Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    Something to consider is that at times patrolling can be slow and boring. Kind of like a fireman waiting for a fire. The smaller resorts can be dead mid week mid winter non snow days.
    Personally I kind of liked it when the shit hit the fan, it was exciting. You might want to consider a busier place.

Also for sure go for a place where you are most likely to do avalanche control routes. That is the best part of the job.

One last thing, skiing with the coat on will change the way you ski. It is psychological, but you will feel way more in the fish bowl, like everyone is watching you.

Actually one more thing, doing what you love for a job can turn it into.....a job. And potentially detract from your love of doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I found this to be very true. One of your playgrounds is now your work place and it's hard to be both.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Don’t most (not all) Canuck patroller spend time on the csp volly program as well? Seems like a logical progression
    Yup.

But it's not mandatory to tell the girls at the bar that.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Best Place to ski patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Yup.

But it's not mandatory to tell the girls at the bar that.
    “Yup ladies I’m the only one to go straight pro, it was the winter of ought two when they called me....”
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Is ski patrol still a pretty hard job to get? ie is the demand for workers much less than the supply of rad bros who wanna ski everyday and got their EMT cert?
    My impression was you had to try to get a volunteer position on weekends and holidays for a while and then MAYBE they offer you some kind of paid position. Is this not the case anymore?
    If fact, I think Bunion was a big part of how I got that impression since he said as much.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Is ski patrol still a pretty hard job to get? ie is the demand for workers much less than the supply of rad bros who wanna ski everyday and got their EMT cert?
    My impression was you had to try to get a volunteer position on weekends and holidays for a while and then MAYBE they offer you some kind of paid position. Is this not the case anymore?
    If fact, I think Bunion was a big part of how I got that impression since he said as much.
    Here in NM there seems to be a shortage this year. py pay and last year’s shitty snow pack seem to be at the heart of it...IMO/IANAL.
    Don’t give up until.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    Something to consider is that at times patrolling can be slow and boring. Kind of like a fireman waiting for a fire. The smaller resorts can be dead mid week mid winter non snow days.
    Personally I kind of liked it when the shit hit the fan, it was exciting. You might want to consider a busier place.

Also for sure go for a place where you are most likely to do avalanche control routes. That is the best part of the job.

One last thing, skiing with the coat on will change the way you ski. It is psychological, but you will feel way more in the fish bowl, like everyone is watching you.

Actually one more thing, doing what you love for a job can turn it into.....a job. And potentially detract from your love of doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You forgot to reiterate finding a foreign sugar momma. It's a good look

I did say that, but that was applicable to the patrol I was managing at the time.

Paid patrol jobs are relatively easy if you have the certs and can actually ski.

There may be 100 real deal paid patrols in the US (I think that number is very high) with an average staff of say 50 positions.

So 5000 possible paid positions (again that is a very high number). It can be a good job and yes there are a lot of Rad Bros who want to do the job until they discover that it does have a shelf life except for a small % who put in the time and effort to move up into avalanche forecasting or medical or management and start to make decent money. As a Y/R F/T patrol director I made a bit north of 50K a year and earned every penny.

Decent money otherwise might be 15 bucks an hour for a 22 week season.

Good patrol jobs are hard to find and obtain. You will not walk on to the squads at Highlands, Bridger Bowl, JHMR, Alta, Snowbird etc without good prior experience and some luck and effort.

And as Alpinord put so well, turning a passion into a job has its down side. My last 5-6 years, I didn't free ski that much and didn't enjoy skiing at my area at all. I was always still working. Now that I have blissfully entered semi-retirement (full patrol retirement) I am really enjoying my free skiing again.

thanks for all the info. I got offered ski patrol for Beaver Creek at $11/hr last year. Couldn't figure out how to make that work with the price of an apartment out there. I work at a shop now and make more than you're saying forecasters make and have health insurance, so that's a bit depressing. I'm def interested in snow science but going to school to end up making less than I'm making now doesn't seem tenable. Also, thanks for the reminder that turning a passion into a job can kill the passion. I did that once already with my previous main passion/hobby and now I don't do it anymore. I'd hate to kill skiing for myself too. Maybe I'll go the other direction I was considering and go back to owning my own business doing something I don't love but am good at, and I know a make a ton of money at and can schedule myself with blocks of time off to ski, perhaps volunteer patrol on weekends. or just travel and ski.

I'm def interested in snow science but going to school to end up making less than I'm making now doesn't seem tenable.
    To give you an idea, the public forecasters I know have patrol experience and generally an advanced degree and make around $ 22.00 an hour and are USFS workers. They are exempt from the current shutdown. One bangs nails in the summer and the other is a fishing guide to pay for their forecasting habit.

