Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    The Sony 18-135 is back on sale for $498 so I sold my Sony 18-105 PZ and picked it up. I haven't had much of an opportunity to test it yet but I already appreciate that it's smaller and lighter while having a touch more zoom. I'll try to get some photos and post them up.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The Sony 18-135 is back on sale for $498 so I sold my Sony 18-105 PZ and picked it up. I haven't had much of an opportunity to test it yet but I already appreciate that it's smaller and lighter while having a touch more zoom. I'll try to get some photos and post them up.
    Do you know how long it's on sale for? I'm renting both the 16-70mm Zeiss and the 18-135 this week. I shot with both yesterday and so far both are way better than the kit 16-50PZ (obviously). I need to shoot more with the 18-135 but my initial impression is that it's good enough that it's not worth the extra $$ for the Zeiss.

Not sure how long, but it's on sale through Sony, so all retailers.

Has anyone shot with the 18-135 on one of the full-frame bodies in crop mode? I'm thinking of getting the A7iii, but I need a lighter combo to take on my MTB trips. Right now I've got the M50 and the 18-150, which is tiny and works well. I think an A7iii plus the 18-135 would be great... I don't need huge files since they're only posted online, so the 10-12MP crop effect would be fine. Just wondering about compatibility and if there are any compromises that I'm not thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Has anyone shot with the 18-135 on one of the full-frame bodies in crop mode? I'm thinking of getting the A7iii, but I need a lighter combo to take on my MTB trips. Right now I've got the M50 and the 18-150, which is tiny and works well. I think an A7iii plus the 18-135 would be great... I don't need huge files since they're only posted online, so the 10-12MP crop effect would be fine. Just wondering about compatibility and if there are any compromises that I'm not thinking of.
    Ooohhhhh a7iii.... That would be sweet.

Have you handled the body before? Def a tad bigger than my a6500. For biking, why not consider a crop body? I'd think the auto focus is a tad nicer vs your m50. PQ is prbly a toss up depending on your glass.

Although I love the idea of owning an a7iii at some point, the convenience of having the smaller body (especially for biking) is too hard to pass up IMO.

I'll prbly still get an a7iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post

Have you handled the body before? Def a tad bigger than my a6500. For biking, why not consider a crop body? I'd think the auto focus is a tad nicer vs your m50. PQ is prbly a toss up depending on your glass.

Although I love the idea of owning an a7iii at some point, the convenience of having the smaller body (especially for biking) is too hard to pass up IMO.

A7iii AF is beyond description. Full frame pictures blown up are insanely sharp.

For pocketable cameras I use a RX100. For my SLR - an A7ii (don't have the bling power of smokan). I had considered the A6*000 series but if I wanted an interchangeable lens camera my personal preference was to go whole hog.

I use the A7ii with a Sony 24-105mm, Sony 50mm, and a Canon 70-200 with adapter (the last one rarely). So cannot comment on how the non full-frame Emounts work

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post

Right now I've got the Canon M50 and I just sold the 6D (full frame)... because I want one camera, not multiple. That said, I don't want a crop camera because I want full-frame for vacations and other personal stuff. And then I want the size/weight to be manageable for my CE trips. My lens lineup would look something like:

Sony 18-135
    Sony FE 24-70 f/4
    Canon 70-200 f/4 IS w/ adapter
    And then a couple of primes TBD

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I use the A7ii with a Sony 24-105mm, Sony 50mm, and a Canon 70-200 with adapter (the last one rarely). So cannot comment on how the non full-frame Emounts work
    Thread bump. How do you like the Canon 70-200 on the A7iii? I just pulled the trigger and since I already have the 70-200 f/4 IS, I'm going to use it for a while with the MC-11 instead of splurging for Sony glass. Most of my shots with that lens will likely be landscapes or portraits so I'm not too concerned with AF speed, but I'm curious to hear your experience so far.

Thread bump. How do you like the Canon 70-200 on the A7iii? I just pulled the trigger and since I already have the 70-200 f/4 IS, I'm going to use it for a while with the MC-11 instead of splurging for Sony glass. Most of my shots with that lens will likely be landscapes or portraits so I'm not too concerned with AF speed, but I'm curious to hear your experience so far.
    Steve

I'm using the 70-200 the same way. Ie shooting far away slow moving or still objects. It's not seeing much use as the Sony 24-105 is so good. But it's fun to have around and old glass so owes me nothing

Gotcha. I just got my A7iii today, and I have the Sony 24-70 f/4 along with the two adapted Canon lenses (70-200 f/4 IS and 50mm f/1.4). So far, it has been pretty easy to setup and get used to. It'll take some time to figure out the focus system and where all the buttons are, but I really dig the pictures I took this afternoon.

I played around with the Eye-AF and holy shit it's awesome. Almost makes me want to shoot more portraits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IzzySonyTest-1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	817.7 KB 
ID:	271397

Bought bronic's 35mm f1.8 prime. Stoked man, thanks.

Answering my own question from above.... I picked up a used Sony 18-135mm off eBay (supposedly new/other as part of a kit) to use on my A7iii. Focus seems super fast, it's sharp, and I don't see any downsides from taking about 30-40 pictures with it this afternoon.

Name:	IzzySnow-1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	892.2 KB 
ID:	273906

Name:	IzzySnow-3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	869.8 KB 
ID:	273907

Nice. I bought a 18-135 as well, it'll be here Friday. I rented both it and the 16-70 Zeiss, didn't get as many photos to compare as I would have liked, but the 18-135 seemed close enough in quality with more reach and many less dollars.

One taken this morning with the 18-135. I noticed there's a little bit of noise when I had the ISO bumped up, I'm assuming mostly because it's in APS-C mode which means only 11'ish MP on the A7iii. Still was nice to have that much range.

Name:	BCSkiing-2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	274010

I really like having the 18-200, it makes the mirrorless setup a bit heavy so many times I'll leave it at home but when I'm willing to lug it around it is nice.

I have been shooting with the following aps-c lenses on the A6000 the past year or two

55-210: Maybe my favorite but I’m biased towards telephoto shots. Great value (picked up used for $100), Good focus speed, fairly light and small for the range, great for ski shots, pretty soft towards the 210 end, sucks balls in low light as expected. I shoot a pano for a wide landscape angle shot.

Sigma 30 1.4: sharp as shit but much bigger than the Sony 35 1.8 which is annoying, good focal length (45mm with crop conversion), haven’t had any problems or complaints due to lack of stabilization. Dethroned in sharpness only by the new sigma 56.

18-105: The workhorse, able to get wide angle shots and telephoto, seems to get better towards the telephoto end unlike the 55-210. F4 105 is perfect for ski shots. Stabilized. Works wonders for video work, unlike the 18-135

Sigma 19 2.8: Cheap, mainly use it for astro/Milky Way shots and landscapes. Small and compact. I could live without it now that I have the 30.

Tempted to move the A7III paired with a 50mm while saving for more glass but the compact size and cheaper prices of aps-c have me fairly content with this setup.

Check out the technology mafia YouTube channel. He does great in-depth comparison of almost every Sony lens

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Finally got a decent test of the 18-135 and I am happy with it. Focuses fast and is sharp even when zoomed fully and then cropped like you often have to do when shooting from safe zones while skiing.

Took about 1700 shots with it over the course of a week: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...dge-March-2019

Finally had a chance to shoot a bit with the 18-135 as well and I'm really happy with it. I can't see myself ever using the 16-50 kit lens again unless I really need the compact size. And I think the 55-210 will stay home most days too.

Yep, I'm super happy with the 18-135, even in crop mode on the A7iii. It focuses fast and seems to be quite sharp.

Name:	FruitaSpring19-Day3-7.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	282338

Anyone have experience taking ski video with the A6000? I took a bunch of video of bump skiers this past weekend in bright sunlight with the 16-50 kit lens. The exposure looks fine when I start shooting uphill but when I track the skier downhill, the snow is overexposed in some of the clips. It seems like the camera is not adjusting fast enough to the brighter light.

Not sure if this a lens or camera problem or just user error. I was able to correct some of the overexposure with the video editor. Overexposure can be seen at 58 seconds.
    https://youtu.be/BnV9QAHq3zo The first clip was shot with my Galaxy S10 and the last 3 skiers were with the 55-210 Sony lens at full zoom. Everything else was the 16-50.

Bump.... is anyone shooting with the Sony 10-18? I have the A7iii with an adapted Canon 17-40 as my ultra-wide, but with the adapter the setup is just too big to carry around during my Chasing Epic trips. So I never end up using it. I was thinking of getting the 10-18 to use in APS-C mode as an alternative. I know it crops down to 10MP, but I've had good luck using the 18-135mm in crop mode and I only need the photos for online use (website, email and social media).

Well, despite not getting any feedback on the 10-18 f/4 OSS lens, I decided to pull the trigger and buy one for my new A6400. I'm downsizing from the A7iii, the full-frame lenses were too big and too expensive for me. Now I'm going back down to an APS-C setup with the A6400, the 10-18 and the 18-135. I may add the 16-70 at some point too.

Well, despite not getting any feedback on the 10-18 f/4 OSS lens, I decided to pull the trigger and buy one for my new A6400. I'm downsizing from the A7iii, the full-frame lenses were too big and too expensive for me. Now I'm going back down to an APS-C setup with the A6400, the 10-18 and the 18-135. I may add the 16-70 at some point too.
    Interested on your take of the 10-18mm. I've casually looked for used ones for a while now. Currently exclusively using the 18-135mm.

Interested on your take of the 10-18mm. I've casually looked for used ones for a while now. Currently exclusively using the 18-135mm.
    I don’t have experience with that lens, but I gotta say for an ultra wide this Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 prime lens for $269 is great. I’m sure you could find it cheaper if you look around. You get almost as wide, super sharp, way faster, and manual focus. It’s pretty light and compact too. Can’t beat the price for fast glass.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hoping to get out this weekend and shoot a little bit... I'll update here when I get some time with the lens.