Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    . During my initial week I watched a guy make a cut in a wall with a big Stihl chainsaw. He stopped for whatever reason and we later found out he stopped about 6" from one of the main power feeds
    I’ve heard this story many times.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    As usually happens with these necro-bump thread, I imagine the OP is long gone by now. But hey, someone casually going thru old threads figured they had something to add, like ‘patrolling sucks!’ Which isn’t what the OP asked, but we can all post ‘here’s what I do!’
    "Necro-bump"?? Casually going through "old threads"?!? Bro this thread was started THIS YEAR with the OP asking about patrolling NEXT SEASON, which has yet to actually, you know, START yet. Its hardly a necro thread

and he asked where the best place to patrol was, so those of us who have patrol experience and feel like the answer is "nowhere" are registering that opinion, which I think is pretty fucking relevant to the OPs question

Was reading one of the Ski Patrol job descriptions at Vail ...
    and it seems they are only looking for Navy Seal types that can ski and also do
    high-wire rescues whilst otherwise slaving guests needs.

Here ... a Park City job description
    https://jobs.vailresortscareers.com/...060/601740400/

Seriously. Who would ever want to do this?
    Does it pay *that* well?

"You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do.
    ... Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service."

Job Requirements include but are not limited to:

Extensive knowledge of ski patrol including but not limited to: medical response, trails, weather, training, avalanche mitigation, snowmobile operations, chairlift evacuation, and slope safety.
    Extensive knowledge of Park City Operations, including: snowmaking, risk management, terrain park, lift maintenance, race crew, lift operations, mountain safety, F & B, ski school, events, transportation, guest services and mountain services
    Demonstrates effective communication skills and strong guest service skills
    Strong decision making skills
    Effective working relationships inter/intra departmentally
    Participates in and supports mountain safety programs
    Demonstrate advanced to expert skiing ability and be able to safely negotiate any area of the mountain, whether chairlift or hiking access, in all weather and snow conditions. Patrollers must be able to ski at an advanced level to safely handle a toboggan (with provided training) in any terrain and perform avalanche mitigation duties
    Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC) Technician Certification
    Avalanche Route Leader
    Previous patrol experience – Required
    Must be available to work holidays and weekends. This is a full-time, 5 day a week position.
    Other duties, projects and responsibilities as assigned.

Physical Requirements:
    Must be able to ski at a professional skier level in all snow and weather conditions, daily, for two hours minimum and up to eight hours at a time;
    Be able to lift (and ski with) a minimum of 50 lbs daily, if the opportunity presents itself.
    Must have frequent ability to lift, stand, walk, sit, and maneuver in all climate conditions on mountain, in high elevation territories;
    Must have full dexterity of hands and fingers to feel and maneuver in cold temperatures;
    Ability to communicate with our guests verbally - listening and talking in a calm manner

Well that confirms it. I'll probably never qualify for a Ski Patrol job.

edit: I can't believe I missed this "Be able to lift (and ski with) a minimum of 50 lbs daily, if the opportunity presents itself."
    And who would ever want to miss out on an 'OPPORTUNITY'. Ha ha.
    Last edited by puregravity; 11-05-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    [KURTZ] Hinterstoisser, you heavy bastard.
    [HINTERSTOISSER] You need to do more push-ups, Kurtz.

and they probably pay $8/hr and make you pay $500 for mandatory room and board. That's how it was when I worked for them at GTNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    "Necro-bump"?? Casually going through "old threads"?!? Bro this thread was started THIS YEAR with the OP asking about patrolling NEXT SEASON, which has yet to actually, you know, START yet. Its hardly a necro thread

and he asked where the best place to patrol was, so those of us who have patrol experience and feel like the answer is "nowhere" are registering that opinion, which I think is pretty fucking relevant to the OPs question
    Whoa, lookit all those caps and quotation marks! U mad bro? Maybe you’re right, that tons of good, relevant info has been added beginning with the bump...I guess.

Though it does look like the OP is back on the thread.
    And I guess that I just don't know

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    "You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do
    Huh, they should include that line next time they are trying to bust a patrol union.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Was reading one of the Ski Patrol job descriptions at Vail ...
    and it seems they are only looking for Navy Seal types that can ski and also do
    high-wire rescues whilst otherwise slaving guests needs.

Here ... a Park City job description
    https://jobs.vailresortscareers.com/...060/601740400/

Seriously. Who would ever want to do this?
    Does it pay *that* well?

"You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do.
    ... Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service."

