Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Well, I'm no Dentist, but maybe a bit of gaper. This is definitely a splurge for me. I appreciate all the info and hopefully I'll be less of a gaper after the trip

So, unless Powder Cats have packs with an airbag, my plan is Avalung, probe and shovel. Steep and Cheap has a reasonably priced probe and I'm hoping someone comes through on a pack for me here. Not sure about where to get the shovel yet.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Nope. Maybe I should, but that sucks. And I kinda operate on the assumption that, if I'm in a tree well, I probably have at least have a little bit of mobility (unlike in a avy burial) so I can hopefully get the mouthpiece in.

Obviously not a perfect system. But skiing with an avalung doesn't have many downsides, and if I avoided terrain that had tree well hazards, that'd pretty much mean not skiing at all.
    I do the same thing with my Avalung II on deep days. More often inbounds than out, oddly enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    What's the story behind shovel and probe being optional? Maybe I'm slow but I don't understand...
    Just my guess but, I would think that you bringing your own shovel and probe is optional. If you don't have them, they probably equip you. That's been my experience in other operations. I would also guess that you have to use their transceivers since they didn't give that option. Most ops like to be sure beacons are uniform and in their view of working order. Shovels and probes, not much to worry about with that.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Just my guess but, I would think that you bringing your own shovel and probe is optional. If you don't have them, they probably equip you. That's been my experience in other operations. I would also guess that you have to use their transceivers since they didn't give that option. Most ops like to be sure beacons are uniform and in their view of working order. Shovels and probes, not much to worry about with that.
    This. In skiing with both Big Red Cats and Monashee; you used their transceiver. End of story. However, you could use your own gear if you chose.

When skiing CMH heli, it was all their gear. Period.

YMMV

Yeah, that makes sense. Gotcha, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    This. In skiing with both Big Red Cats and Monashee; you used their transceiver. End of story. However, you could use your own gear if you chose.

When skiing CMH heli, it was all their gear. Period.

YMMV
    A lot of ops have gone to requiring you use their equipment including air packs, shovels, probes, beacons, etc. Many have equipped their packs with a 10 or 20 meter rope and other devices for onsite extrication in case of someone falling into an open creek or other hazard. Can't blame them for wanting uniform safety preparedness, even though the guides are the ones likely to make any sort of rescue....unless, of course, it's them in need of being rescued. So, there's that...

A lot of ops have gone to requiring you use their equipment including air packs, shovels, probes, beacons, etc. Many have equipped their packs with a 10 or 20 meter rope and other devices for onsite extrication in case of someone falling into an open creek or other hazard. Can't blame them for wanting uniform safety preparedness, even though the guides are the ones likely to make any sort of rescue....unless, of course, it's them in need of being rescued. So, there's that...
    Bingo. And I'm totally ok with that. For heli ops, I get that there's a weight issue. But yah, all good.