Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I got sick of pretending that the stock liners were good enough, so bought and molded some Intuition MV Luxury liners. Now just back from a 4 day hut trip, putting in some big days on steep and technical lines, and couldn’t be happier. The new liners addressed all the minor comfort and performance issues I was experiencing. I chose the luxury liners over pro-tours because I wanted to prioritize skiing performance over walkability, and I’m glad I did. For everything but multi-day slog fests (and for which I have lighter boots) these are as perfect as I can imagine.
    Final update for the season. I added padding on top of my toes (such a weirdly high toe box) and mounted my bindings forward 1cm (to compensate for the relatively upright stance of the boots combined with the exceptionally flat ramp angle of my G3 Zeds). I’ve since had a few days of deep Spring powder (and lots of corn noodling) and am entirely satisfied with how they’re skiing. I also have ideas for improving the lever and buckles (to reduce the fiddle factor, unrelated to skiing performance) but I’ll save that for my geek out feedback to Hoji.

......and mounted my bindings forward 1cm (to compensate for the relatively upright stance of the boots combined with the exceptionally flat ramp angle of my G3 Zeds).......
    I would have thought that adding a shim under the heel binding would better correct that.

... to compensate for the relatively upright stance of the boots ...
    As it's pretty common issue with this boot: less than 15g easy mod for Hoji lock mechanism to add more forward lean (just tape dense foam pad spoiler directly to the moving wedge part)
    Name:  photo_2021-04-28_23-44-51.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  114.7 KB
    This way the spoiler is almost unnoticable in walk mode.
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 02-23-2022 at 05:48 PM.

What aftermarket liners are people putting in these? I'm in a 27 shell with a 1-1.5cm shell fit, and currently using some old size 28 MV Intution Dreamliners that must have 100 days on them. Anyone using a Tour Wrap?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    What aftermarket liners are people putting in these? I'm in a 27 shell with a 1-1.5cm shell fit, and currently using some old size 28 MV Intution Dreamliners that must have 100 days on them. Anyone using a Tour Wrap?

I tried stuffing my 26 tour wraps into my 26.5 (27 shell) Hojis and could not get them to fit/buckle.
    But... after skiing on the stock Sidas liners for half a season last year, I thought they were fine.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I have Tour Wraps in mine. I actually might be selling them (27.5) if you’re interested (light use low to no funk). The heel hold isn’t working great for me and I think the scarpa liners are a bit more foam in the heel. Full disclosure, I think they work ‘fine’ but I like wraps better in overlap boots.

The stock liners feel alright but are heavy in an already heavy boot, hence the desire to swap them for some Intuition. Perhaps I should just go with a new Dreamliner and call it good, but I was intrigued by the Tour Wrap.

I've always associated wrap liners with tongue-style shells, not with overlap boots. As far as I know dating back to Flexons, Full Tilts, and Dalbellos were the only widely available tongue style shells, and they all came stock with wrap liners.

I got a 4 buckle overlap Dalbello alpine boot that came from Dalbello with the orange ID power wrap liner liner,

I also got pwr wraps in my Vulcans which have a tongue also in a T-1

so I'm a total pwr wrap fanboi cuz IME the pwr wrap is good for a high arch
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-13-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For the record, I’ve only skied the wraps in overlap boots prior to this. So I don’t have them on full tilts or equivalent tongue boots. I’ve just noticed that the liner is a bit difficult to compress into the shells on the Hoji Free. Molding was harder than a normal wrap and I need to be a little intentional when installing them to make sure they’re lined up well.

The stock liners feel alright but are heavy in an already heavy boot, hence the desire to swap them for some Intuition. Perhaps I should just go with a new Dreamliner and call it good, but I was intrigued by the Tour Wrap.

I've always associated wrap liners with tongue-style shells, not with overlap boots. As far as I know dating back to Flexons, Full Tilts, and Dalbellos were the only widely available tongue style shells, and they all came stock with wrap liners.

Regarding fit. My Hoji Free 110s fit me better than almost (but for the Salomon S-Lab X/Alps, which have other limitations) every touring boot I’ve used (8 over 30 years). I appreciate that I can close them down over my instep, holding my heel down and providing even contact to push into. I had a bit too much space around my ankle, but putting in some MV Luxury Liners dealt with that. Even then, I still had too much volume above my toes, so added a half-moon foam pad, which dealt with that. Now, when I’m skiing backcountry powder, they’re faultless. Even skiing inbounds in consistent fresh snow or on soft groomers, they’re effectively indistinguishable performance wise from my alpine boots. However in more challenging variable conditions, or firm groomed snow, the limitations in fit become apparent. There’s no getting around that they have all sorts of volume that I don’t need, and that even the geometry of the ankle pivot and flex isn’t as refined as my FT Classic alpine boots. I’ve taken up the excess volume on my Hoji’s, so they’re comfortable enough, and my feet aren’t moving, but there is still a significantly diminished responsiveness and sensitivity. When skiing firm snow in my FTs, I’m getting constant feedback through the arches of my feet as I progress through a turn, and I’m able to control and modulate ski edge pressure by pressuring along and through the soles of my feet and into my boot tongues (it’s one complimentary movement). This is somewhat possible in my Hoji Frees, and certainly more so than any other touring boot I’ve used, they’ve just got lots of room for improvement.

Yeah, it's the room in the boot, as i don't have these issues.

Btw, instead of putting in a thick liner, which will compress, i would glue some hard plastic to the shell in the areas where you need to take volume.

I know it takes time, but in the long run you'll love the results.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post

Btw, instead of putting in a thick liner, which will compress, i would glue some hard plastic to the shell in the areas where you need to take volume.

I have used this stuff, agricultural pump discharge hose to take up room in a boot cuz i can get it very cheap by the foot at a farm supply store, it does not compress and its thin enough to easily conform to corners

for instal it stays where I tape it with ductape, if I need it thicker I just use a double application but usually one layer of the 2" hose seems to be about the right

https://www.amazon.ca/Poolmaster-321...07OTEJGG&psc=1
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Yeah, it's the room in the boot, as i don't have these issues.

I'm wondering what kind of plastic you use and where you get it?

I only had to do it about 6 years ago in some black diamond boots i was swimming in.
    Don't remember exactly but it was a flexible piece of plastic that didn't compress much

Has anyone been in these and the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD and can shed some light on general differences in fit? I understand these are quite a bit wider, with a lower instep? The lower shell on one of my Hawx' has started cracking around the instep buckle.

I have ultra xtd, tried to get in Hojis and it was impossible. Instep was so tight, that there was not even a possibility to push my feet in. Ultra xtd is also on tight side, but with tour wrap it's easy to get in.

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Bought a pair end of my 2020 season (foolish timing) and now have 4 days skiing in them. I noticed after my first day they were killing the inside of my ankles right on the ball-bone, from the roughly 6:00-10pm position (bottom and around the front). Today (day 4) I took 2 runs to confirm where things hurt and went to the only boot fitter option where were skiing (Snowshoe). Guy was nice and suggested we mold the liners and add heel riser, which I didn't think either would help but I appreciate that approach. After that I suggested to heat/bend/punch where I can feel the shell rubbing. He did some and didn't want to get too carried away (which I again, appreciate). His work provided a little relief, but more needs to be done. I don't think the heel risers helped, so I took them out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hoji3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	404018

Name:	Hoji2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	484.0 KB 
ID:	404019

Pics probably aren't great, but I'm pointing to where I need more room.

So here are my questions:

1. Had anyone else had this issue and what did you do?

2. Suggestions from the masses (who didn't have this issue) on fixing this issue, more heat and bend? Grind?

3. Most important question: did I fuck this up all around and despite them feeling great on carpet and this boot just won't work with my ankle?

I want these things to work because they fit well otherwise. I like the way they ski and function. I gave away my old Alpine boots and touring boots to go to one boot. Skiing with kids I was drawn to something I can walk around and be the pack mule all day, but not give up skiing performance.