Job Requirements include but are not limited to:

Extensive knowledge of ski patrol including but not limited to: medical response, trails, weather, training, avalanche mitigation, snowmobile operations, chairlift evacuation, and slope safety.
    Extensive knowledge of Park City Operations, including: snowmaking, risk management, terrain park, lift maintenance, race crew, lift operations, mountain safety, F & B, ski school, events, transportation, guest services and mountain services
    Demonstrates effective communication skills and strong guest service skills
    Strong decision making skills
    Effective working relationships inter/intra departmentally
    Participates in and supports mountain safety programs
    Demonstrate advanced to expert skiing ability and be able to safely negotiate any area of the mountain, whether chairlift or hiking access, in all weather and snow conditions. Patrollers must be able to ski at an advanced level to safely handle a toboggan (with provided training) in any terrain and perform avalanche mitigation duties
    Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC) Technician Certification
    Avalanche Route Leader
    Previous patrol experience – Required
    Must be available to work holidays and weekends. This is a full-time, 5 day a week position.
    Other duties, projects and responsibilities as assigned.

Physical Requirements:
    Must be able to ski at a professional skier level in all snow and weather conditions, daily, for two hours minimum and up to eight hours at a time;
    Be able to lift (and ski with) a minimum of 50 lbs daily, if the opportunity presents itself.
    Must have frequent ability to lift, stand, walk, sit, and maneuver in all climate conditions on mountain, in high elevation territories;
    Must have full dexterity of hands and fingers to feel and maneuver in cold temperatures;
    Ability to communicate with our guests verbally - listening and talking in a calm manner

Well that confirms it. I'll probably never qualify for a Ski Patrol job.

edit: I can't believe I missed this "Be able to lift (and ski with) a minimum of 50 lbs daily, if the opportunity presents itself."
    And who would ever want to miss out on an 'OPPORTUNITY'. Ha ha.
    And as someone who would love to put in years on patrol, has kept myself fit, has improved my skiing significantly since I started, who would love to get further education, avy, emergency care, etc, and loves the aspect of being active in my job, I sit here and cant wrap my head around these places paying minimum wage for these positions. They rely on the mystique of the position to keep justifying paying people low wages for essential work.

Best Place to ski patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by cjohns716 View Post
    And as someone who would love to put in years on patrol, has kept myself fit, has improved my skiing significantly since I started, who would love to get further education, avy, emergency care, etc, and loves the aspect of being active in my job, I sit here and cant wrap my head around these places paying minimum wage for these positions. They rely on the mystique of the position to keep justifying paying people low wages for essential work.
    These places pay minimum wage cuz they can get away with it....because there will always be people who want to do the job....even if the pay sucks.

Welcome to a public service job......fireman, police officers, teachers, ski patrol, etc. Expected to dedicate their lives to help others and get shit on by most of America, including their paychecks....to public servants, it’s more about the helping others than it is the paycheck.
    Last edited by BC.; 12-01-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Does anyone actually pay minimum wage for patrol? I know WB entry is significantly above min wage (not great by all standards) but it does get better. Its like pretty much any job, come in with 0 experience and you can't expect to get paid amazingly.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Does anyone actually pay minimum wage for patrol?
    Maybe some of the larger places in the east can get away with that. As soon as the job requires an EMT cert. and avalanche control work the pay rate skyrockets to 10-12 bucks an hour.

And as been said here ad nauseum, plenty of people willing to do the job for that for a year or two for the life experience except that they aren't worth shit until their 4-5th year.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Does anyone actually pay minimum wage for patrol? I know WB entry is significantly above min wage (not great by all standards) but it does get better. Its like pretty much any job, come in with 0 experience and you can't expect to get paid amazingly.
    That's true, though you do get OEC or have EMT or similar, which isn't nothing. Certainly more than working in an Amazon warehouse or the cash register in fast food.

Really, just need to come to terms with the fact that I missed my opportunity to make minimum wage and either suck it up or wait until I retire.

I have no idea what kind of shape you are in but.

How sore do you get from a day or a week of skiing recreationally? How do your feet feel?

Now imagine what it would be like to do that 4-5 days a week for 22+ weeks in all weather and snow conditions.

It wears your ass out, not to mention spending 10 hrs a day in ski boots, there is a reason for my moniker. I would post a picture but I might get be banned.
    Ooof!

It wears your ass out, not to mention spending 10 hrs a day in ski boots, there is a reason for my moniker. I would post a picture but I might get be banned.
    You have a marmot in your boot? Or a fox?

Other Moniker skippy.

See them there white letters?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marc foot.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	304451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	304452

OK you asked for it.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by cjohns716 View Post
    That's true, though you do get OEC or have EMT or similar, which isn't nothing. Certainly more than working in an Amazon warehouse or the cash register in fast food.

Really, just need to come to terms with the fact that I missed my opportunity to make minimum wage and either suck it up or wait until I retire.
    It's not the same as patrolling, but you can also work/volunteer as "mountain safety" (or whatever it's called by you) that requires OFC cert.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It's not the same as patrolling, but you can also work/volunteer as "mountain safety" (or whatever it's called by you) that requires OFC cert.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Or you can just volunteer on patrol. Few places out west that still do it. Lots of the grunt work, nothing sexy/dangerous like running snowmobiles or avy routes.

