Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Red Mtn Pass avalanche fatality

So sorry to hear about a fatality per CAIC Report.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6112.JPG 
Views:	488 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	263103

The hazard level changed from Considerable to Moderate after the temps rose lately.

A buddy was out today and noted:

“We were up cement creek today. Very funky unpredictable snow pack for sure. A lot of TG to the ground. Any aspects with a persistent slab are sketchy.....”

Sent via iPhone
    Slidewright.com
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-06-2019 at 04:24 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

The CAIC report has been updated with some details.
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...rep&acc_id=685

And the victim has been ID'd here:
    https://durangoherald.com/articles/257429

Sounds like a terrible situation. Reading the final report from this one will be very interesting.

RIP

That is absolutely horrible. It was an avy class that was caught as well.

All six members of the Avy Class were all caught in the slide (instructor included, I'd guess?) and the victim was buried under "at least 2.5m" of snow.

Horrible. Does anyone know what company was teaching the course or who the instructor was?

super sad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    All six members of the Avy Class were all caught in the slide (instructor included, I'd guess?) and the victim was buried under "at least 2.5m" of snow.

Horrible. Does anyone know what company was teaching the course or who the instructor was?

super sad situation.
    There aren't a ton of company with dates of classes on the 5th. Maybe two or three max. I am not going to name any names though. I am sure everyone is going through a rough time.

A friend of mine was in the class that was involved. He was in the other group, on the other side of the highway though. I have not spoken with him personally yet and don't have any further insight on what happened than has already been released publicly.

I wasn't going to name names, as I don't think it is productive to drag an organization or guide through the mud especially before the final report is released and we know all the details. But, the Durango Herald figured it out and is reporting it.
    https://durangoherald.com/articles/2...alanche-school

That is a definite downer.

But to learn about avalanches you need to go into avalanche terrain.

Vibes. This isn’t going to be good for business

So awful.

I took my level 1 in Silverton with them 20+ years ago.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sad on many levels indeed.

I took their level 1 class back in 2001 when I was living in Durango going to FLC.

A long time ago for sure, but for the experience that my buddy and myself got the classes, the field work off Red, and the guides & personnel were all top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    stay outta my line

So sad and scary.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

From Boulder BC Facebook:

"I generally stay away from Facebook posts and comments but in this case I am going to say something. I've known Pete since 2012 and he was my primary backcountry partner since 2014. I've spent a lot of time with him on skis and outside of skiing. He was a great man and he will be missed by a lot of people. We signed up for this class together along with another person to continue to learn and expand our knowledge. I was in the group and the next skier above Pete when it happened. 2 people were burried including Pete. One was able to unburry himself before we got down to Pete. When the report is released I think everyone will see there was thorough planning and risk management done before beforehand and during the day leading up to the accident. This will be used for future case studies for all levels of avalanche training. A lot of things were done right. Obviously not everything was accounted for in our decision making but this is not an example of gross mismanagement of terrian and decision making by the group or Silverton Avalanche School. This ended up being a very unpredictable event that could have ended with all of us dying. I do not study avalanches for a living but this was a very unique scenario and a tragic one. There's a lot to be learned from any accident and I hope people will use this as a learning opportunity going forward. There's nothing like skiing backcountry pow and we all choose to ski in the backcountry and understand the risks. I was very thankful we spent the prior 2 days testing our gear and practicing avalanche rescue. Never stop learning, never stop practicing, and never stop testing your gear. Every penny spent on learning new techniques is worth it. Hopefully you'll never need it but the day you do you'll be thankful."

Wow. First, my thoughts go out to friends & family of the deceased and all involved.

Second, it will be interesting to see the investigation and commentary. I have no personal connection but Silverton Avalanche School has a great reputation. I can't help but wonder what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So awful.

I took my level 1 in Silverton with them 20+ years ago.
    me too- probably 1993.

I was skiing up on Coal Bank pass on Saturday when that happened, not too far away- damn. I wonder what the group was doing at the time- just skiing, digging a pit or what?

My condolences to friends and family of Peter.

So sorry this happened and couldn't imagine something like that happening during an avalanche training course. Spatial variability is the name of the game. Hope those that witnessed and survived this slide are still willing to get out and see the magic of snow and remember their fallen brethren.

Of course the armchair quarterbacking is already starting on social media...no surprise, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    ... Of course the armchair quarterbacking is already starting on social media...no surprise, go figure.
    Apart from the tragedy itself, perhaps the most disturbing aspect of this ... uninformed experts throwing stones :-(

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    me too- probably 1993.

I was skiing up on Coal Bank pass on Saturday when that happened, not too far away- damn. I wonder what the group was doing at the time- just skiing, digging a pit or what?

My condolences to friends and family of Peter.
    This is such a bummer on so many levels. Sorry for those impacted. I hope this doesn't mar the great reputation and dedication of the school. I first took the Silverton course in 1989 and refresher 4 years ago.

For context, the map shows where the Image1 was approximately shot from with Senator Beck, hard right (I think). Can you confirm, Smelly? The green route is ours from last year. Image2 was from the refresher course looking west, NW.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 6.50.35 AM.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	263425

Name:	IMG_4751.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	263367

Name:	IMG_1618.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	263368
    Last edited by Alpinord; 01-08-2019 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Corrected route
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Beautiful and complex terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Can you confirm, Smelly?
    Seems right although I don't really know. Good running into you yesterday

Brutal and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    Beautiful and complex terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Brutal and sad.
    Exactly. Such a bummer.

I took an Avy 2 at Silverton and a friend/colleague currently works for the school. No words really.

I took two L2s from them years back. One field day in that zone. It is a great zone for obs and route finding.
    Tragic this accident... nor the first time there has been an avalanche class fatality in the state of CO.
    I will be interested in the report.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

awful news. the teacher must be absolutely reeling right now.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    nor the first time there has been an avalanche class fatality in the state of CO.
    I will be interested in the report.
    there was the one in Aspen a few years back, right? Have there been others?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    there was the one in Aspen a few years back, right? Have there been others?
    That is the one I know off the top of my head
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.