Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Glad I chose the path I did...

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    hihi - awesomeness.

FutureLight - The North Face

So… TNF customer service gave me a store credit last year for the Brigandine jacket that I sent back. I am not interested in their Gucci colab and need a jacket so I have to give it another chance. If it turns out that this one is not more waterproof, I will give up, keep it for the warmest day and buy a burliest hard shell for the wet days.

It seems that they reinforced the fabric. Last years’ brigandine was 75D x 75D. I am hesitating between the Brigandine and the A-CAD jacket.

Which one do you think is the burliest?

- Brigandine fabric is 75D x 100D 141 g / m² 91% recycles polyester, 9% polyethylene Spectra ripstop with DWR finish.
    - A-CAD Body – 75D 175 g/m² FUTURELIGHT 3L 100% recycled polyester with a durable water-repellent finish (DWR)
    Elbows – 75D x 100D 141 g/m² FUTURELIGHT 3L 91% recycled polyester / 9% polyethylene Spectra ripstop with DWR finish

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    So… TNF customer service gave me a store credit last year for the Brigandine jacket that I sent back. I am not interested in their Gucci colab and need a jacket so I have to give it another chance. If it turns out that this one is not more waterproof, I will give up, keep it for the warmest day and buy a burliest hard shell for the wet days.

It seems that they reinforced the fabric. Last years’ brigandine was 75D x 75D. I am hesitating between the Brigandine and the A-CAD jacket.

Which one do you think is the burliest?

- Brigandine fabric is 75D x 100D 141 g / m² 91% recycles polyester, 9% polyethylene Spectra ripstop with DWR finish.
    - A-CAD Body – 75D 175 g/m² FUTURELIGHT 3L 100% recycled polyester with a durable water-repellent finish (DWR)
    Elbows – 75D x 100D 141 g/m² FUTURELIGHT 3L 91% recycled polyester / 9% polyethylene Spectra ripstop with DWR finish
    Get the summit series L5 always the burliest line for NF

Quote Originally Posted by KJA64 View Post
    I might not understand fabric tech but 70D x 20D recycled nylon seems lighter.

I might not understand fabric tech but 70D x 20D recycled nylon seems lighter.
    Website says L5 is 70d x 70d Nylon, not 20.

Nylon has significantly higher abrasion resistance than polyester.

I have more TNF Futurelight jackets than I ought to - brigandine, purist, a cad, L5 and FL jackets. Yes, I got a bit carried away.

The Brigandine's fit and finish is def higher than that of the A Cad, the fabric is more flexible and the functionality is higher, while the A-Cads fabric is stiffer, feels heavier making the jacket just feels more burly. I prefer the Brigandine of the two, and would def run it exclusively if it too came in the camo print (yes, I am a sucker for camo). I prefer the Purist jacket over the A Cad too, though it is def less burly. So the Brigandine is def the more refined jacket, while the A Cad is probably the more bombproof. You can def tell that they are in different price points imho. Every time I put on the A Cad I think "hm, these are probably good for tree skiing - sturdy".

I am about to warrenty my second L5 summit jacket. It is a decent jacket - light and very breathable, but not terribly good for massive rain exposure and not very durable from my experience. I do not understand how people can go climbing or mountaineering with them - they are pretty flimsy. The Summit Futurelight jacket is more of a work horse - sturdier if a bit less elastic/breathable. I just picked up a FL jacket this past week (50% sale) and it seems like it is the jacket that i'd hoped that the L5 was. But, the L5 is a fantastic randonee jacket though - it is just so damned light and breathable, though the lack of hand warmer pockets kinda blows.

Not true. The jackets designed for lift access skiing are going to be burlier. Weight actually matters when you're hauling yourself up the mountain plus just about every athlete doesn't want a summit jacket above 40D
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Not true. The jackets designed for lift access skiing are going to be burlier. Weight actually matters when you're hauling yourself up the mountain plus just about every athlete doesn't want a summit jacket above 40D
    True I just find the Summit Series seems to be better made and lasts longer. I also just like simple less fashion type of gear.

True I just find the Summit Series seems to be better made and lasts longer. I also just like simple less fashion type of gear.
    ok bud, I'll go tell the Steep and athlete team.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I have more TNF Futurelight jackets than I ought to - brigandine, purist, a cad, L5 and FL jackets. Yes, I got a bit carried away.

