Page 94 of 241 FirstFirst ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 6023
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I own a pair of 2015 pb&js, anyone know how different the wildcat 101 is? Just curious if it is basically the same ski or if there is some new stuff going on.
    Had a pair of 2015 PB&Js along with 2018 Bibbys that were swapped for 2021 118mm Wildcats due to updates they did this year on them which the Wildcat 101 also received.

The PB&Js in 2015 were fairly heavy as they didn’t have semi-cap tips/tails or use fiberglass impregnated with carbon fibre yet. Last 2 years of PB&J had the semi cap tip/tails and carbon infused fiberglass like they did in the Wildcat line making them lighter and more durable but a little less damp.

Wildcat 101 improves the latest PB&J by adding faster, harder graphite race bases along with a slightly tweaked profile for longer effective edge and a heavier wood core to bring back the overall weight to 2015 levels. Now available in more sizes too including a 179cm, 184cm and 190cm.

Wildcat 101 should improve glide speed, swing weight, float, edge grip and durability vs your 2015 versions yet be just a damp. So an improved but similar PB&J.

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    Sorry should have asked you what spot in your quiver you want either of these to fill.
    Nah, you told me what I needed to know. I have a couple of 124s in the quiver already, once I try them out I'll see if I want something wider. The Commander seems more similar to the skis I have while the Comi is obviously getting into the realm of the impractical for a resort. The primary anticipated use case of all these things is cat skiing which may not be happening this year unfortunately.

Ok I sent it. Raw 95s and Commander 98s in bound. I'm ready to find out I'm not a good enough skier for these

Ordered the bindings from ON3P and the Skis from Moment. They both shipped within 20 minutes of each other. It's a race.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    Ok I sent it. Raw 95s and Commander 98s in bound. I'm ready to find out I'm not a good enough skier for these

Ordered the bindings from ON3P and the Skis from Moment. They both shipped within 20 minutes of each other. It's a race.
    Yes!!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post

Yes! Yes!

I had mine out today (176 / STH2) WOW! These are a very different beast. Here’s my tip for narrow East Coast, I detuned the shovels down to the “E” - I have found this lets em rip at stupid fast speeds & not catch. At the same time, you can more easily close the radius of your tighter turns by setting up an early angle & jamming the skis through the turn.

Thanks for the tuning tips. I never ski raced or took formal lesson past middle school so i'm itching to really learn to lay a deep carve.

Can't wait to learn better bump skiing on a long 182 metal ski

The kartel 108 is always there for slush bumps.

You guys mounting these at 8? I know 6 was the old place, but Moment seems pretty serious about the 10.

Moment Skis Discussion

I mounted mine on recommended line/logo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1609475592.711640.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	355802

And I do listen to Slayer.....

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    I mounted mine on recommended line/logo...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1609475592.711640.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	355802

And I do listen to Slayer.....
    Going on the line for my CMD 108 in 194z.....

Looking for a do-it-all touring ski that'll give confidence in sketch terrain but still float enough for all year touring. Other great attributes would be playful and have enough backbone for 15-20' drops. I'm thinking deathwish, maybe WC 108? Thoughts? I live in northern ID (heavier snow).

Other question I have is should I go tour or regular layup? I'm 6'3, 205lbs. I'm worried a tour layup wont have enough backbone for the drops at my height/weight. I currently am on a 193 veneer MVP with shifts (~2170 grams per ski, I plan on getting lighter binders too) and looking to shed some weight but not go crazy light. Also this setup would be used for sidecountry at the resort so I don't want to hate my life if I end up doing a half day in the resort. Edit: Priority is touring, just don't want something too crazy light

Current in-bounds skis: Jeff 108 and Protest
    Last edited by brundo; 01-05-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Looking for a do-it-all touring ski that'll give confidence in sketch terrain but still float enough for all year touring. Other great attributes would be playful and have enough backbone for 15-20' drops. I'm thinking deathwish, maybe WC 108? Thoughts? I live in northern ID (heavier snow).

Other question I have is should I go tour or regular layup? I'm 6'3, 205lbs. I'm worried a tour layup wont have enough backbone for the drops at my height/weight. I currently am on a 193 veneer MVP with shifts (~2170 grams per ski, I plan on getting lighter binders too) and looking to shed some weight but not go crazy light. Also this setup would be used for sidecountry at the resort so I don't want to hate my life if I end up doing a half day in the resort.

