Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20

    Ski Shop Near Los Angeles?

    Since Doc's in Santa Monica closed, I haven't been able to find a shop that I'd trust for things like boot fitting. Summit Ski and Cycle in Winchester is ok for beginner gear rental and maybe a tune, but they don't really sell gear (other than bikes). Any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mt Baldys shoes
    Posts
    2,739
    The Soup Nazi.
    Claude at Skinet.Sports.
    You are better off driving to Mammoth for that though.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    The Soup Nazi.
    Claude at Skinet.Sports.
    You are better off driving to Mammoth for that though.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    This guy was terrible. Go to Utah or whistler
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (12/15)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,830
    Skip Claude.

    Sports Ltd in Canoga Park has the best selection on the north side of LA, but I can't speak to their boot fitting. Mammoth.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    4,898

    Ski Shop Near Los Angeles?

    Yah the mammoth shop on corner by shell on way into town is good

    Claude charged a ton and boots were worse
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

    2018/2019 (12/15)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mt Baldys shoes
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Yah the mammoth shop on corner by shell on way into town is good

    Claude charged a ton and boots were worse
    That sounds like Corty at Footloose in Mammoth.
    Never dealt with him but most of my friends have. No negative feedback.
    Best thing is you can get worked on during a ski trip to Mammoth.

    Mammoth Mountaineering is a good place for AT boots.
    I did have experience there with my wife's Dynafits.They did a good job for her in 2016.
    I wouldn't do her work as she is too demanding "husband/wife dynamics"

    Claude at SkiNet Sports is hit and miss.
    Some love him,some hate him.
    I had a good experience with him as did my wife and friends.But this was 2005.Take it for what it is.

    There are threads on TGR on how to fit and modify boots.
    I have been fitting myself for 10 years now.
    Its pretty easy once you learn how.
    Its just a heating gun or oven,shims and possible grinder.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,332
    I prefer Kettredge to Footloose in Mammoth. Go midweek or midday to avoid a customer shit show.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mt Baldys shoes
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I prefer Kettredge to Footloose in Mammoth. Go midweek or midday to avoid a customer shit show.
    Midweek for sure^^^^

    Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Warm parts of the St. Vrain
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    There are threads on TGR on how to fit and modify boots.
    I have been fitting myself for 10 years now.
    Its pretty easy once you learn how.
    Its just a heating gun or oven,shims and possible grinder.



    Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A WITCH!!!

    This is my program too, out of necessity mostly. I say I'll get my next pair from Larry but then I won't. I'll buy them on GS and hunt down some intuitions. Or maybe they'll already have them... oh the possibilities!
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    20
    Good info - thanks everyone! Looks like I'll be saving proper fitting for a trip to Mammoth, but good to know about Sports Ltd in a pinch.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,132
    what exactly are you trying to have done to your boots ? A bit of common sense, padding and heat gun can fix a lot of issues.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mt Baldys shoes
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    WITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A WITCH!!!

    This is my program too, out of necessity mostly. I say I'll get my next pair from Larry but then I won't. I'll buy them on GS and hunt down some intuitions. Or maybe they'll already have them... oh the possibilities!
    Got my last 4 pair off of GS.
    Same with the intuitions.
    Must be brothers from another mother...
    The thread that set me free.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=102575

    Sent from my SM-N960U using TGR Forums mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    a few blocks from the beach
    Posts
    2,947
    Unfortunately, the only option left in LA is the Surefoot on Wilshire in West LA.

    Mammoth (or any ski town) is where one has to do all their equipment shopping and fitting, nowadays
    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •