Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Backcountry Routes (PNW Area)

What do you guys use for finding backcountry routes? I've been resort skiing for years but am just getting into backcountry and don't have much knowledge about the area. Are there any websites or apps people use for finding routes? For example, I use Trailforks for mountain biking, is there something similar for backcountry skiing?

Side note: If anyone is in the Seattle area and knows some good routes and are willing to share, much appreciation would be sent your way .

Google Earth and Caltopo combined with local knowledge. The great thing about backcountry skiing is that the only limitations to where you can go are natural. There aren't trails or routes necessarily. You may be able to find common skin tracks through guidebooks, blogs, and here. I've found what's best is talking to people and making connections in the community. Get general ideas of where to go then scope out tree coverage with Google Earth and slope angle with Caltopo.

REI also runs a website called PowderProject but I don't think it's very popular.

Good luck
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    What do you guys use for finding backcountry routes? I've been resort skiing for years but am just getting into backcountry and don't have much knowledge about the area. Are there any websites or apps people use for finding routes? For example, I use Trailforks for mountain biking, is there something similar for backcountry skiing?

Side note: If anyone is in the Seattle area and knows some good routes and are willing to share, much appreciation would be sent your way .

JFC.

Edit.... call Pro Guiding Service in North Bend (other vendors may also be available) tell them you just bought a pair of skis with AT binders on and you don't have a clue.. or apparently a partner with one.

Purchase one of their Intro courses.

And no there isn't an app for it.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 01-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Yeah, if this isn't some sort of elaborate two part troll and you are serious, get your level 1 while you are at it. This isn't mountain biking, you don't just get gear and go rip. The nuances for safe BC travel are many and the risk is real.

Stay inbounds, get more turns, stay alive.

Yay. Another jong in the bc. How did santa know thats what I wanted?

Might as well also ask for fishing holes while you're at it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    This isn't mountain biking, you don't just get gear and go rip. The nuances for safe BC travel are many and the risk is real.
    100%. Also guys don’t rip him for being interested. Everyone was in this spot once too.

I’d recommend getting an avy 1 before doing anything. Then either getting a trusted partner who is knowledgeable, patient, and willing to show you the ropes. If that is not possible hire a guide to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by PNW_Skier206; 01-10-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    100%. Also guys don’t rip him for being interested. Everyone was in this spot once too.

I’d recommend getting an avy 1 before doing anything. Then either getting a trusted partner who is knowledge, patient, and willing to show you the ropes. If that is not possible hire a guide to do this.

Haha no worries, I expected some bashing for being a newbie to the backcountry. Now everytime I go backpacking it's stupid busy so I understand the hate.

Yep took an avalanche class and hoping to tag along with a coworker who's been doing it for a few years, he's out of town for a month so was hoping to do a small trip or two before then and not be completely reliant on him.

Good to see your not like the recent batch of jongs who got all butthurt when the normal welcoming committee responds.

Is there a guidebook? Where I am from (Canadian Rockies), there was a good guidebook (Summits and Icefields) that was helpful when I was starting out. I asked my avalanche instructor what would be a good route to start out on. I started there and then progressed through other tours that interested me in the book. Go in with a conservative attitude, stick to mellow terrain if the rating is "Considerable" (3/5) or higher, be skeptical of existing skintracks that take shitty routes, be ready to turn around before you get into trouble. Yeah the books cost money, but cheaper than gas for a couple of trips to the mountains.

Haha no worries, I expected some bashing for being a newbie to the backcountry. Now everytime I go backpacking it's stupid busy so I understand the hate.

Yep took an avalanche class and hoping to tag along with a coworker who's been doing it for a few years, he's out of town for a month so was hoping to do a small trip or two before then and not be completely reliant on him.
    Turns all year’s FB account seems to be a burgeoning place for people to seek partners: just be clear when you ask that you’re a newbie and describe your avy education, fitness and ski ability and I suspect you’ll be rewarded.

Good luck finding someone to tour with. The lot 4 peeps are super cool but I found it downright impossible to find someone to tour with. Not the friendliest backcountry scene.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

When you're new I think going out with a professional guide in some way is a good idea. Can cost a bit but you get a chance to learn some basics, ask questions and figure things out without holding up buddies and with someone who really knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by skiitsbetter View Post
    Is there a guidebook? Where I am from (Canadian Rockies), there was a good guidebook (Summits and Icefields) that was helpful when I was starting out. I asked my avalanche instructor what would be a good route to start out on. I started there and then progressed through other tours that interested me in the book. Go in with a conservative attitude, stick to mellow terrain if the rating is "Considerable" (3/5) or higher, be skeptical of existing skintracks that take shitty routes, be ready to turn around before you get into trouble. Yeah the books cost money, but cheaper than gas for a couple of trips to the mountains.
    This one is a solid place to start and the first BC book I picked up.

https://books.google.com/books/about...kp_read_button

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    This one is a solid place to start and the first BC book I picked up.

https://books.google.com/books/about...kp_read_button

I actually looked at that book last time I was in the ski shop, seems like a good one. I'll go pick it up this weekend, thanks for the suggestion!

I actually looked at that book last time I was in the ski shop, seems like a good one. I'll go pick it up this weekend, thanks for the suggestion!
    https://www.proskiservice.com/books/...aineering.html

This one is worth picking up too..

If that's the case you can practice transitions and skinning inbounds at a ski area that allows uphill travel. that way you don't feel like you're fucking up a day or a few for your buddy.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    If that's the case you can practice transitions and skinning inbounds at a ski area
    Get the shuttle from North Bend.

Rise To The Top to the white courtesy phone please!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Good luck finding someone to tour with. The lot 4 peeps are super cool but I found it downright impossible to find someone to tour with. Not the friendliest backcountry scene.
    That's because we were all too fucked all the time on your boomers to go anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Rise To The Top to the white courtesy phone please!
    Ha! Don't forget wolf protection.

Pick up a copy of "snow sense" while you're at it.

I recommend this book for tours around Crystal.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post

Double top secret backcountry access signal:

Uphill travel closed
    Attachment 263712

Uphill travel allowed
    Attachment 263713
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Ha!
    Brilliant.