Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE
    This dark and often surreal comedy walks the line between deadpan brilliance and over-the-top outlandishness. On the surface, TAOSD is an absurdist jaunt into the life of a glorious sad sack who finds redemption in karate. Kind of. The film is teeming with foreshadowing and, in a way, is pretty predictable, but it moves at such a wonderfully succinct pace that you kind of forget about the breadcrumbs that have been dropped until BAM! they smack you in the face and you say “Damn, I should have seen that coming!”.
    Jesse Eisenberg plays the socially awkward protagonist to great effect, perhaps a smidgen over-the-top in terms of how stiff and detached he is from reality and social norms. Then again, that seems to be the film’s major ploy: fucking with the balance of impassive and camp. Imogen Poot is equally enthralling, giving an earnest, yet smoldering performance. And Alessandro Nivola as the off-kilter karate sensei is wonderfully malevolent.
    On top of it all there’s plenty of good old ultra-violence sprinkled throughout, which offsets the droll satire nicely and helps create an atmosphere where you never really know what’s going to happen next. Okay, I did mention all of the blatant foreshadowing leading up to predictable moments, but the violence often works as a jarring red herring.
    If you like your comedies swinging from the gallows, but in an irreverent and left-of-center manner then this is an entertaining and engaging effort.

RIYL: The Lobster; Safety Not Guaranteed; After Hours; Withnail & I; Repo Man

PS
    the director's previous film, Faults, is streaming on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend it, as well.
    Thanks. I got it last night. A dollar well spent

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Thanks. I got it last night. A dollar well spent

I know I am repeating myself here, but the director's first film, Faults, is currently on Amazon Prime and totally worth the watch...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

The director's first film, Faults, is currently on Amazon Prime and totally worth the watch...
    I sprung for Prime this month. Getting hooked. Faults is next. Thanks

Baby Driver

Here's the opening scene, which is worth watching even if you never see the whole movie. Turn it up, the music is a key part of the deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARFyrM6gVs
    Gravity Junkie

It would have been better if they used an actual baby

I sprung for Prime this month. Getting hooked. Faults is next. Thanks

https://youtu.be/pnnbhJSX75U

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME

Even if you are suffering from cinematic “superhero fatigue” or agree with Marty about Marvel movies, I honestly have to say that this entry in the Spider-verse is really frickin' entertaining.
    I will wholly admit that I went into this film with considerably low expectations, yet, as with the recent Shazam! film, I was pleasantly surprised. This may actually be one of the best Marvel efforts to date.
    Now if you have even a passing knowledge of Spider-Man and his exploits the film can be a tad predictable, but there’s enough cool visual flair to keep your eyes glued to the screen. However, what really stands out here is the script. Not so much the story, mind you, but rather the dialogue, which is smart, clever, and, well, often feels genuine. It's funny, too. On top of that, the acting is great, with all concerned within the Peter Parker inner circle (Ned, MJ, etc.) Delivering easy going and naturalistic interaction throughout.
    In short, Spider-Man: Far From Home is what you want from a superhero movie: decent action augmented by a decent story, all wrapped up in solid dialogue and great chemistry between all of the actors involved.
    That said, the film looses a few points for yet another cosmic battle of "epic" proportions (we can thank all of the Avengers films for setting this now boring and bloated bar), as well as the “twist” ending, which was kind of lame and most likely meant to be “ironic” (t's not).
    Oh yeah, if you are a gung-ho superhero movie nerd then be advised that there are two post-credit “bonus” sequences.

RIYL: Spider-Man: Homecoming; Avengers: Endgame; All the other Marvel films; Shazam!

Peanut butter falcon. Outstanding

Peanut butter falcon. Outstanding

https://youtu.be/UNl9RqjLCwc

Fast & Furious. I thought it was another Vin Diesel Ludacris piece of nonsense. This actually looks great

https://youtu.be/HZ7PAyCDwEg

Fast & Furious. I thought it was another Vin Diesel Ludacris piece of nonsense. This actually looks great

It has a few entertaining moments, but was surprisingly slow in parts for being an action movie. Not nearly as fun as the other gazillion F and F movies. Overall meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Watched it a few days ago.

I guess it's about what I expected. If you're willing to suspend disbelief in just about everything, it's good, I suppose. And as long as you don't take a tiny step back and ask "why are all these incredibly attractive women working in these shady industries? Seems like they could make more money being models. And wouldn't they get cold in those outfits?" And if the world's about to end, how come the entire fate of humanity is left to these two guys that are kinda just independent contractors? Wouldn't there be some kind of military involvement? And there's this one scene where the Rock is in the middle of a fight and jumps onto a moving vehicle, and in the process, puts his shirt back on. Why would he do that? Why not just leave the shirt off? Or really, why take it off in the first place? When you're 6'8" and 280 lbs but wear a size medium shirt, we can see the steroids just fine. And when they have a 24 hour deadline to work with, why did they think that flying to a tiny island on the other side of the world was a good use of their time? And what airline were they on, because that flight went really quickly. They still had like 22 hours left. And do people actually like Kevin Hart?

So yeah, if you're willing to set that stuff aside, it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Watched it a few days ago.

I guess it's about what I expected. If you're willing to suspend disbelief in just about everything, it's good, I suppose. And as long as you don't take a tiny step back and ask "why are all these incredibly attractive women working in these shady industries? Seems like they could make more money being models. And wouldn't they get cold in those outfits?" And if the world's about to end, how come the entire fate of humanity is left to these two guys that are kinda just independent contractors? Wouldn't there be some kind of military involvement? And there's this one scene where the Rock is in the middle of a fight and jumps onto a moving vehicle, and in the process, puts his shirt back on. Why would he do that? Why not just leave the shirt off? Or really, why take it off in the first place? When you're 6'8" and 280 lbs but wear a size medium shirt, we can see the steroids just fine. And when they have a 24 hour deadline to work with, why did they think that flying to a tiny island on the other side of the world was a good use of their time? And what airline were they on, because that flight went really quickly. They still had like 22 hours left. And do people actually like Kevin Hart?

So yeah, if you're willing to set that stuff aside, it's good.
    Damn, now you're causing me to second guess my review!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...61#post5734261

😎

FWIW, I found Ryan Reynolds to be just as annoying as Hart in this film...

Damn, now you're causing me to second guess my review!
    For whatever it's worth, I don't think I've seen any of the other F & F movies (other than catching snippets here and there). So I don't really know any of the backstories and I'm not at all invested in the series.

But the movie kinda lost me when, pretty early on, some vehicle caught air, and then the cgi hand of anti gravity clearly grabbed it, accelerated it, and propelled it into an artificial arc. That kinda thing happened a lot, which I guess is to be expected, but I also found it distractingly cartoonish.

It's the same reason I hate mission impossible 2 - John Woo totally fucked that movie with the terrible motorcycle chase scene.

I need to go watch ronin and cleanse my car chase palette.

For whatever it's worth, I don't think I've seen any of the other F & F movies (other than catching snippets here and there). So I don't really know any of the backstories and I'm not at all invested in the series.

But the movie kinda lost me when, pretty early on, some vehicle caught air, and then the cgi hand of anti gravity clearly grabbed it, accelerated it, and propelled it into an artificial arc. That kinda thing happened a lot, which I guess is to be expected, but I also found it distractingly cartoonish.

It's the same reason I hate mission impossible 2 - John Woo totally fucked that movie with the terrible motorcycle chase scene.

I need to go watch ronin and cleanse my car chase palette.
    😁

I enjoyed The film because it was so unabashedly over-the-top. I have seen all of the entries in the series and felt that it is one of the stronger ones, fwtw.

As for Ronin? CLASSIC. Re-visited it earlier this year and it still holds up. Perhaps put To Live and Die in L.A. with it for a good double-feature?
    😎

THE ART OF SELF DEFENSE
    This dark and often surreal comedy walks the line between deadpan brilliance and over-the-top outlandishness. On the surface, TAOSD is an absurdist jaunt into the life of a glorious sad sack who finds redemption in karate. Kind of. The film is teeming with foreshadowing and, in a way, is pretty predictable, but it moves at such a wonderfully succinct pace that you kind of forget about the breadcrumbs that have been dropped until BAM! they smack you in the face and you say “Damn, I should have seen that coming!”.
    Jesse Eisenberg plays the socially awkward protagonist to great effect, perhaps a smidgen over-the-top in terms of how stiff and detached he is from reality and social norms. Then again, that seems to be the film’s major ploy: fucking with the balance of impassive and camp. Imogen Poot is equally enthralling, giving an earnest, yet smoldering performance. And Alessandro Nivola as the off-kilter karate sensei is wonderfully malevolent.
    On top of it all there’s plenty of good old ultra-violence sprinkled throughout, which offsets the droll satire nicely and helps create an atmosphere where you never really know what’s going to happen next. Okay, I did mention all of the blatant foreshadowing leading up to predictable moments, but the violence often works as a jarring red herring.
    If you like your comedies swinging from the gallows, but in an irreverent and left-of-center manner then this is an entertaining and engaging effort.

RIYL: The Lobster; Safety Not Guaranteed; After Hours; Withnail & I; Repo Man

PS
    the director's previous film, Faults, is streaming on Amazon Prime and I highly recommend it, as well.
    Where can I find this, Dookey? I totally relate to what sounds like an underlying premise of this movie having seen a lot of troubled, unhinged, emotionally volatile dudes get into karate for all the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Where can I find this, Dookey? I totally relate to what sounds like an underlying premise of this movie having seen a lot of troubled, unhinged, emotionally volatile dudes get into karate for all the wrong reasons.
    It has been making the rounds at Redbox...

https://www.redbox.com/locations?pro...f=309125&buy=0

I put in Fast & Furious last night because watching college football was getting boring. It didn't make it to the second scene. These guys were like no way oh, I'm not watching that. I'm halfway through it it's pretty good. Rainy sunday morning. Wtf. I just enjoy special effects and The Rock makes a good antagonist for Jason. When Red Box does $1.25 off on weekends, it's worth the $0.53 and I'm going to the supermarket anyway a mile away.
    I ordered some movies from the library that were highly recommended. There's really nothing left on Redbox that I want to see.

Last edited by willywhit; 11-24-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Anna - 3/5. La Femme Nikita meets Charlie's Angels. Nothing too new here, but it generally manages to avoid all of the traps that so often make these sort of spy movies kinda terrible. The reveal at the end gets a bit implausible and creates some plot holes, but it was late enough in the movie that I didn't really care. The main character is easy to look at too.

Stuber - 3/5. Wasn't expecting much, but the redbox options are a bit slim at the moment. Actually found it to be reasonably watchable. The plot is dumb, but you already knew that. The dialog is just witty enough to keep the movie moving along, and as far as ambulatory heaps of muscles go, I find Dave Bautista pretty entertaining. Decent dead pan delivery. Kumail Nanjiani is annoying (purposely), but not so annoying that I couldn't take it anymore (which is a fine line that isn't always easy to walk). That all makes this movie sound underwhelming, but I liked it. It's an easy, funny, albeit forgettable comedy.

Anna - 3/5. La Femme Nikita meets Charlie's Angels. Nothing too new here, but it generally manages to avoid all of the traps that so often make these sort of spy movies kinda terrible. The reveal at the end gets a bit implausible and creates some plot holes, but it was late enough in the movie that I didn't really care. The main character is easy to look at too...

Funny! (because I just recently watched Anna, too)

I watched this last night (Netflix DVD) and I found it to be kinda like Atomic Blonde-meets-Red Sparrow with perhaps a bit of Hanna thrown in for good (or bad) measure. Yet it was rather lacking the insane intensity of AB whilst having all the kind of boring aspects of RS.
    While some of the twists were interesting, overall I felt it was missing something and was a tad on the lackluster side of things. I'd give it a 2 or 2.5. Definitely not one of Besson's best (I'd recommend watching (or revisiting) La Femme Nikita or Subway or Leon (aka The Professional)...

Funny! (because I just recently watched Anna, too)

I watched this last night (Netflix DVD) and I found it to be kinda like Atomic Blonde-meets-Red Sparrow with perhaps a bit of Hanna thrown in for good (or bad) measure. Yet it was rather lacking the insane intensity of AB whilst having all the kind of boring aspects of RS.
    While some of the twists were interesting, overall I felt it was missing something and was a tad on the lackluster side of things. I'd give it a 2 or 2.5. Definitely not one of Besson's best (I'd recommend watching (or revisiting) La Femme Nikita or Subway or Leon (aka The Professional)...
    Yeah, I guess I mostly agree. It's not really an action movie though, so the atomic blonde comparison feels slightly off. Anna does action-y things, but it doesn't really try to dwell on the action - there aren't really any elaborate fight sequences or anything like that.

But yeah, 3/5 might be a little generous. Definitely agree that it's not Besson's finest (although certainly not his worst either). In my defense, I was post surgery and on a moderate amount of drugs. It may have seemed better at the time.

Good Boys was funny.

Both worthy flicks.
    Leap of faith and wasn't disappointed.

Stoked for this

https://youtu.be/ELeMaP8EPAA

Mr Rogers movie cued up.
    Looks great