Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best Place to ski patrol?

Wanting to patrol next year. Best place to work in the front range? in CO? In WY or UT?

What are you wanting out of the experience? What certs and patrol experience do you have?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have AIARE I and CPR. working on AIARE Pro. will have WFR by the end of this season, considering WEMT. wanting to work on mountain. Planning to eventually guide.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    wanting to work on mountain. Planning to eventually guide.
    No, I mean: what would make a place "best" in your mind?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    gotcha. somewhere that treats their employees well and has a good crew. and ya know, good skiing would be cool.

for instance, I worked in the Tetons for Vail as a horseback guide and they treated everyone like garbage. I hear Winter Park treats people pretty fairly. etc.

gotcha. somewhere that treats their employees well and has a good crew. and ya know, good skiing would be cool.
    Ha ha ha
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

The best place to ski patrol in my mind would be in my mind.

Just imagine it...dropping bombs, saving lives, and breaking hearts in endless pow with no lift lines or avalanches and you're the best skier on whatever mountain you chose that day.

But for real, get out of the US, and go to Revy or Kicking Horse in B.C. Good snow, good terrain, and less beaters and less busy than Whistler. Universal Healthcare and Worker's Compensation. Dropping bombs and skiing laps in the slackcountry.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

Just imagine it...saving lives and breaking hearts in endless pow with no lift lines or avalanches and you're the best skier on whatever mountain you chose that day.
    This, or Sunshine Village?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post

Just imagine it...dropping bombs, saving lives, and breaking hearts in endless pow with no lift lines or avalanches and you're the best skier on whatever mountain you chose that day.

But for real, get out of the US, and go to Revy or Kicking Horse in B.C. Good snow, good terrain, and less beaters and less busy than Whistler. Universal Healthcare and Worker's Compensation. Dropping bombs and skiing laps in the slackcountry.
    sounds good to me.

I have AIARE I and CPR. working on AIARE Pro. will have WFR by the end of this season, considering WEMT. wanting to work on mountain. Planning to eventually guide.
    Most mountains won’t accept WFR. Most take either OEC or EMT.

My brother is at Monarch this year. They have a pretty small full time patrol so he's getting to do stuff as his first season that you wouldn't get to do for several years at a bigger resort. Really likes the patrol director, too, from what I can tell. I would also look into Wolf Creek -- purely based on the fact that it's not part of a conglomerate and they get a lot of snow, no inside beta there.

But yeah, I'm sure it's nothing like Revy or KH.

photos

Cool thanks. I thought about Loveland for the same reason. BC would be sweet though.

I would personally try to get out off the I-70 corridor in the front range, unless you need to be close to Denver for some reason.

photos

I would personally try to get out off the I-70 corridor in the front range, unless you need to be close to Denver for some reason.

no real reason other than its where I’ve been for two years and have friends here and a “not serious yet” gf.

no real reason other than its where I’ve been for two years and have friends here and a “not serious yet” gf.
    Sounds like you'll be leaving the Front Range.

Most likely. I was considering moving to South America or somewhere else abroad with good skiing and mtb.

Most likely. I was considering moving to South America or somewhere else abroad with good skiing and mtb.
    Will 3rd or 4th the Alberta/BC advice. Have you ever been up there? Them mountains are AMAZING.

Haven’t been yet. Have days on my pass I plan to use soon. Will have to consider this.

Blackcomb, obvs.

You might want to consider one of the unionized ski patrols like the ones at Aspen, Telluride, Breck (I think), Steamboat, etc. I believe Park City and Canyons are, too.

Get a NREMT license.
    And I guess that I just don't know

FWIW, I know people on Vail ski patrol and they have a solid and tight crew. They are treated pretty well and can basically get unlimited overtime. There are a lot of trustfunder types though which is kinda weird. Also there is a difference between patrol at a place like Vail versus Snowbird, like Vail is pulling bodies off the mountain in sleds a shit ton more than a place like Snowbird.

I'd wager that a lot of patrollers at places like Aspen/Vail/Telluride/Jackson are probably pulling in some dividends from a trust fund or have a parents mansion to live in.

I can tell you that if I were to patrol, I'd be looking at a ski resort that is on the bigger side and has some terrain that requires some explosives control work. If you're skiing at that resort 5+ days per week, you don't want to get bored with the terrain.

My Top CO (no particular order):
    Breck
    Vail
    Beaver Creek
    Loveland
    Snowmass
    Telluride
    Crested Butte

My Top UT (no particular order):
    Snowbird
    Alta
    Snowbasin
    Park City
    Solitude
    Brighton

Wy:
    Jackson Hole
    Grand Targhee

Overall Top 3 -- based purely on how cool/fun I would imagine being a patroler would be:
    Jackson Hole
    Snowbird
    Alta

good info guys, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    FWIW, I know people on Vail ski patrol and they have a solid and tight crew. They are treated pretty well and can basically get unlimited overtime. There are a lot of trustfunder types though which is kinda weird. Also there is a difference between patrol at a place like Vail versus Snowbird, like Vail is pulling bodies off the mountain in sleds a shit ton more than a place like Snowbird.

I'd wager that a lot of patrollers at places like Aspen/Vail/Telluride/Jackson are probably pulling in some dividends from a trust fund or have a parents mansion to live in.

I can tell you that if I were to patrol, I'd be looking at a ski resort that is on the bigger side and has some terrain that requires some explosives control work. If you're skiing at that resort 5+ days per week, you don't want to get bored with the terrain.
    I worked for Vail in the Tetons (GTLC) about 8 years ago as a wrangler. They allowed us unlimited overtime, but they paid minimum wage so it didn't really matter. Plus they did mandatory room and board deductions that were pretty high, and you basically had no other option because it was so far from Jackson and there was literally nowhere else to sleep or eat. After 5 months of working there I basically just broke even. Not that I was being particularly careful with my money, but still. It's not like there was anywhere to spend it other than buying a couple beers from...drumroll... Vail. The employees at GTLC were either rich college kids or broke ass itinerant workers and sociopaths. Anyway, it wasn't that they treated us exceptionally poorly, per se, but more that between the arm twisting room and board deductions and the minimum wage, it was basically indentured servitude. I got offered a job at Winter Park recently for something completely unrelated to ski patrol, the pay was much more reasonable, as was the lodging cost. But I'll think about the union thing. Alta could be cool. BC is intriguing.

In all honesty there are very few places left that fit into your desires.

With no experience you will need to get some, and that means spending some time at a factory patrol before a place like Snowbird or Alta or JH would consider you. Winter Park would be a decent place to do that, the PD is a friend and he is a quality guy.

And unless you have citizenship the idea of KH or Revy is not rooted in reality.

Thanks for the reality check. I’m fine with giving up some of my criteria. Just thinking about the ideal.

None of the patrollers in Aspen, that I know, are trust funders.
    Just hard working pro’s, with rich sugar mommas/daddies.

Any Aspen Patrol would good. I rode up with a Highlands troller Saturday. He worked at Steamboat for five years, then transferred just so he could work for Mac.