Cheap Kid Bikes?

I need to get my kids going with bikes.

[long story]
    Their bikes are at their mom's house which, as I found out last summer, is apparently a black hole. They won't ride them for a bit, since it's January, but my dad bought them hoverboards for christmas and their mom said they weren't allowed to have them. When I politely explained that she doesn't get to control that at my house, she told the kids that they were grounded if she found out that they used them. Their best idea was to just lie about it to their mom; when I shot that down they decided they'd rather just turn them into bikes than push the issue. I'd have gotten them bikes anyways closer to spring, but that's a long time to wait for their christmas present. They want them now.
    [/long story]

So... Budget is about $200 each; seems firmly in garbage bike territory? Anything worth buying in that range? They aren't ripping a ton of singletrack but I'll take them into some of the smooth buff stuff that's rideable from my house. Mostly streets and paved/gravel bike paths. Just an 8, 12, and 13 year old who want to ride their bikes around. I'd like something utilitarian that's fairly durable/simple and doesn't weigh 40lbs each.
    focus.

Some of the Diamondback and rei house brand, Co-Op Cycles, might be up your alley for them. They can be a solid deal if you can track some down on sale, or for DB know someone with an experticity account. It might be kinda tricky to hit that price point with out going the Fred Meyer/ Walmart route. Plz don’t support those stores selling bicycles.

What about bmx bikes? You could always get some that have front brakes or add them.

I'd reccommend a BMX like BlueBison. Look at custom s&m or standards in your area on Craigslist, should be able to pick up a good build pretty cheap.

Seems like you could get a lot more bike used; how would your kids feel about that?
    BTW--seems like you have good grounds to reopen the custody issue.

Def talk to Matt, they have some kind of program re:kids bikes....no idea what the details are but take a look just in case it’s workable

My daughter just graduated from a Trek MT220. 24” wheels. PM me if interested.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6898.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	263093

i'm doing a similar search right now. performance had some stuff on sale since they were going out of business but i wasn't sold since the discounts weren't that great. plus, i don't know shit about bikes.

New for $200 is going to be hard to hit for a non-Walmart bike, but sub-$300 is pretty doable.

Raleigh makes some nice bikes that are close to your price target. Check out the Rowdy 20/24: https://www.raleighusa.com/kids

ChainReaction has some good sales going right now even when shipping is factored in:
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod173867?mx=a
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rod173868?mx=a

Kinda need to know how tall the kids are. The 8 y.o. could need a 20 or 24, and the 12 and 13 y.o.'s might need 26 or even be ready for 27.5.

Watch local classifieds like a hawk. Local MTB groups can also be good sources for used kids bikes.

Also, it might be worth stopping into some local bike shops. Post-Xmas mid-winter isn't a big sales time for bikes, so they might be willing to work with you on price a bit, especially since you're buying three.

I have a sweet practically new Scott Scale 24+ for sale $250 plus shipping if interested. I’m in central CO and get to the front range monthly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0645.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	644.0 KB 
ID:	263328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	263329

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    I have a sweet practically new Scott Scale 24+ for sale $250 plus shipping if interested. I’m in central CO and get to the front range monthly.Click image for larger version. 

i was going to come on to say buy used for sure (craigslist, swap) but this deal is fantastic. Buy this used one. Then look for another used one.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post

I am very interested. I’m in the Midwest. Can you ship?
    focus.

26 inch bikes for the 12 and 13 year old for sure. Or just bmx bikes if they all want BMX bikes.
    At first really the key to a good time is something that doesn't break every ride and doesn't weigh a ton more than their friends bikes. If everyone has gears and is climbing hills than that is the way to go. BMX bikes are super fun and simple if you aren't getting left behind.
    Do you have a LBS that sells used bikes? Ours does and I'd probably spend a little over budget if my kid can stop by for free repairs and help fixing their own bike. If the LBS guy is a crab to kids or nickle and dimes everything then I'd probably just search the classifieds and do the used cro-mo steel bike thing. Back when i was way into mountain biking a lot of people bought 26 inch bikes to last their whole lifetime and I think a most of those bikes are just sitting in garages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I am very interested. I’m in the Midwest. Can you ship?
    Possibly, our local shipping place just closed, so let me see if the bike shop here would ship.

Where in the Midwest so I can get a quote, zip code would be perfect.

If this deal doesn't pan out I'm in the front range and would be interested if the OP doesn't end up purchasing.

Craigslist is your friend. Plenty of guys out there who buy cheap (stolen?) bikes and fix them up before selling them cheap. I've bought several for my kids over the years and I use them almost like they're disposable. If one really breaks badly we toss it and get another one. Ain't none of my kids riding the tour de France anytime soon so we don't need carbon frames or hydro brakes. Just need to cruise the local tails and ride to school when the weather permits.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    If this deal doesn't pan out I'm in the front range and would be interested if the OP doesn't end up purchasing.
    You are next in line

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1324.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	252.7 KB 
ID:	282350

Killin’ it.
    focus.

CRAIGSLIST!
    So many shops have swaps this time of year