Boot fitting

Other Moniker skippy.

See them there white letters?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marc foot.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	304451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 002.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	304452

OK you asked for it.
    Dude --

the 200. you saved in Not getting your Boots properly [Boot fitting] May cost you More than 2000. in Medical Care --

IF that is not This season's ulcer , get your boots modified Before you develop another "woud" ( is what they are now calling 'em )

good luck ( There Are some things you Can't Fix )

tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

Good boots and boot fitters are indeed priceless.

Picture 1 was at the Y/C in 2002. The young lass is now a fine ER Nurse. Picture 2 was from around 2006 and was a co-workers "wound". A combination of too small of a size, too many days and probably poor Hygiene.

I myself have Bunions you could sub-divide for a couple of families of Bunions. I have never really had much in the way of pain or 3rd/4th toes because I A. don't ski in Race Boots and B. Spent a lot of coin on fitting. BTW, Zip-fits fucking rule!
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    These places pay minimum wage cuz they can get away with it....because there will always be people who want to do the job....even if the pay sucks.

Welcome to a public service job......fireman, police officers, teachers, ski patrol, etc. Expected to dedicate their lives to help others and get shit on by most of America, including their paychecks....to public servants, it’s more about the helping others than it is the paycheck.
    Too right. EMT's as well. Though with some of those, I can at least half understand it. They're paid through taxes. No one likes increased taxes. But ski patrol is paid through the resort. Vail made $380M in net income in 2018. If people started refusing to take the substandard pay for these critical positions, the mountains wouldn't get opened, wouldn't be safe, and Vail would cave.

Maybe some of the larger places in the east can get away with that. As soon as the job requires an EMT cert. and avalanche control work the pay rate skyrockets to 10-12 bucks an hour.

And as been said here ad nauseum, plenty of people willing to do the job for that for a year or two for the life experience except that they aren't worth shit until their 4-5th year.
    Lol at "skyrockets" but I get your point. So you're saying that once you hit 4 or 5 years, you've gotten enough experience and are clearly sticking around and that's when you can make a career of it?

lol @ calling a 3 dollar an hour raise a "skyrocket." Amazon workers make $11/hr. Job requires no experience, training, or skill. Ski Patrol at Beaver Creek pays $11/hr (or it did two years ago when they offered me the job). Requires you to be an expert skier, fit, and have EMT certs. Senior ski patrol manager pays $14/hr. People's lives and health depend on you being able to do your job and they pay the same as someone slinging boxes at Amazon. I made $16/hr as a first year ski tech. Skiing is fun, but I don't personally see paying money for those certs to make less money than someone who is waxing skis.

When they stop being able to turn down most of the qualified applicants at ski patrol tryouts, wages will rise.
    Last edited by Summit; 12-02-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    When they stop being able to turn down most of the qualified applicants and ski patrol tryouts, wages will rise.
    Fingers crossed, though it seems like there's a brotherhood of masochism in accepting low pay for the prestige of being a ski patroller. Curious to hear about paid patroller's thoughts on the handful of unionized outfits.

Good buddies of mine were part of the Canyons Patrol when they went that route. It was a bitter struggle and eventually they managed to organize. They saw increases in wages and benefits but had to set up a very clear path for each worker to follow to get those increases, for example, Route Leader VS route 2nd, dog handler, lift evac technician, snow safety etc etc etc.

When they "Merged" with Park City they had to fight it all out again. Most of my friends have now retired but from what they told me, they had better conditions but not THAT much better.

FWIW here in Montana the starting wages are a bit higher than 10 buck an hour and if you spend enough time at it you can eventually reach the lofty heights of $20-24 bucks an hour, that path is + 10 years.

Big Sky has a Pro staff of over 100 paid patrollers, this season they hired about 15 new ones.

When they stop being able to turn down most of the qualified applicants at ski patrol tryouts, wages will rise.
    Programs vary, BB will not hire anyone who doesn't have experience and they have a low turnover rate. They do pay a decent wage but Bozeman is expensive as hell. Big Sky requires an EMT and they try to hire experienced patrollers but they also do hire from their Volunteer staff.

GMs see the Ski Patrol as an expense rather than a revenue generator. I think many of them, especially the ones that have never done the job think that any warm body will do.
    Ooof!

GMs see the Ski Patrol as an expense rather than a revenue generator. I think many of them, especially the ones that have never done the job think that any warm body will do.
    Just like lifts and groomers are expenses, not revenue generators. Yet, without them, you won't be able to generate any revenue...so shortsighted.