Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roatan?

Roatan?

Anyone fished there? Booked our flights last night. Doing some reading up on it this morning it sounds like there's pretty good public flats for bones and permits. Hoping to maybe find someone who has some specifics on areas I should check out.

I'm coming in February there and also interested in an answer.

When in feb? I’ll be there from 2/16 - 2/25. I got some info from the guides there about flies that I can send if you’re interested.

Roatan?

I’m curious what kind of advice was offered beyond “crabs, shrimp, and baitfish.”

I scored weed there, sketchy as fuck. I’d recommend bringing edibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    I’m curious what kind of advice was offered beyond “crabs, shrimp, and baitfish.”
    They gave some specifics on patterns and colors:

http://www.flyfishguanaja.com/what-w...PBXb5UnvnPWQfo

These are the guys I'm going to fish with and they also guide at Guanaja. He said pretty much the same patterns for both islands.

The Blue Parrot has a L-R-C evening that is pretty fun. A fun group of ex-pats and their ilk hang out there. Good food too.

That's in the same area that we are staying (Sandy Bay), I'll check it out.

I duno if its changed much but > 20 years ago I flew Roatan/ la Ceiba/ Utila from Miami to go diving on Utila

scoring weed was easy, Gord the boatman knew a guy with a large bail of the stuff sitting in a shack on the dock, it probably fell out of the sky

I felt pretty safe on the bay islands but on the way out while overnighting in la Ceiba on the mainland not so much

My first clue was the army dudes with AK47's and defenders on each floor of the hotel
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The head chef at the place my wife works at is from Honduras and he said we really gotta try and get over to Utila. He had nothing but great things to say about it. Gonna see if we can take a boat over for a day trip or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    That's in the same area that we are staying (Sandy Bay), I'll check it out.
    The sand flew are no joke around there. In that "fancier" part on the west end, they control them well, but that is about it. Didn't bother me like mosquitoes don't bother me. But the wife on the other hand...benedryl city.

" de boat comes tuesday mon " so the boat comes once a week and if its too rough the boat just doesn't come, which means some shit starts to run out. You would probably be better to take a cheap flight Roatan to La Ceiba and out to Utila ... spoke n hub

Utila had 12 dive schools in a half mile of the main street which started right at the dirt air strip, they catered mostly to young folk backpacking ( in every language ) the world before they settled into real jobs, a dive magazine at the time made the statement " inadequete for the discerning american diver " or SFT like that but it was cheap n chill ... you couldn't expect much of a hotel for 3$ a night

any how things may have changed, just watch where you go, keep your head up and have a good time
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-14-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    " de boat comes tuesday mon " so the boat comes once a week and if its too rough the boat just doesn't come, which means some shit starts to run out. You would probably be better to take a cheap flight Roatan to La Ceiba and out to Utila ... spoke n hub
    I think your beta might be a bit outdated:

https://hondurastravel.com/getting-t...-roatan-utila/

Hey that looks way better !

next yer gona tell me there aren't guns everywhere in La Ceiba ?

I won't be able to fill you in on that I don't think. We are flying through El Salvador, not sure that will be much better but we will have a day layover to kill there so I can try and find out.

Anyone fished there? Booked our flights last night. Doing some reading up on it this morning it sounds like there's pretty good public flats for bones and permits. Hoping to maybe find someone who has some specifics on areas I should check out.
    PM'd ya

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

The head chef at the place my wife works at is from Honduras and he said we really gotta try and get over to Utila. He had nothing but great things to say about it. Gonna see if we can take a boat over for a day trip or something like that.
    Was just over in Utila, put some stuff in TR thread. Happy to answer any questions. Camilla's bakery for breakfast, Gordo's for chicken, dock at Utila lodge for sunset beers and eagle rays

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

How’s the trip going?

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    How’s the trip going?
    Pretty great. Honduras exceeded expectations and now Costa Rica is super fun.

Roatan?

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Pretty great. Honduras exceeded expectations and now Costa Rica is super fun.

Good to hear! Be safe! Looking forward to some good summer days.

Let me know if we can help out with anything at the house before yo get back.

Leaving tomorrow. Got a message from the guide asking me to bring Copenhagen and letting me know they saw 52 permit between 2 boats a couple of days ago. Hopefully I can get lucky with just 1 of them.

Leaving tomorrow. Got a message from the guide asking me to bring Copenhagen and letting me know they saw 52 permit between 2 boats a couple of days ago. Hopefully I can get lucky with just 1 of them.
    I hate you! Good luck, cant wait to hear about it. See ya on the South Fork in a couple months!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Good luck man, keep it smooth when the big guy comes cruising by

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Roatan?

Leaving tomorrow. Got a message from the guide asking me to bring Copenhagen.
    From Gods mouth to your ears....priorities
    Bless you son.

Roatan?

Start out the day with the guide stringing up my rod and tying on my fly. I didn’t think much of it since we’d never fished together, that’s fair enough.

Saw a dozen permit. Had probably half those follow and turn on the fly. Had one absolutely attack the fly and eat it. Guess what knot popped? He owes me a few beers.

Gonna fish from the boat again next weekend but I got a week to make it happen and one of the best flats on the island is a 5 minute walk from where we are staying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LRG__DJF2121.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	270284
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-18-2019 at 04:59 PM.