Thanks a bunch for any advice and funny heckling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hoji.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	358.2 KB 
ID:	404016  

Quote Originally Posted by jables View Post
    Bought a pair end of my 2020 season (foolish timing) and now have 4 days skiing in them. I noticed after my first day they were killing the inside of my ankles right on the ball-bone, from the roughly 6:00-10pm position (bottom and around the front). Today (day 4) I took 2 runs to confirm where things hurt and went to the only boot fitter option where were skiing (Snowshoe). Guy was nice and suggested we mold the liners and add heel riser, which I didn't think either would help but I appreciate that approach. After that I suggested to heat/bend/punch where I can feel the shell rubbing. He did some and didn't want to get too carried away (which I again, appreciate). His work provided a little relief, but more needs to be done. I don't think the heel risers helped, so I took them out.

2. Suggestions from the masses (who didn't have this issue) on fixing this issue, more heat and bend? Grind?

3. Most important question: did I fuck this up all around and despite them feeling great on carpet and this boot just won't work with my ankle?

I want these things to work because they fit well otherwise. I like the way they ski and function. I gave away my old Alpine boots and touring boots to go to one boot. Skiing with kids I was drawn to something I can walk around and be the pack mule all day, but not give up skiing performance.

Good call on taking out the out the heel lift. I would assume that would only make the front of the ankle worse. Don't be afraid to punch the boot where you need it. Many people have ankle problems in the hoji free.

Check out Eric's tutorial on a DIY fix> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41eu...b_channel=Hoji

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Good call on taking out the out the heel lift. I would assume that would only make the front of the ankle worse. Don't be afraid to punch the boot where you need it. Many people have ankle problems in the hoji free.

Check out Eric's tutorial on a DIY fix> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41eu...b_channel=Hoji
    This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to receive from the group Thanks a bunch for the link and encouragement. I figured (and thought I had read) others had similar issues. I just wanted to ensure I wasn't going down a frivolous path.

I had the same problem and for me it was the thin liner that didn't manage to hold my skinny ankle in place. I had the first year boot, not sure if you have the same liner. Fulltilt and Dalbello (tour) wrap solved the problem for me, walk mode not as good with those liners though.

EDIT: I had the pro tour, not the free. Maybe the free liner already is a bit better.

I thought about a different liner, but wanted to try the stock ones as I read they were a big improvement from years past. I think I just have an ankle bone that doesn't jive well with the boot, but wasn't something I could identify before skiing in them as the pain came about after pressure from skiing.

I did take the boots back to the shop I'm the village today and the boot fitter basically let me use his bench, heat gun and vice grips to do what I wanted which was super cool of him. I did what I could without ideal clamps and it certainly made a difference. He started the process and (I believe) he melted the orange price along the back of the boot, it might have been me but not sure. Luckily I did not notice it. it felt a lot better today after working on them with Hoji's YouTube video suggestion. I'm going to keep tweaking them but feel a lot better than I did this time yesterday.

Thanks all!

Anyone mod these to use them with casts? I figured I could epoxy on a plastic piece so it could be semi WTR

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Anyone mod these to use them with casts? I figured I could epoxy on a plastic piece so it could be semi WTR
    Use Hoji Free 130 as my main resort boot with STH1 driver bindings for two seasons and it works fine for me, releases when needed, no prereleases, can't feel the "rubber sole" cushion/play under the foot etc.

But it looks like pretty easy mod, to grind a strip of rubber and screw in a piece of HDPE.

Bought a pair end of my 2020 season (foolish timing) and now have 4 days skiing in them. I noticed after my first day they were killing the inside of my ankles right on the ball-bone, from the roughly 6:00-10pm position (bottom and around the front).
    If I got your problem zone right (Googled - "Accessory Navicular Bone" in my case)
    Heat and press.

Name:	photo_2022-02-24_02-17-02.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	407170
    Not very neat as overheated plastic bubbled.
    Last edited by Va Ki Bo; 02-23-2022 at 05:49 PM.

Got a pair of these home for testing, and I have to say they feel pretty good out of the box. Instep is definitely lower than in my Hawx XTD's, but I think I can live with it. I'm a little worried about heel hold, though.

Does anyone know the baking procedure of the liners in these? Temp and time? Is there any point in baking them at all? Should I just put some Pro Tours in them straight away?