Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Roatan?

Awesome to hear there is good fishing up there!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Good times in Roatan. It's been as good as it gets here this winter but it sure was nice to put the flip flops on for a week and a half. Originally we picked Roatan for it's diving. It's constantly ranked as one of the best places in the world to dive and it did not disappoint. I've dove in quite a few places and so far this takes the top spot. Amazing water clarity, tons of fish, the healthiest reef I've ever seen and about a thousand dive sites just off the beach.

We typically go cheap on our accommodations and blow our budget on activities. We stayed at http://www.roatanbackpackers.com/. The owner is a woman from Toronto who's been living on the island for 20 some years. She does a great job running this place. It's a 5 minute walk to the beach and maybe a 15 minute walk to some of the best DIY permit flats on the island. We ponied up $30/night for a private "apartment", it's a shipping container turned into living quarters. We had our own bathroom, kitchen, hang out area and bedroom.

killer pool at the hostel to wash the salt off before going out for evening drinks

The owner of the hostel has a teenage son who has grown up on the island and has dreams of one day becoming a guide. He was happy to show me around. He doesn't even own a fly rod but he casts better than most of the guys I fish with and he can spot and identify fish from super far away.

First permit eat happened right here.

Did 2 days in the boat with http://www.flyfishroatan.com/. These guys mainly focus on permit but I think they'd be happy to take you looking for bones as well. There are some tarpon around but not enough to really target them. Both days we saw good numbers of permit, saw tailers and had quite a few shots at fish. Good dudes guiding there, they take fishing pretty serious but are also happy to crack a morning beer at 8am to get the day started right.

Greg, the owner of fly fish roatan spends some time guiding hunting in the fall in the mid west and this is his hunting dog Colt. To keep Colt "working" the rest of the time he's trained him to spot permit tails. He's pretty damn good at it too. If you hear Colt whining or focused on something, it's worth taking a second look.

It's really damn hot there, stay hydrated if you go.

there's plenty of non fishing things to do on the island

nice views in every direction

Anyways, if you're looking for a cheap spot with good DIY access this place should probably be on your list. My only complaint (and some might think this is a pro, not a con) is how gringo it is there. I didn't realize just how many people from the US and Canada are living there. You can speak english just about wherever you go. It seems like they've fully opened up their doors to any expats to move there. Not really a horrible thing but I was a bit surprised by it.
    Last edited by dfinn; 02-28-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Great report and good to hear the reef is still healthy. We've been there a few times and agree that it's the best diving we've done. We've been hoping to get back one of these days but plane tickets seem to have gotten pretty spendy. I'll have to put fishing on the agenda for the next trip as well.

Tickets were a little spendy, I think we got them for around $800 each with a long layover both ways including an overnight in San Salvador on the way home.

We really enjoyed utilla, another level down in expense.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Nicely done! Was debating heading back in June for more fishing but we have never been to Belize so we will give that a try

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

I need to go there! Looks awesome, Dfinn!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    . I didn't realize just how many people from the US and Canada are living there. You can speak english just about wherever you go. It seems like they've fully opened up their doors to any expats to move there. Not really a horrible thing but I was a bit surprised by it.
    IME 20+ years ago everyone on the Bay islands spoke english but on the mainland it was all spanish

Consider when you go to the Hunter & Morgan store that's like Henry Morgan the pirate

those people are all descended from pirates
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know