IMO, a do it all touring ski for all year touring, and a ski used for sidecountry and half day at the resort are two different skis. But if thats what you are looking for, I would definitely lean towards the sidecountry ski and get an inbounds layup. Deathwish 190 is the easy answer, and not that heavy for an inbounds layup at about 2100 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    IMO, a do it all touring ski for all year touring, and a ski used for sidecountry and half day at the resort are two different skis. But if thats what you are looking for, I would definitely lean towards the sidecountry ski and get an inbounds layup. Deathwish 190 is the easy answer, and not that heavy for an inbounds layup at about 2100 grams.
    Yep. My "mostly resort, some sidecountry" skis are 190 Bibbys and 186 OG Renegades, both of which are 2300g + per ski flat, with CAST on both. And then I have real touring skis.

Other question I have is should I go tour or regular layup? I'm 6'3, 205lbs. I'm worried a tour layup wont have enough backbone for the drops at my height/weight. I currently am on a 193 veneer MVP with shifts (~2170 grams per ski, I plan on getting lighter binders too) and looking to shed some weight but not go crazy light. Also this setup would be used for sidecountry at the resort so I don't want to hate my life if I end up doing a half day in the resort. Edit: Priority is touring, just don't want something too crazy light

Deathwish Tour if you're going touring specific.

Do it all inbounds and touring in one ski go standard DW

Quote Originally Posted by Sargentdrufus View Post
    Deathwish Tour if you're going touring specific.

Do it all inbounds and touring in one ski go standard DW
    This, plus Voyagers for touring, or Tectons for inbounds.

Seems like DW>WC108 is the consensus. To be clear, I'm looking for a touring ski that can survive in the resort. Seems like tour core is the answer. But then again maybe I do regular core with a lighter binding. Hmm decisions decisions. Thanks for the inputs

Yeah, CAST is a great idea but I have 9523 rubbers soles on my touring boots which technically CAST isn't compatible. Might try the lindahl franken binding though

...To be clear, I'm looking for a touring ski that can survive in the resort. Seems like tour core is the answer...
    In that case, WCT108. They handle firm resort conditions vastly better than the DWTs in my experience. More camber, a bit stiffer underfoot, etc.
    They’re robust enough that I could actually see daily driving them as full time resort skis, and know a few patrollers actually doing so.

Why are people saying DWT>WCT108? I'm sure its been discussed but I didn't find it after scrolling for a while. I talked to moment and they recommended the WCT 108 because it'll do better in the icy chutes while also being more playful with the deeper rocker points. Kinda surprised they didn't say DW on icy chutes with the triple camber

Why are people saying DWT>WCT108? I'm sure its been discussed but I didn't find it after scrolling for a while. I talked to moment and they recommended the WCT 108 because it'll do better in the icy chutes while also being more playful with the deeper rocker points. Kinda surprised they didn't say DW on icy chutes with the triple camber
    I would select neither of those options for icy chutes, but that’s just me.
    The one ski touring quiver is a pretty big ask. I don’t know of too many skis that excel in pow and on hard steeps. Decide where you want to compromise/optimize and pick your ski accordingly.
    My take on Moment’s current touring line up is that they are all soft snow biased skis with less compromise as you go from narrow to wide. If you’re truly interested in steep firm performance there are probably better options out there, but they will definitely give up soft snow performance.
    I’d love to see Moment make touring versions of the Commanders so that we had skis biased more towards firm snow performance to add to the mix. A light Commander 108 could be a legitimate one ski touring quiver that would compete with the likes of the Blizzard 0G 105 etc, but have a more progressive mount point etc. I’ve already harassed Luke about this. It’s somebody else’s turn.
    My ramblings are based on lots of days on og 190 Bibbys and a few seasons spent touring on og 190 Deathwishes. YMMV.

Wasn’t the original Commander pretty light as it was?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

My personal experience is that Wildcat 108 Tours do shockingly well in firm conditions. Like better than should be physically possible at their weight. I even know a guy who has Pivots on 190cm WCT108s as his only skis, and he rips the shit out of those things in any and all conditions.
    Last edited by MegaStoke; 01-05-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I've owned 190 Bibbys, 190 Exit World (touring layup, Bibby shape), 190 Deathwishes, and 190 Wildcat 108 Tours. And 188 PB&Js.

Since you have the Jeff for an inbounds daily and the Protest for inbounds pow, I'd go touring layup.

I really like the W108 Tours. Quite versatile. Yes, a flat tail would be better in steep, icy chutes, but functionally speaking I've been fine with the rockered tail. And that tail makes them quite surfy and fun in anything soft.

The W108T has a much more traditional feel than the DW. I haven't skied the DWTs, but (and many will disagree) I find the DW camber profile a little unnerving on anything with variably-textured snow, due to the triple camber. While more "versatile", I find them to be slightly less predictable. And, on a touring ski, that does have a premium. That said, WCT108s ski pow great for their waist width. Haven't had enough time on hardpark to comment on that. Selling my Backland 107s since I like the Moments better. No surprise there.

