Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    You could likely get onto Snowbasin's ski patrol without experience if you have OEC/EMT and come across as a decent person. Some advantages of Basin: they have an awesome, hard working director at the moment who will likely give you whatever training you ask for. You will run your fair share of wrecks, but it's not all you'll do (unlike somewhere like PC). Class A avy terrain so you'll run a route right off the bat. Ogden is close by for cheap housing. Disadvantage is that they don't pay as well as some places.

^^^ Good advice.

For the OP, I am reading between the lines here so please don't take this personally.

You sound like you are young and want to ski patrol but aren't sure why or what is involved.

A good 1st step would be to get some information on 2-3 patrols in the area you are living and that might interest you. Contact the ski patrol directors and arrange a face to face, preferably when it isn't snowing a lot or during the busy times, MLK weekend is the next big one on the calendar (1/21).

Plan to spend maybe 15 minutes with them with the idea of arranging it for you to spend a 1/2 a day or a full day shadowing and getting an idea what the job is really about and what the crew is all about.

Be forewarned, most 3-5 year patrollers can be sort of dickish to wannabes. Take a thick skin, try not to be too eager or pushy but be prepared to help out and get your hands dirty.

When I was hiring patrollers that type of approach/effort really went a long way towards impressing me.

Also, if you want to do this, ask yourself for how long. Nothing pissed me off more than putting 2-3 year into training someone only to have them leave just when they start to have some real value.

Good luck.

I’m not that young actually. I’ve already had two professional careers. I just don’t like to answer questions on this forum too honestly because there’s so many dickheaded answers about simple questions, I’m not trying to give those folks more ammo. At any rate, I really appreciate all the actually helpful info in here. Seriously. Thank you.

Crested Butte has been hiring for sure, and I hear that even the newbs get to run routes since they had a lot of turnover the past few years. They throw about as many bombs as anywhere in NA. Might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Crested Butte has been hiring for sure, and I hear that even the newbs get to run routes since they had a lot of turnover the past few years. They throw about as many bombs as anywhere in NA. Might be worth a look.
    Usually theres a reason for high turnover
    I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Usually there’s a reason for high turnover
    Yep. Previous owners= questionable support and pay. New owner = big question mark in Vail, might be good, might be bad. I also suspect (hope) that one position will be different next year and will make many happy.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    dickheaded answers about simple questions.
    One way or another, this will be a part of your ski patrol career, methinks.

JHSP requires advanced skills in this.

Lol. Fair enough. I work in high end retail so I’m getting some practice.

I had a friend that patrolled at PC. that job launched his professional guiding, producing, and photo gig. guiding for him started out because he was solid with his first aid/EMT skills (and certs), was willing to go slow and carry a heavy load, and is humble/helpful. it was a gig on denali during the mid/late spring. the other guides were more senior patrollers at PC.

not sure how vail's gonna be doing it at other hills, but at kirkwood, the new mountain manager was a staff patroller at the hill for 10+ years. At some point, i believe he shifted over to some sort of safety or management position at heavenly (also vail-owned). the current head of snow safety at kirkwood was also a staff patroller for 10+ years at the hill. he joyed the patrol after multiple requests/suggestions to apply from senior patrol. both of these men have always seemed relatively happy with their winter-time jobs. they also have guided in the spring at the end of the ski season, usually just ski guiding in the sierra.

+1 blackcomb

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    Lol. Fair enough. I work in high end retail so Im getting some practice.
    I dont think thats going to prepare you for patrol chicanery
    I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.

I also worked as a horseback wilderness tour guide in the Tetons. I have stories of guest stupidity you wouldn’t believe. Or maybe you would.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I also suspect (hope) that one position will be different next year and will make many happy.

That sucks, were blessed with cool PDs and good MM.

CB used to have a rep for a great patrol and hard to get on to. That was back in the Sherwood era through. Also back when it snowed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    CB used to have a rep for a great patrol and hard to get on to. That was back in the Sherwood era through. Also back when it snowed there.
    Right?! They used to have tryouts (that you had to pay for) and they'd maybe hire one person for the next season, part time. Pretty sure anyone with a pulse gets hired these days, though obviously there are some highly talented folks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    You might want to consider one of the unionized ski patrols like the ones at Aspen, Telluride, Breck (I think), Steamboat, etc. I believe Park City and Canyons are, too.

Get a NREMT license.
    there are unionized patrols? insurance, retirement?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Yes, not sure but probably, not sure but probably.
    Jesus rides beside me, he never buys any smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    There is just not very many

Aspens union is pretty loose and a result of negotiations with the previous owners in the 80s.
    They have insurance, 401k and I would assume, the highest pay in NA.

CB is union too.

Things might be looking up under Vail, they're actually letting them work OT to get terrain open. I know that was one source of frustration under the previous owners, who didn't want to see one second of OT and led to slow openings.

So fucked up.

Is Colorado OT after 40 hrs or greater?

In UT (PCMR pre-merger) we didn't get OT until after 48 hrs and the Canyons didn't get OT until after 56, we worked 5-6 days a week.

Because of that wrinkle we always got at least 48hrs and had plenty of time for A/C.

When I moved to MT they paid OT at 40 and we were working 5 days a week which led to lots of OT. Then someone had the bright idea to go to a 4 day work week.

Something to consider is that at times patrolling can be slow and boring. Kind of like a fireman waiting for a fire. The smaller resorts can be dead mid week mid winter non snow days.
    Personally I kind of liked it when the shit hit the fan, it was exciting. You might want to consider a busier place.

Also for sure go for a place where you are most likely to do avalanche control routes. That is the best part of the job.

One last thing, skiing with the coat on will change the way you ski. It is psychological, but you will feel way more in the fish bowl, like everyone is watching you.

Actually one more thing, doing what you love for a job can turn it into.....a job. And potentially detract from your love of doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    So fucked up.

Is Colorado OT after 40 hrs or greater?

In UT (PCMR pre-merger) we didn't get OT until after 48 hrs and the Canyons didn't get OT until after 56, we worked 5-6 days a week.

Because of that wrinkle we always got at least 48hrs and had plenty of time for A/C.

When I moved to MT they paid OT at 40 and we were working 5 days a week which led to lots of OT. Then someone had the bright idea to go to a 4 day work week.
    i think this law pertains to patrollers in CO
    Ski Industry Exemption: employees of the ski industry performing duties directly related to ski area operations for downhill skiing or snow boarding, and those employees engaged in providing food and beverage services at on-mountain locations, are exempt from the forty (40) hour overtime requirement of the Wage Order. The daily overtime requirement of one and one-half the regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of twelve (12) in a workday shall apply. This partial overtime exemption does not apply to ski area employees performing duties related to lodging.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    The best place to ski patrol in my mind would be in my mind.

Just imagine it...dropping bombs, saving lives, and breaking hearts in endless pow with no lift lines or avalanches and you're the best skier on whatever mountain you chose that day.

But for real, get out of the US, and go to Revy or Kicking Horse in B.C. Good snow, good terrain, and less beaters and less busy than Whistler. Universal Healthcare and Worker's Compensation. Dropping bombs and skiing laps in the slackcountry.
    Nice thoughts but you prolly best keep those fantasies up in the empty abandon because yanks don't just get to pick up and move to Canuckistan when they feel like a change of scene.

Dont most (not all) Canuck patroller spend time on the csp volly program as well? Seems like a logical progression