Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    It was just bought by Vail last year...
    Text book example.
    Newb’s will probably be sporting snazzy yellow jackets and pulling all the strange.

thanks, that does explain a lot.
    Ooof!

I patrol at a mountain in the Tetons (not Jax) and feel like we have it pretty good. Pay is meh but the benefits kick ass. We do all the out of area response so we ski OB quite a bit and are always digging around. Snowmobile laps on our steep terrain and in the cat ski area and pretty mellow medical situation. Our snow is usually pretty good and if it’s high pressure go tour in the big peaks on your days off.

We usually only hire 1/2 a year and mostly off our volunteer staff. Good luck!

As a recently-retired patroller of 15 years, I can STRONGLY agree with this
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    doing what you love for a job can turn it into.....a job. And potentially detract from your love of doing it
    and this
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    most Trollers I know are too burnt out to ski on their days off.
    Patrolling turned my favorite thing in the world, into a job. Which SUCKS. and yeah, after beating up my body patrolling for several days in a row, on my off day, instead of going somewhere else to ski, I stayed home and lied on the couch. Patrolling looks good from a chairlift (and as someone said, sounds great in your head) but in reality, sucks. Low pay, ball busting hard work, nit wits everywhere forming your base clientele (my mountain starting putting the DIRECT NUMBER for ski patrol top shack on lift tickets!!?!), the occasional horrible accident that fucks you up mentally/emotionally (12 year old that put his jaw through his spine dead type shit) = dont patrol.

Fuck patrolling...... Snowmaking is where it’s at. Work from 11 to 7, ski from eight till three and then sleep from 3 to 10:30, get up, rinse and repeat.

Pay is the same. Daily first tracks, no picking up bloody fucking Amazon employees off the slopes, no standing around in freezing boots bumping chairs whilst everybody else is slashin’ the pow.

Don’t want to work outside all night? Then get a spot running the control room. Easy sit down work in a warm room. Just about every place is looking for a good control room operator’s.

Patrolling sucks.

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Patrolling sucks.

fact.
    Agreed.

Ski patrolling killed Dexter Rutecki.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Fuck patrolling...... Snowmaking is where it’s at. Work from 11 to 7, ski from eight till three and then sleep from 3 to 10:30, get up, rinse and repeat.

Pay is the same. Daily first tracks, no picking up bloody fucking Amazon employees off the slopes, no standing around in freezing boots bumping chairs whilst everybody else is slashin’ the pow.

Don’t want to work outside all night? Then get a spot running the control room. Easy sit down work in a warm room. Just about every place is looking for a good control room operator’s.

Patrolling sucks.

fact.
    shop rat works for me
    cause ya knows nobody needs a bro hook up on man made snow
    and
    #habumatters
    when your not makin much bank reguardless
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

Patrolling sucks.

fact.
    Sounds like somebody wasn't able to get a patrol job.

As a recently-retired patroller of 15 years, I can STRONGLY agree with this
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kanone View Post
    doing what you love for a job can turn it into.....a job. And potentially detract from your love of doing it
    and this
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    most Trollers I know are too burnt out to ski on their days off.
    Some truth to all of that, however in my 30 years (now retired) I pretty much loved patrolling right up to the final day.

I did take a lot of my days off in my last 10 years to do other things. Mainly because I was able to ski a lot on the job.

Most of it depends on where you are working, who you work with and the culture of the crew as in, "do they put the Ski in Ski Patrol." At all 4 areas I worked in Montana we skied a lot.

I do see that changing down at the really big as the crowds descend. Fking Ikon Passes.
    Ooof!

Patrolling sucks.

fact.
    Hey bud,

Fact: Snowmaking is becoming more and more automated and will soon not need to have very many people needed. Your 'control room' is moving to an app on the phone which can be controlled by the 1-2 people who actually need to be awake at night.

This of course is at the big resorts already and coming to a hill near you!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The problem with ski patrolling is that while it is hard on the body and a lot of work, the barriers to entry are low and so many people want to do it for the perks that there is no shortage of qualified applicants who will do it for free or near poverty wages. Not that different from EMS.
    Adding on to this is that in CO, there are a lot of patrollers who can work for $12/hour because they are in fact trust funders. Truth and not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Adding on to this is that in CO, there are a lot of patrollers who can work for $12/hour because they are in fact trust funders. Truth and not joking.
    There are a lot of people in Colorado in general who are supported by their parents' money. The entire outdoor industry in CO (both on the resort side and on the gear side) is kept afloat by wealthy East Coast and California parents who pay for the cost of living of their adult children making $10/hr-$40k/year working in the industry.