When I picked up the WCT108s, the shop guy told me the new Commander 108 started its design as a touring ski ... with metal in the layup (!!!!). But, they liked it so much that they tried the regular core, and BOOM, the new C108 was born. The C108 Tour was shelved for a bit as a result.

Last year's Commander 108 was pretty darn light and would make a great touring ski, as johnnyg mentioned.

For reference, my touring quiver is now:
    Helio 95, Alpinists - big days
    WCT 108, Voyager 14 - daily
    Rustler 11 (SHIFT) - sidecountry
    Protests, Kingpins - BIG days
    sproing!

Anyone had time on both the Meridians and Commander 108s? I'm on 187cm Meridians now, and would be interested to hear how much more less maneuverable the 182cm C108s are, if that is indeed the case. Being able to change direction and scrub speed easily is integral to my cowardly skiing style.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I've owned 190 Bibbys, 190 Exit World (touring layup, Bibby shape), 190 Deathwishes, and 190 Wildcat 108 Tours. And 188 PB&Js.

Since you have the Jeff for an inbounds daily and the Protest for inbounds pow, I'd go touring layup.

I really like the W108 Tours. Quite versatile. Yes, a flat tail would be better in steep, icy chutes, but functionally speaking I've been fine with the rockered tail. And that tail makes them quite surfy and fun in anything soft.

The W108T has a much more traditional feel than the DW. I haven't skied the DWTs, but (and many will disagree) I find the DW camber profile a little unnerving on anything with variably-textured snow, due to the triple camber. While more "versatile", I find them to be slightly less predictable. And, on a touring ski, that does have a premium. That said, WCT108s ski pow great for their waist width. Haven't had enough time on hardpark to comment on that. Selling my Backland 107s since I like the Moments better. No surprise there.

When I picked up the WCT108s, the shop guy told me the new Commander 108 started its design as a touring ski ... with metal in the layup (!!!!). But, they liked it so much that they tried the regular core, and BOOM, the new C108 was born. The C108 Tour was shelved for a bit as a result.

Last year's Commander 108 was pretty darn light and would make a great touring ski, as johnnyg mentioned.

For reference, my touring quiver is now:
    Helio 95, Alpinists - big days
    WCT 108, Voyager 14 - daily
    Rustler 11 (SHIFT) - sidecountry
    Protests, Kingpins - BIG days
    Thanks for the insight. And I completely agree that predictable is a very big priority in a touring ski when you're edging your way across a no fall zone. Plus I seem to get along well with skis with fairly rockered tails so I'd be hesitant to go with a flatter tail anyway. Looks like the WCT 108 could be money.

This was Moment's canned answer when I asked about DW vs WC108. I'm sure they get asked this a ton so I figured I'd share if someone else was debating:

"The Deathwish being slightly wider is going to float better in deeper snow but be a little slower edge to edge when carving hardpack. The Wildcat 108, being narrower is quicker edge to edge when carving but won't float as well. Deeper rocker lines in the Wildcat will make it pivot slightly easier in tight spaces whereas the Triple Camber in the Deathwish make it feel a bit more planted. Triple Camber also allows for 4 contact points per edge rather than the normal 2 so despite being 112mm underfoot the Deathwish will grip as if it is 104-106mm. For something that favors on piste conditions, tight bumps or can be taken through the park go with the Wildcat 108. For a ski that favors consistency all over the mountain and floats a bit better in deeper snow go with the Deathwish."

Got my first day on the new Wildcats (190 / 118mm) and they were everything I hoped for. Like last year’s 108’s but with better float but they handle variable snow really well. So stoked on these skis and they’re coming with me to Alaska in March.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

This was Moment's canned answer when I asked about DW vs WC108. I'm sure they get asked this a ton so I figured I'd share if someone else was debating:

"The Deathwish being slightly wider is going to float better in deeper snow but be a little slower edge to edge when carving hardpack. The Wildcat 108, being narrower is quicker edge to edge when carving but won't float as well. Deeper rocker lines in the Wildcat will make it pivot slightly easier in tight spaces whereas the Triple Camber in the Deathwish make it feel a bit more planted. Triple Camber also allows for 4 contact points per edge rather than the normal 2 so despite being 112mm underfoot the Deathwish will grip as if it is 104-106mm. For something that favors on piste conditions, tight bumps or can be taken through the park go with the Wildcat 108. For a ski that favors consistency all over the mountain and floats a bit better in deeper snow go with the Deathwish."
    Hahaha, I bought both...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk