Page 28 of 241 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgovernor View Post
    Just got a pair of 184cm Wildcats. So fucking excited
    First post, great handle

Quote Originally Posted by mcgovernor View Post
    Just got a pair of 184cm Wildcats. So fucking excited
    Right Behind you. Got to have them. After spending this past season on Commander 108s, I have to have a pair of Cats for deeper days. Stiked

Hard to believe back in the day I thought a ski was a ski. First week on the Moments and it was done.

Luke - any idea if the guys at Blister will be/have been on the updated PB&J? I think Jonathan mentioned on the podcast you guys did that he thought it was probably time to get on that ski again and update the review. Thinking about updating the skinnier side of my quiver and those new graphics look incredible

(love the annual podcasts you do with the Blister guys btw - please keep it up)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Luke - any idea if the guys at Blister will be/have been on the updated PB&J? I think Jonathan mentioned on the podcast you guys did that he thought it was probably time to get on that ski again and update the review. Thinking about updating the skinnier side of my quiver and those new graphics look incredible

(love the annual podcasts you do with the Blister guys btw - please keep it up)

Thanks
    We definitely need to and want to send a ton of skis to Blister for review. We intended to last season but honestly we couldn't keep skis in stock to begin with so we never had anything to send them.

Year to date 2019 we have produced twice as many skis as YTD 2018 so that shouldn't be an issue.

So in the next month or two we will be sending Blister skis but it will probably take them awhile to review everything...

The PB&J got some slight tweaks for 19/20 most notably dual radius sidecut. It's essentially a skinny Wildcat that is a lot quicker, similar flex and exact same rocker/camber profile. Definitely a staple in our line up.

Went to the factory yesterday and it was full on buzzing with activity...

Melee was cracking the whip on slackers and skis are being pumped out faster than Trump's tweets.

Taking the new 190 Deathwish with the new ash stringer layup to kiwi land this month and will report back how they compared to last year's model.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Taking the new 190 Deathwish with the new ash stringer layup to kiwi land this month and will report back how they compared to last year's model.
    Thoroughly looking forward to reading it!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I’ve been a little confused, correct me if I’m wrong.

18’ and prior deathwish’s had a slightly softer flex
    19’ deathwish gets stiffer
    20’ deathwish stiffer and heavier?

I believe that the update for 19 only impacted the 190s. As I 190dw skiier I was stoked and can't wait to hear more about the 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    20’ deathwish stiffer and heavier?
    I thought he said increased weight and damping. Do the ash stringers affect stiffness, too?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	363D5EBC-9777-404F-8BBC-4117ABAA05AB.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	290047

Factory shot of my unfinished DW w OG Bibby graphic.

#WinterIsComing

New 190 Deathwish are ready to get funky...

Name:  DW_2020_1a.jpeg
Views: 2249
Size:  165.9 KB

Name:  DW_2020_2a.jpeg
Views: 1766
Size:  433.9 KB

I like the topsheet.

Anyone have experience with G3 skins and Meridians (non-Tour version)? I’m thinking the G3 tip attachment will work with the slanted tips but hard to find any definitive proof.

Also, am I correct in assuming the standard BD tip loops won’t be big enough for the Meridians (meaning I’d have to get the oversized tip loops separately)?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Recently ordered a pair of Volkl Mantra 102's after demoing last spring, and looking to add a powder ski to my two-ski quiver (unfortunately, I have to fly to ski). I also tried the Volkl Mantra 5, which I also loved, but ultimately pre-ordered the 102's for versatility. Since I plan my trips way in advance, I am reticent to order a full powder ski.

Am considering adding either the Wildcat 108, Wildcat, or Deathwish. I am leaning towards the Wildcat 108, but mildly concerned that I may have too much overlap (am I overthinking this?). I normally ski a mix of resort groomers with friends / family but like to do some side- or back-country when I am by myself. Usually get 10-20 days a year, this year in Telluride, Crested Butte, and J Hole. Versatility is key for me, since I never know what kind of conditions I will be walking into.

Looking for something less directional, more fun.

Appreciate any guidance.

If you're looking for a ski to compliment your Mantra 102 as an actual powder ski then the choice is obvious: Wildcat (not the 108.)

If you're looking for a ski to be the only ski you take out west, then the 108 or the Deathwish, your choice. Be interested in hearing Melee's opinion of the flex difference between the two at this point -- historically the Deathwish was a bit softer than the Bibby/PBJ, but Deathwish has gotten stiffer. It certainly has less taper and funky camber. Both are fun skis.

I assume when you say side- and backcountry you mean off the groomers. Not actual backcountry. Because skiing backcountry in any of those places solo without gear and a ton of local knowledge is dumb AF.

Correct. I grew up in Whistler, and I try to make a trip back every couple years and (actually) ski with friends - with appropriate gear, of course. When I have done so previously, I've typically rented. But unless I make the trip up north, I am usually limited to on-resort, off-groomer skiing - although, when I am in Telluride, I plan to ski a couple days at Silverton, and when I am in J Hole (with friends), a few of us may hire a guide.

I'm a confident skier, and used to race when I was in school. I'm in my 30s now, just getting back into skiing for the third yeard after about a decade break (never should have went to school in TN), and I don't want to be held back if I get lucky and land a powder day. Plus, the Mantras rip but are not what I would call playful.

I guess I am a little concerned that the Wildcat may be overkill for me - however, it appears, based on what I've read, that people use them in all sorts of conditions.

If you’re planning on touring on this ski then I’d say go 108. If you’re using this as a pow and leftover ski then the Wildcat is a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    If you're looking for a ski to compliment your Mantra 102 as an actual powder ski then the choice is obvious: Wildcat (not the 108.)

If you're looking for a ski to be the only ski you take out west, then the 108 or the Deathwish, your choice. Be interested in hearing Melee's opinion of the flex difference between the two at this point -- historically the Deathwish was a bit softer than the Bibby/PBJ, but Deathwish has gotten stiffer. It certainly has less taper and funky camber. Both are fun skis.

I assume when you say side- and backcountry you mean off the groomers. Not actual backcountry. Because skiing backcountry in any of those places solo without gear and a ton of local knowledge is dumb AF.
    Also curious how the new Deathwish flex compares to the Wildcat, and what the weights are now that they added Ash to the core (which i am VERY happy to see them doing across the line).

FYI, Deathwish 190 effective edge = 1518mm. Wildcat 190 effective edge = 1560mm. Deathwish has more taper than Wildcat, which makes a difference.

Thanks for the help, guys. Now, to mull over the 184 or 190 length. (Leaning towards the 184, at this length).

Gear sure has changed a lot since my skiing prime.

Presumably you’ve read it, but if not, the latest blister review of the wildcat has a ton of discussion on the 184 v 190 question

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post

19/20 Collection is now live.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Is it winter yet?
    After reading blister review on DW Tour I was wondering if you guys changed overall ski lengths? Usually they were 2-3 cm shorter than stated if measuring with straight tape pull. But I see new DW Tour is actual 183.4 at 184 length even with skin clip cut?

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    FYI, Deathwish 190 effective edge = 1518mm. Wildcat 190 effective edge = 1560mm. Deathwish has more taper than Wildcat, which makes a difference.
    I'm not sure how Moment calculates effective edge (rocker profiles? widest points? length of taper?) -- but looking at the 184 of both in my garage, the Deathwish def has less than my Bibby. But both are old vintages (circa 2013/4) though. Not sure if those shapes ever got slight changes.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    After reading blister review on DW Tour I was wondering if you guys changed overall ski lengths? Usually they were 2-3 cm shorter than stated if measuring with straight tape pull. But I see new DW Tour is actual 183.4 at 184 length even with skin clip cut?
    Tour sizing is a little funny because of the the fishtail.

The Deathwish Tour and Deathwish have the exact same rocker profile, effective edge, etc. If you measure the Deathwish base material flat its 184cm, the Deathwith Tour 184 will be about a cm shorter. That fishtail material is removed from the 184cm length but does effect any of the key ski geometry, so in our minds, its still a 184cm.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm not sure how Moment calculates effective edge (rocker profiles? widest points? length of taper?) -- but looking at the 184 of both in my garage, the Deathwish def has less than my Bibby. But both are old vintages (circa 2013/4) though. Not sure if those shapes ever got slight changes.
    Both of those skis have seen changes over the years. There was a couple seasons where the Bibby had quite a bit less effective edge than the OG version and what is now present on the Wildcat.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    Presumably you’ve read it, but if not, the latest blister review of the wildcat has a ton of discussion on the 184 v 190 question
    Certainly did - and it was a solid review.

Really, it is a question of which one I want to go for - both have pros and cons. I'm about 5'10"-5'11" and 170-180 lbs, so 184 probably makes more sense for me, given my weight and height.