Page 98 of 241 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 6017
    Anyone heard any recent rumblings about a PB&Death type ski? Been having a lot of fun on PB&Js as an everyday firm snow ski and curious to try the magic of the triple camber and the DW flex, but 112 underfoot is a bit more than I'm looking for in a daily ski (especially since it doesn't seem to snow in CO anymore). I know they've made a few of these in the past and were offering a potential group buy about a year ago, but haven't heard much since then. Apologies if this has been discussed recently and I'm just really bad at searching - I haven't been following this thread super closely
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Sounds like I should’ve gone with a DW over my 184 Bibbys from a few years back. I just haven’t gotten along with them as well as I’d hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Anyone heard any recent rumblings about a PB&Death type ski? Been having a lot of fun on PB&Js as an everyday firm snow ski and curious to try the magic of the triple camber and the DW flex, but 112 underfoot is a bit more than I'm looking for in a daily ski (especially since it doesn't seem to snow in CO anymore). I know they've made a few of these in the past and were offering a potential group buy about a year ago, but haven't heard much since then. Apologies if this has been discussed recently and I'm just really bad at searching - I haven't been following this thread super closely
    I ended up with some 182 pb&deaths that are waiting on aaattack demos. Happy to loan them out for a few runs at LL late season after I'm cleared to ski!

Sent from my SM-G988U using TGR Forums mobile app

Finally got a pair of Wildcat 108's and got my first day on them. I just instantly got along with them. Perfect for playing all over the mountain. They are fun on groomers, fun in the air, fun going fast. I do wish they were a bit heavier damper in the middle, but overall I can't complain. I want to add a charger to the mix and I'm strongly looking at the Moment Commander.

I'm almost wondering if I'd most like a Wildcat 101, Commander 108, and then Wildcat (116). Then add a Wildcat Tour 108 for midwinter touring....okay enough rabbit holing.

Name:  201CF2A2-6A17-42CC-98C2-8269EE2F5A30.jpeg
Views: 1590
Size:  169.3 KB

CMD98

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEF32D2F-1DF9-4E00-A319-F854067F7D82.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	358861

CMD98 again, out playing hard today. Upcoming ExoticSkis.com review shortly.

How is the DW/Shift setup in bounds? I have been thinking about it as a daily setup, which could or count not include some fast, charging type of skiing all over the country. 188 PB&Js for playful days and some east coast days, then have 190 Bibbys for actual powder days. Some thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    New Deathwishes got mounted today with Shifts. They'll be a resort and side country ski. Here they are next to my DWTs.

I'm so stoked to ski them.

Attachment 358103
    How is the DW/Shift setup in bounds? I have been thinking about it as a daily setup, which could or count not include some fast, charging type of skiing all over the country. 188 PB&Js for playful days and some east coast days, then have 190 Bibbys for actual powder days. Some thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Finally got a pair of Wildcat 108's and got my first day on them. I just instantly got along with them. Perfect for playing all over the mountain. They are fun on groomers, fun in the air, fun going fast. I do wish they were a bit heavier damper in the middle, but overall I can't complain. I want to add a charger to the mix and I'm strongly looking at the Moment Commander.

I'm almost wondering if I'd most like a Wildcat 101, Commander 108, and then Wildcat (116). Then add a Wildcat Tour 108 for midwinter touring....okay enough rabbit holing.
    I have the WC108 and 101. I frankly don’t see any benefit to the 101. 108 has a bit more heft to it, which to me results in only benefits. 101 is too light imh and doesn’t have the same stability or dampness of the 108 and is not as good on groomers. Could use a different construction. Just one persons opinion!

Have both in 190.

Moment Skis Discussion

Working mini review of the 182 2020-21 frankenski.

This thing is not a tank. It needs a precise centered stance (probably true of most center mounted skis) and kind of a light touch. With both of those pieces of input, they are fun.

Definitely a speed limit on groomers.
    I’ve logged so many days on billy goats, I’m used to mashing at the tips and bossing heavy skis around. Tip pressure on these causes some washout pretty readily at the rear camber pocket. I was hoping the triple camber would be enough to prevent that, but I think the tune that is appropriate for park work leaves the edge underfoot just a little too dull to get good groomer behavior at high speed.

I am going to sharpen them a little bit and report back.

Soft tips and tails are a trip. They load pretty well. Super light, so they behave well in the air. Easy to get a good pop off jumps and lips. Switch is fun. Really conducive to logging those switch reps on groomers.

I think if I wanted to rip groomers at uncomfortable speed but feel comfortable with something that is park capable, the ride is the wildcat 101/PBJ.

For a park specialty tool, the frankenski is great. Not perfect, but damn good. I honestly think I’m asking for an unreasonable amount of versatility from a center mounted soft ski expecting it to feel stable at top speed.

Given how much I like my deathwish and deathwish tours, I think the cold dead hands skinny ski ride for me is a pbdeath/deathcat 101 - a wildcat 101 shape with compound camber.

Maybe mount at roughly +0.7219 cm of the line.

@melee, is this a $1400 ski? Or is another pbdeath run possibly in the cards?

