ascendant vs lupo for a parkable AT boot

I've got scarpa freedom RS's right now, they're decent for a pretty chargey boot, but even then I feel more limited at speed than i did in my (significantly softer) dalbellos and FT's. it was probably my mistake to go with the freedoms, probably shouldnt have trusted the boot fitter as much as i did. the whole design/philosophy of boots like that I just completely disagree with. Anyway...

I've had both full tilts and dalbello's. Liked both, got a slightly better fit out of the full tilts, but think that might have been down to the boot fitter more. biggest downside to the dalbello's were their warmth, i had abnormally cold toes in them despite a good fit and decent room in the toe box.

I grew up a park skier, still spend maybe 40% of my time in the park, and usually do a couple laps on powder or all mountain cruising days. Got park skis, 120 waist powder skis, and just about decided on my all round/touring ski, thinking north shore 108's and shifts.

it would be awesome to have a ski that could handle all those and have that nice park boot style progressive flex, maybe a little stiffer, and still tour well.
    planning on a lighter touring specific ski/binding/boot next year, so weight isnt a huge factor with these, but if they're light enough and tour well enough I may just skip getting a lightweight touring specific boot next year.

Anyone got experience in either/both? or any other recommendations? I've got a super wide forefoot, high arch, dont like arch support, dont mind the front of my foot swimming a little so long as my heels locked in solid. like to be as low as possible in the boot. and really like a progressive flex. if that helps narrow it down.

Lupo is great. Fairly upright. Ride it without the spoiler
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

If you are after a progressive flex then you are looking at the wrong boots. Three piece shells like the dalbello and full tilt are much more linear in their flex. Maybe look at some overlap touring boots like the Lange XT to get the flex you want.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

P.S I love my lupo’s. Cracking boot.

People don't get linear vs progressive

Maybe we can stop educating them?

Lupos are stiff, and pretty narrow, even the wider version.

I don't know how much you weigh, but the softest version would probably be best if you want to ski park.

I guess you’re right I mean linear.
    I had 120 flex il moros and those didn’t feel overly stiff, felt fine. I did have to get those punched out and get some work done, to get the toe area to fit well, they’re a 98 last I think.

Surprisingly my 98 last FT hotdoggers that I didn’t get any boot work done on, no custom footbeds etc. just a heat molded liner, had the best fit out of any boot I’ve had, a which is strange because a 98 last in any other boot I’ve tried would have needed a ton of widening. But like I said I think my boot fitter for the dalbellos didn’t do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    I guess you’re right I mean linear.
    I had 120 flex il moros and those didn’t feel overly stiff, felt fine. I did have to get those punched out and get some work done, to get the toe area to fit well, they’re a 98 last I think.

Surprisingly my 98 last FT hotdoggers that I didn’t get any boot work done on, no custom footbeds etc. just a heat molded liner, had the best fit out of any boot I’ve had, a which is strange because a 98 last in any other boot I’ve tried would have needed a ton of widening. But like I said I think my boot fitter for the dalbellos didn’t do a great job.
    Check out the Lupo AX115. Has the Krypton style cuff. I ride them inbounds on alpine clamps w/ a Full Tilt Pro Wrap liner and a Booster strap. Light, comfy, responsive, everything I was after...

Well the FT boot is 102 last and the Lupo is 100 last... so there's that.

I'd go to a ski shop and try them on.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Did your iL moro’s have an Intuition liner or normal liner. I suspect normal if cold was an issue. Intuition is more better in every way.

That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Well the FT boot is 102 last and the Lupo is 100 last... so there's that.

I'd go to a ski shop and try them on.
    Lupo is 98. Lupo AX is wider-100mm or 103?

Tried on the Lupo ax 120 and the ascendant, ascendant was a shell size too big but from what I could tell it’d be a great fit.
    I’m not too sure about the lupos liner, and overall the boot felt softer than a 120. My concern with the Lupo is that it may be sacrificing too much downhill performance. The ascendant just seems more burly, I like the liner more, seems like it wouldn’t be making any sacrifices inbounds.
    maybe the Lupo 125 or 130 would be worth checking out?

I also tried on the atomic hawx xtd 130 and was pretty pleasantly surprised by how well it fit and how nice the flex was. Would definitely need to get the toe box punched out. Though it’s hard to get an idea of how it’s gonna ski when it’s actually clicked into a binding and skiing. It doesn’t seem like it was designed with park and more freestyle skiing in mind while the ascendant definitely does.

Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    ...maybe the Lupo 125 or 130 would be worth checking out?
    I am loving my 130s so far, but they are a stiff 130. Miles stiffer than an FT #10 tongue (haven’t tried the new #12.) They also have the same crap liner as the AX. If I was going to spend more time in the park I’d definitely spring for an Intuition Tour Wrap to give myself a little more cushion.

The 130’s big advantages for me over the Ascendent are
    A.) A little bit of weight savings
    2.) A cuff height similar to the original FTs and the Kryptons. I was bummed by the low cuff of the Descendant shell when FT released it a few years ago as I felt it completely changed the feel of the boot.