The Brigandine's fit and finish is def higher than that of the A Cad, the fabric is more flexible and the functionality is higher, while the A-Cads fabric is stiffer, feels heavier making the jacket just feels more burly. I prefer the Brigandine of the two, and would def run it exclusively if it too came in the camo print (yes, I am a sucker for camo). I prefer the Purist jacket over the A Cad too, though it is def less burly. So the Brigandine is def the more refined jacket, while the A Cad is probably the more bombproof. You can def tell that they are in different price points imho. Every time I put on the A Cad I think "hm, these are probably good for tree skiing - sturdy".

I am about to warrenty my second L5 summit jacket. It is a decent jacket - light and very breathable, but not terribly good for massive rain exposure and not very durable from my experience. I do not understand how people can go climbing or mountaineering with them - they are pretty flimsy. The Summit Futurelight jacket is more of a work horse - sturdier if a bit less elastic/breathable. I just picked up a FL jacket this past week (50% sale) and it seems like it is the jacket that i'd hoped that the L5 was. But, the L5 is a fantastic randonee jacket though - it is just so damned light and breathable, though the lack of hand warmer pockets kinda blows.

I used to have the Purist before the transition to Futurelight. I really liked it and should have kept it for powder days. I also really liked how light the Brigandine futurelight was, just hoped for something as burly as their previous gore tex models. I did not consider the Purist because they removed the arms zip. I need to wait for the official website to drop the collection but from what Evo advertise they seem to have reinforced all the model with Ripstop and thicker fabric.
    Maybe I just need a quiver of jackets too, one for Tahoe blue bird days and another one for wet days

I ended up using my store credit to buy a Brigandine kit. I received it today and it seems that it’s not as soft as last year model’s and closer to the goretex pro (which for my use is a good thing). I will see how it ages and will do report.

Purchased the L5 summit for like $65 at tnf outlet. Super light and super thin. Seems to be a niche jacket to go in the pack.

I ended up using my store credit to buy a Brigandine kit. I received it today and it seems that it’s not as soft as last year model’s and closer to the goretex pro (which for my use is a good thing). I will see how it ages and will do report.
    yeah, the new one seems a bit more sturdy with the introduction of the rip stop material, though I have no idea having only seem it online. The old FL version is more than adequate for skiing imho, if not as bombproof as the price might suggest. I actually really like it. If it came in last year's A Cad jacket camo it would be the only jacket I would need for inbounds skiing, perhaps with one a size down for touring. But then again I am a sucker for camo. (not this year's camo though, which looks like shit)

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Purchased the L5 summit for like $65 at tnf outlet. Super light and super thin. Seems to be a niche jacket to go in the pack.
    Holy shit, that is a sensational deal. Good find.

I just started the warrenty process for my second L5 jacket. The first one got replaced due to excessive wear on one shoulder panel (purple), this one has been excessively worn (nearly a hole) on the left hand side (blue,) on the inside. The wear is not symmetrical, so it is not caused by layers underneath and/or a backpack - but seemingly something being off with that panel. Time will tell how TNF warrenty it - the last time the process took months.
    Name:  L5.png
Views: 626
Size:  268.7 KB
    I do not really get how a jacket that is so flimsy that is meant to be used for climbing and mountaineering can be approved in the R&D process, let alone be released to the wild, but then again it is a bit more sturdy than the superduper lightweight L5 light version (the version with only a single chest pocket)

GuessI have the super duper lightweight version with just one chest pocket. It is in the summit series

So what happened? TNF just bounced and went back to gore?

Quote Originally Posted by big kook View Post
    So what happened? TNF just bounced and went back to gore?
    My guess is that it's been a mixture of lack of sales momentum, consumer demand for Gore, Futurelight durability issues and Scott Mellin leaving the brand a couple years back, who had really championed exploring fabric tech and Future Light through at TNF. Scott's now at Salomon, dealing with the Chinese ownership and French holdovers

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    My guess is that it's been a mixture of lack of sales momentum, consumer demand for Gore, Futurelight durability issues and Scott Mellin leaving the brand a couple years back, who had really championed exploring fabric tech and Future Light through at TNF. Scott's now at Salomon, dealing with the Chinese ownership and French holdovers
    I think they kept the lighter futurelight for the touring oriented pieces and ditched the burlier futurelight and went back to gore Tex.
    I got two Brigandine futurelight jackets and I like their second and burlier version. The first one was too light for resort use.