suited me well (185lbs, usually with kid on my back or towing a pulk).

How about Rossi setup for $225 + ship. Price police me if I’m off.

For what you describe the Altai Kom would be another choice, albeit hard to find used/discounted. I haven't skied them but my wife has the Hok and they are a great company with very well built products. My wife loves the Hoks and I am thinking of getting some for hunting when snow makes walking more difficult.

https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/kom-ski/

Hey spthompson my wife says she might be game to try out those Surface skis, or maybe she goes on the 175 Rossi’s and I use the Surface. I’ll PM you shipping deets for estimation. I bought a snowboard from you 10 years ago!

Another issue is using my wife’s soft leather duckbill boots on those things ... my leather Alico boots are decently stiffer than her boots, so I might take the Surface skis. I’m just not used to such a short ski, but then again I’ve done a fair amount of split-skiing on oddly shaped 161 cm planks with plastic straps holding soft snowboard boots in place, so I guess I could probably make them work. Maybe I’ll put in one tie mount point and bindingfreedom inserts to move the heel around for our different sole lengths ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell