Best Alaska skiing situation in March?

Been before. Camped on Thompson Pass with sleds. Loved it. Skinned most of our vert. Heading back, haven't decided whether same spot or Haines? Going with the lady and a buddy or two. All strong skiers. Would love to get on a heli if the price wasn't too absurd. Open to anything that will get us a lot of vert/skiing. Birds/cats/??? Headed up 3rd week in March this year. Thanks in advance.
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

Check out SMG they’re flying out of Knik river lodge that time of year. You could also likely get a plane into somewhere awesome and camp and skin.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Check out SMG they’re flying out of Knik river lodge that time of year. You could also likely get a plane into somewhere awesome and camp and skin.
    Thank you Jed! I'll look into it!
    Follow me on Instagram

brett.mcnary

Haines with a couple days in Juneau. Ride lifts at Eaglecrest and hike out ridges, etc.

^^this^^

Eaglecrest is awesome. My friends run Alaska Powder Descents in Juneau. It’s reasonably priced heli skiing on the Juneau Icefield.

Juneau is nice, I lived there a few years. Eaglecrest is a fun hill if it has the snow. Girdwood is a fun town and Alyeska is usually still good in March, I know there are a lot of help/cat operations out of there. Hatcher pass is good for backcountry. Check out the Alaska Backcountry Ski Addiction group on Facebook, lots of good info.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

can you make a game time decision?

Cause that's what I'd do. I've flown with APD in Juneau, highly recommended, but Juneau in March could be amazing, could be raining... Same thing with Haines and really all of southeast. However heli time is generally way less expensive in southeast due to the absurd number of helicopters. Juneau does have a ski lift that often has amazing snow in March so there's that. I think Eaglecrest is the best ski area in Alaska, just because of the vibe, terrain and backcountry access. But again... global warming makes things hard.

Chances are though that the second week of march is going to be badass around Anchorage because I'm going to Mammoth.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care