Page 178 of 241 FirstFirst ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 6023
    Need some hive knowledge - price check on 19/20 DWT 184cm with Tectons?

I have to give big ups to Moment, especially Maxwell. Lost one of my beloved Deathwish 184s last week, inquired about a replacement for a reasonable price and he had a fresh stick on my door like 3 days later for just a nominal shipping fee. Even though im sure this cant always happen, its seems like they really care about and are very responsive to customers, which is awesome.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaaarrrp View Post
    I have to give big ups to Moment, especially Maxwell. Lost one of my beloved Deathwish 184s last week, inquired about a replacement for a reasonable price and he had a fresh stick on my door like 3 days later for just a nominal shipping fee. Even though im sure this cant always happen, its seems like they really care about and are very responsive to customers, which is awesome.

Thank you!
    Gotta love supporting a company that takes care of their customers like that

Hi Moment squad,
    Got a question regarding mount point on a 184cm Wildcat tour. I'm a 5'11" 170lb telemark skier and i just picked up a pair of them from a very helpful gentleman here on TGR. They had a bit of an unfortunate history that leaves me with 2 good options for mount, and i want to get it right. This would be for 22 designs Lynx bindings, mainly as my dedicated midwinter touring ski.

One option puts me at +3mm from recommended. (+.3cm from rec.)
    The 2nd option puts me at -2.75cm from recommended.

My hesitance in both is probably obvious, but i've not skied this shape. It's such a small platform with all the rise on either end, going forward of recommended could totally give me the over the bars feeling, but going back and it looks like hardly any tail. An old moment archived webpage says to put all tele bindings at -2 from recommended, and i've seen a lot of folks here say put them on the line.

Anyone with any insight, i'd be soooooo thankful. Pretty sure there is a clear cut answer out there, i just lack the familiarity to find it myself. Not too mention, i've only got one shot! Yee haw!
    Last edited by teleluke; 01-27-2023 at 08:50 AM. Reason: clarify measurement values

I haven't skied that shape, but +3mm sounds very reasonable. Just remember to weight that back ski and it'll float fine.

Or, fill the old holes with hardwood dowels as needed and mount wherever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by teleluke View Post
    Hi Moment squad,
    Got a question regarding mount point on a 184cm Wildcat tour. I'm a 5'11" 170lb telemark skier and i just picked up a pair of them from a very helpful gentleman here on TGR. They had a bit of an unfortunate history that leaves me with 2 good options for mount, and i want to get it right. This would be for 22 designs Lynx bindings, mainly as my dedicated midwinter touring ski.

One option puts me at +3mm from recommended. (+.3cm from rec.)
    The 2nd option puts me at -2.75cm from recommended.

My hesitance in both is probably obvious, but i've not skied this shape. It's such a small platform with all the rise on either end, going forward of recommended could totally give me the over the bars feeling, but going back and it looks like hardly any tail. An old moment archived webpage says to put all tele bindings at -2 from recommended, and i've seen a lot of folks here say put them on the line.

Anyone with any insight, i'd be soooooo thankful. Pretty sure there is a clear cut answer out there, i just lack the familiarity to find it myself. Not too mention, i've only got one shot! Yee haw!
    Neither of those are ideal for tele, but I would go +3mm before I went almost -3cm. I spent a lot of days on the pb&j, which is the same rocker profile if a different layup. I had them mounted -.5, -3.5, and +.5 and found that they skied best close to the line. The Pb&j was super stiff so despite all the rocker they lacked float, and the forwardish mount made them a bear in anything deep and especially anything heavy. Mounted way back I could tell I was behind the sidecut and they felt super weird. These Wildcats being a touring layup means they are probably a bit softer, and if they are the 116mm variety you will get a ton more float from the tip even with the progressive mount. I have had deathwishes mounted at -2cm from the line for 4 years now and they do their job well, albeit they are not my favorite ski in deep untracked, they really excel when you can feel the bottom. If you had a choice I would go -1 or -2, but further back than that is outside the triangles on the sidewall and the skis will start to feel weird. Since you don't have a choice, go as close to the line as you can.

Who stepped up to the plate for the 196 Wildcats?

Moment Skis Discussion

Since you don't have a choice, go as close to the line as you can.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Good beta. I drilled them based on some info I got from hot pocket. They’re the 116 variety. If I need to, I’ll spring for the shift plates so I can truly have some movement, but I bet they’ll do just fine. Thanks so much for the beta!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Need some hive knowledge - price check on 19/20 DWT 184cm with Tectons?
    Heh. I mean. Are you buying or selling? :P

Srsly though - best year, best size, best topsheet, best binding.

Maybe $600 total ($300 each?)
    $250 skis, $250 bindings seems a screaming deal to me
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Staring at a set of commander 108's. Trying to decide on mount point. Forward vs OTL. Search fx suggests people like both. I've been on WC108 at -1 (-7 TC) and found I didn't have enough tip to work with. 6'2/200 prefer a traditional mount but worried these things are gonna require my undivided attention and be a bit of a liability when quick moves are required. Anybody try them at multiple mount points? Notes?