Back to the frankenski - still unlocking more of the magic. I’ll give the design this - a flat spot underfoot makes spinning on snow super easy...which means I’m having an easier time transitioning to switch and back and the “360” I landed (read more like a 290) was easily salvaged where previously I likely would have wiped out big and I wouldn’t have ridden away on my skis like nothing happened. So that feature is $$$

Looking forward to my next park/firm day on them.
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 01-23-2021 at 09:23 PM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I think if I wanted to rip groomers at uncomfortable speed but feel comfortable with something that is park capable, the ride is the wildcat 101/PBJ.
    After 2 weeks on the 19/20 PBJ skiing all types of terrain I can attest to this, but it's also so much more. They're super similar to the WC 101 so I guess I'll post some quick thoughts for those interested

Bottom line unless there's enough new snow for it to be Bibby time I no longer think twice about which ski to take

Skied primarily at Ajax and Highlands, no new snow for like a month up until we got ~5" this past weekend. I'm 6'2, 175, and on the 188 mounted on the line

As long as there's not significant ice these things rail groomers impressively well. I'm a former racer and get little kid joy from getting low on groomers and these totally allow you to do that. If you straightline groomers the rocker and tight sidecut underfoot causes a bit of speed wobbles, but you're also straighlining groomers so that's what you get. If you keep em on edge there're no problems

Lots of deep dedicated mogul runs all over right now and these ski like a 188cm forward mounted ski aka a lot of tail. You can get pretty nice zipper lines until the bumps start to get really deep and small, especially on steeper terrain, so it can sometimes be tough to dump speed, but these are stiff and poppy enough that often you can just say fuck it and straightline out the end of the run while playing tiny wings on every 2nd or 3rd bump. I usually get bored on bumpy runs and point it out of them as soon as I see a manageable line, and these haven't made me regret that (yet)

My ONLY gripe is occasionally the tips get grabby at high speeds in chalky snow in steep terrain. So any ski would feel a bit grabby there but I find the amount of sidecut underfoot coupled with the amount of tip rocker and a lot of tail can cause the tips to catch hard sometimes when coming in hot to a steep bumpy section and having to dump speed sideways while keeping my body headed down the fall line. Adjusting to a more neutral stance helps a lot which is the magic of this shape - they can be skied super forward or neutral - but it has me even more interested in a PB&Death or a Deathcat 101 etc

They handle 10-15' drops onto very firm landings super well. I found staying forward helps a lot so you're not popping wheelies on the runout due to lots of tail. Never felt like they've had a speed limit on runouts. Havent had soft enough snow or enough coverage to hit anything bigger yet though

I'm not a park guy but due to lack of snow the past month has been all about side hits and jumping off everything. These are super fun in the air due to the forward mount and spin nicely with the low swing weight. A good amount of pop on the tails (not the poppiest skis I've ridden) but stable enough to handle hot landings. I also learned how to nose butter 3 off cat tracks on these so that was cool
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Found a used pair of 11/12 Bibby's. Very excited as its my first time on these skis. Already drilled for my bsl and binding (Pivot 18) at 12mm behind the line. There are other holes drilled preventing me from remounting on the line. Any major issues with this ski 12mm behind the line? Or should I figure out a way to get them mounted on the line?

I found Bibbys/Wildcats to work best for me at +1 from recommended. IMO -5cm from true center is a sweet spot for being playful yet able to drive the tips

Quote Originally Posted by KM14 View Post
    Found a used pair of 11/12 Bibby's. Very excited as its my first time on these skis. Already drilled for my bsl and binding (Pivot 18) at 12mm behind the line. There are other holes drilled preventing me from remounting on the line. Any major issues with this ski 12mm behind the line? Or should I figure out a way to get them mounted on the line?
    I ski mine at -1.5cm for the same reason (hole conflict), no issues...
    You can usually get an Attack Demo to mount on anything w/o conflict if you really want to experiment with the mount point.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KM14 View Post
    I'm on a 12/13, 190 Bibby mounted on the line and they're so quick everywhere, steep and deep, chopped up heavy snow, groomed. The recommended boot center is -6 and I wouldn't want to be further forward, but I'm a more directional skier, no flips or spins.

Thanks. Ill try em out with the predilled holes. Sounds like I should be ok there.

Moment Skis Discussion

Anybody have a pair of Hot Mess’s for sale in a 162?

Message me if you do. My girlfriend is not getting along with her current ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Anybody have a pair of Hot Mess’s for sale in a 162?

Message me if you do. My girlfriend is not getting along with her current ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Don't discount the Sierra, my wife loves hers...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

So I have a few more powder days on my 190 Wildcats and man they're just so good. Quick, playful, but you can still charge through choppy runouts. Just as comfortable in tight trees as they are in wide open bowls. About as versatile as a powder ski can get. I should have hopped on the Bibby train sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Quick, playful, but you can still charge through choppy runouts. Just as comfortable in tight trees as they are in wide open bowls.
    This is exactly how I feel about my OG

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    So I have a few more powder days on my 190 Wildcats and man they're just so good. Quick, playful, but you can still charge through choppy runouts. Just as comfortable in tight trees as they are in wide open bowls. About as versatile as a powder ski can get. I should have hopped on the Bibby train sooner.
    Current model?

I just sold my backup 190 Bibbys and already have a tinge of seller's remorse. The pair I have in active rotation is in pretty good shape still, but they're so damn dialed and the lightening of the more recent ones (before they bulked up again for this year) makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Current model?

I just sold my backup 190 Bibbys and already have a tinge of seller's remorse. The pair I have in active rotation is in pretty good shape still, but they're so damn dialed and the lightening of the more recent ones (before they bulked up again for this year) makes me nervous.
    The new bulked up version skis similar to the old heavy version. I might even like the new one more. They weigh 2300g which isn't far off the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The new bulked up version skis similar to the old heavy version. I might even like the new one more. They weigh 2300g which isn't far off the old one.
    Thrilled to hear that. That's right around what my pair weigh. What do you think the new ones do better?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Thrilled to hear that. That's right around what my pair weigh. What do you think the new ones do better?
    They just have a more refined feel to them, they feel stronger on edge and the swing weight is a bit lower without taking anything away from the stability. Still very much the same ski though.

They just in general have a better build quality.
    My old pair is 2012s so the boys at Moment have obviously improved their construction techniques a lot since then.

Anybody have a chattery carving sensation on hard pack with the triple camber? Asking for a friend...