Also, anyone who has been around the ski industry knows that if you want to live in a ski town and ski you will be way better off not working for the ski resort. Stocking shelves in the evening is a better lifestyle than patrolling for someone who wants to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Also, anyone who has been around the ski industry knows that if you want to live in a ski town and ski you will be way better off not working for the ski resort. Stocking shelves in the evening is a better lifestyle than patrolling for someone who wants to ski.
    I thought the OP master plan was to just get some patrol experience and first aid training to parlay in to being a big mountain guide as the career objective....
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post

on the flip side a good majority of my friends and touring partners came from workin at the tude
    but im sure the grocery store or amazon wharehouse is full of great peeps who share your passions and you would want to ski with
    so id strongly disagree with that statement
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -
    ski on in eternal peace

As usually happens with these necro-bump thread, I imagine the OP is long gone by now. But hey, someone casually going thru old threads figured they had something to add, like ‘patrolling sucks!’ Which isn’t what the OP asked, but we can all post ‘here’s what I do!’
    And I guess that I just don't know

I skied a shitload patrolling. Maybe some of you were doing it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    And yeah, ^this.
    And I guess that I just don't know

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I think it is more a function of where they are.

If you are working at Keystone or Breck or Alta/Bird etc they are busy mountains and there is a lot to have to deal with.

If the Upper management staff for the Patrol doesn't allow for skiing as the biggest perk of the job? Forget it.

When I moved to Big Sky there were about 22 paid patrollers and a bunch of Vollies for the weekends. We were skiing < 300K skier days and most days the place was a ghost town, the PD allowed for all sorts of exploration/shenanigans. We had access to tons of terrain that was not open unless we spent the time getting it open and that was a part of the job, R&D if you will. Now it is all lift accessed or only requires a short hike.

Those days have changed. Oh well, I believe I was fortunate enough to patrol during the golden age.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    I

Those days have changed. Oh well, I believe I was fortunate enough to patrol during the golden age.
    patrolling in the 80's and 90's yeah the golden age of what it was all about
    today, still a great job if that's your passion, but more corporate, like the day they were told they couldn't drink after work in locker room

My last locker room was still wet. I don't know how much longer it will last.

My 1st several years at Big Sky the patrol, lifts and ski school had the run of this huge concrete dungeon under the gondola. When the RH was just right it could rain indoors. We carved out a warren of rooms including 2 locker rooms, the Rock & Roll & the C&W. Had a keg for a couple of years before it became apparent that bottles/cans were the way to go. Pawn shop stereos with an array of large speakers. During my initial week I watched a guy make a cut in a wall with a big Stihl chainsaw. He stopped for whatever reason and we later found out he stopped about 6" from one of the main power feeds.

The lift ops were in the same general area and we had a sort of a thing with them. There was a rumor that they were planning some sort of a prank so we broke into their locker room to discover a large container of urine. One of the genius's of the group poured a bunch of it in a basin and left it outside the ski instructors locker room with a hand made sign declaring it to be an antiseptic foot bath.

One of the new guys that 1st year and a couple more now heads a very large Gubamint forecasting operation in a State south and east of there. One of the lift ops plotting to distribute urine without a permit now heads a different Gubamint forecasting operation west of here. Them was our salad days.

Be a great book but who would read it?

Anyway, here is to the next generation.
    Last edited by Marmot or Fox; 10-21-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    but more corporate, like the day they were told they couldn't drink after work in locker room
    Another reason not to work for VR.

Aspen’s still wet, make about $20 and work some long ass days. Lots of much respected, grizzled old veterans, that sure don’t look like trust funders.

If you are not stoked to ski on days off you are working at the wrong place. Yes, ski patrolling has taken some of the joy out of going to the resort on my days off, but just go tour! Most patrollers i know in the Tetons get after it on their days off.

As for a dry locker room, I don’t even know what to say to that. I feel like after a beer or two is when the best debriefs start to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by haysman16 View Post
    If you are not stoked to ski on days off you are working at the wrong place. Yes, ski patrolling has taken some of the joy out of going to the resort on my days off, but just go tour! Most patrollers i know in the Tetons get after it on their days off.

As for a dry locker room, I don’t even know what to say to that. I feel like after a beer or two is when the best debriefs start to happen.
    ^^^ HB, is that you?
    Ooof!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmot or Fox View Post
    ^^^ HB, is that you?
    If you were asking about Harkin, no I’m not Sal. I’m not anywhere near that cool

Nope thought you might be the alter ego of a buddy I patrolled with in MT, last heard of he was at the King.
    Ooof!

I'm the OP. I tore ligaments in my knee doing other sports and am out for the season. I went back to my office job career for a while so I could get real health insurance and have some PTO and sit at a desk while I recover/regroup. I make roughly 3-4 times as much as a full time year round shop rat/patroller/etc would. We'll see what happens when my knee gets better, but I'm pretty sure ski patrolling isn't it. I do appreciate the insights. I liked the ski bum lifestyle up to a point, but being broke all the time gets old. so does sitting in an office, so I'm sure I'll be doing something else in a year.