Put about 40 days on 188 CMD 108s last year (6’2/205#, prefer trad mounts) and fucking loved em on the line. Swing weight is reasonably low (for a charger) and tail turned up enough to make em maneuverable. Been ogling 194s. Didn’t try em forward though. Enjoy em, rad skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Staring at a set of commander 108's. Trying to decide on mount point. Forward vs OTL. Search fx suggests people like both. I've been on WC108 at -1 (-7 TC) and found I didn't have enough tip to work with. 6'2/200 prefer a traditional mount but worried these things are gonna require my undivided attention and be a bit of a liability when quick moves are required. Anybody try them at multiple mount points? Notes?
    I mounted the commander 108, 188 at +1.5 and love it there. I like the wc108 190 on the line with full trust of the tip rocker. I’m 6’2” 215

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I liked mine at +2cm and had them with demo bindings. I think they'll work anywhere from -8 to -10cm. I tend to like -8cm as my ideal mount point. Part of the reason I liked +2cm as well was that there's so much titanal (or it feels like it) that there's not a ton of suspension in the tail when landing drops, sort of like a full reverse ski, so having a little more tail helped. I would consider doing -9cm (+1cm).

They don't require undivided attention at all IMO, you can ski them like noodles if you want. Turning is only "difficult" because of weight not because of shape. I didn't spend much time on them OTL though so maybe they're a little more sluggish there if you want to noodle.

Has anyone ever downsized on the death wish 104s for more of a playful ski? I'm 5'8, 175lbs and currently have a WC 101 179cm and WC 184. I know I would probably go towards that 179 but was just wondering for fun if anyones tried a smaller 104 due to it being stiffer Than the 112? Thanks for any information.

Quote Originally Posted by MakerofEden View Post
    Has anyone ever downsized on the death wish 104s for more of a playful ski? I'm 5'8, 175lbs and currently have a WC 101 179cm and WC 184. I know I would probably go towards that 179 but was just wondering for fun if anyones tried a smaller 104 due to it being stiffer Than the 112? Thanks for any information.
    My old man skis a regular deathwish in 179 and now skis the 104 in 174. I ski with him a lot and he did so for the exact reason you are thinking. He wanted to differentiate then more and wanted a quicker turning and lighter ski for hard snow and he loves skiing bumps and he claims if his skis were stolen he would buy the same 2 ski quiver instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    My old man skis a regular deathwish in 179 and now skis the 104 in 174. I ski with him a lot and he did so for the exact reason you are thinking. He wanted to differentiate then more and wanted a quicker turning and lighter ski for hard snow and he loves skiing bumps and he claims if his skis were stolen he would buy the same 2 ski quiver instantly.
    I appreciate this response, i enjoy spending a lot of in trees and bumps. I'm an intermediate skier so I generally don't max out skis in speed with big G turns, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be crazy going 174 since they have a fair amount of rocker.

At your size there’s no way I’d want to be on a 174 (in fact, we’re the same size and I’m on the 184), but your thought process is certainly sound. I would just worry that you’ll think they’re too short in a year or two as you get better.

I realize Moment is awesome at what they do, but I’d sure like to see a ~100 waisted touring ski that is moderately lightweight. My DWT are “cold dead hands” skis but lugging them up 7000 foot climbs on volcanoes on firm snow is a little bit of a bummer.

A touring version of the DW104 would be great, maybe come in around 1550g for a 184 (my DWT weighs 1720g).

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I realize Moment is awesome at what they do, but I’d sure like to see a ~100 waisted touring ski that is moderately lightweight. My DWT are “cold dead hands” skis but lugging them up 7000 foot climbs on volcanoes on firm snow is a little bit of a bummer.

A touring version of the DW104 would be great, maybe come in around 1550g for a 184 (my DWT weighs 1720g).
    If you’re cool with dropping 5cm off the length then the ski you’re looking for exists. Get the Sierra tour in a 179

Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    If you’re cool with dropping 5cm off the length then the ski you’re looking for exists. Get the Sierra tour in a 179

Well I didn’t plan on spending $799 today but now I kinda have to put up or shut up. Thanks!

I'm 6'2" 165lbs and I ski the DW104 in the 184 length. For highspeed groomers I wouldn't mind it longer, as I notice the balance more fore/aft. The running surface is the key thing to look at.

But when I'm in the trees or the bumps, I like the centered feel and lightness. There is no free lunch! The DW104 can do a lot of things, more biased towards no snow or smaller snowfalls. It's not going to feel like a metal directional crusher. It's not going to feel like a soft freestyle play ski. But it can exist in both worlds OK.

Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post

Man I wish they made that ski in longer lengths. That does look like the perfect “light” touring ski for death marches.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Man I wish they made that ski in longer lengths. That does look like the perfect “light” touring ski for death marches.

Oh shit! I just named it! The Death March!🤣

PSA - some Moment skis in stock and 30% off right now at Bent Gate Mountaineering.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Oh shit! I just named it! The Death March!��

[/url]
    I fully support this name. Moment, get on it!

The only question I have on the Sierra Tour for a 200lb man is how much flexier it is than a DWT. I’m assuming they lighten the layup a little for the (generally) lighter weight of women. The thing I love about the DWT is how it never folds up in front of me and can plow poor conditions way above its weight class, and I’d want to keep a lot of that on a “death march” ski for long days out and on big mountains with ice at the top and mashed potatoes at the bottom.