The Forecast Center Director might get retirement and HI and then again might not. That is fairly common.

If you go to Avalanche.org and hunt around for the employment listings you will find a lot of public forecasting positions available.

Not Bunion $50k a year as Patrol Director at a very serious mountain? Had no idea. That's crazy low

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    Maybe I'll go the other direction I was considering and go back to owning my own business doing something I don't love but am good at, and I know a make a ton of money at and can schedule myself with blocks of time off to ski [...] just travel and ski.
    100% do this. If you currently have a skill set off which you can make enough money while skiing 2-3 days a week (weekends, plus maybe Friday afternoon or an evening or dawn patrol mid-week?), and also schedule blocks of time off to travel and ski, that's 100% what I would do (unless you're really passionate about something else).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    100% do this. If you currently have a skill set off which you can make enough money while skiing 2-3 days a week (weekends, plus maybe Friday afternoon or an evening or dawn patrol mid-week?), and also schedule blocks of time off to travel and ski, that's 100% what I would do (unless you're really passionate about something else).
    I actually have skills and experience that will, and has, paid me just under 6 figures and allowed me to travel around the world at will. Problem is it requires me to live in NYC or LA, which I don't want to do anymore, and I hate the work. It's the kind of thing where I'm all the way on, working 80 hours a week or more for 2 or 3 months at a time, often overnight, for weeks on end with no days off, followed by a month or so off between projects. sometimes. sometimes I go directly to the next project. Needless to say, I didn't ski much when I did that job. It's a little better when I own my own business, up to a point. Clients don't really take "sorry i went skiing" for an answer that well.

The problem with ski patrolling is that while it is hard on the body and a lot of work, the barriers to entry are low and so many people want to do it for the perks that there is no shortage of qualified applicants who will do it for free or near poverty wages. Not that different from EMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    I actually have skills and experience that will, and has, paid me just under 6 figures and allowed me to travel around the world at will. Problem is it requires me to live in NYC or LA, which I don't want to do anymore, and I hate the work. It's the kind of thing where I'm all the way on, working 80 hours a week or more for 2 or 3 months at a time, often overnight, for weeks on end with no days off, followed by a month or so off between projects. sometimes. sometimes I go directly to the next project. Needless to say, I didn't ski much when I did that job. It's a little better when I own my own business, up to a point. Clients don't really take "sorry i went skiing" for an answer that well.
    Totally understand that. My life would be much easier if I didn't want to live near the mountains. Tech companies are sadly located in tech centers, not mountain towns. With rare exceptions with a termination date, money and chunks of vacation don't make up for not skiing on a regular basis, IME.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Totally understand that. My life would be much easier if I didn't want to live near the mountains. Tech companies are sadly located in tech centers, not mountain towns. With rare exceptions with a termination date, money and chunks of vacation don't make up for not skiing on a regular basis, IME.

yep. I'm not in tech, but it's similar. Bottom line is that I'm happier living in the mountains skiing 6 days a week and being broke than I was living in NYC and making money and traveling around the world and working myself to an early grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    \so many people want to do it for the perks that there is no shortage of qualified applicants who will do it for free or near poverty wages. Not that different from EMS.
    What are these perks of EMS you speak of?!

^^Can't wait for this.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The problem with ski patrolling is that while it is hard on the body and a lot of work, the barriers to entry are low and so many people want to do it for the perks that there is no shortage of qualified applicants who will do it for free or near poverty wages. Not that different from EMS.
    all the als/paramedic guys i know are well above poverty wages
    how much can ya really expect to make with 140 hours of emt training?
    be it potentially life saving or not
    solis got a dozen newbs trollers and theyre lettin wofers as a cert
    i had a dream of trollin and fishing guiding
    lifes to short to spend it twistin boo ski traversing or watching someones bobber all day
    getting paid to ski
    and skiing with ,for as long and where and who you want
    are miles apart
    anybody who tells you theyre life is better than your vacation
    has never seen me on vacation
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    all the als/paramedic guys i know are well above poverty wages
    how much can ya really expect to make with 140 hours of emt training?
    be it potentially life saving or not
    solis got a dozen newbs trollers and theyre lettin wofers as a cert
    i had a dream of trollin and fishing guiding
    lifes to short to spend it twistin boo ski traversing or watching someones bobber all day
    getting paid to ski
    and skiing with ,for as long and where and who you want
    are miles apart
    anybody who tells you theyre life is better than your vacation
    has never seen me on vacation
    All this^

Trollers I know are too burnt out to ski on their days off.
    But they do get to lap the hike-back terrain with a snowmobile while us civilians sweat it out. Bastards.

^^^ WP? Vasquez?
    Last edited by Not bunion; 01-20-2019 at 12:04 PM.