Page 179 of 241 FirstFirst ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 ... LastLast
Results 4,451 to 4,475 of 6010
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I fully support this name. Moment, get on it!

The only question I have on the Sierra Tour for a 200lb man is how much flexier it is than a DWT. I’m assuming they lighten the layup a little for the (generally) lighter weight of women. The thing I love about the DWT is how it never folds up in front of me and can plow poor conditions way above its weight class, and I’d want to keep a lot of that on a “death march” ski for long days out and on big mountains with ice at the top and mashed potatoes at the bottom.
    100-104ish underfoot, triple camber and weight close to Atomic Backland 100 would be a dream come true! Your description of the conditions encountered are spot on for a peak bagging or project line ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I fully support this name. Moment, get on it!

The only question I have on the Sierra Tour for a 200lb man is how much flexier it is than a DWT. I’m assuming they lighten the layup a little for the (generally) lighter weight of women. The thing I love about the DWT is how it never folds up in front of me and can plow poor conditions way above its weight class, and I’d want to keep a lot of that on a “death march” ski for long days out and on big mountains with ice at the top and mashed potatoes at the bottom.
    I have both a 184 dwt and a 179 sierra tour, both mounted at rec with Voyagers. The dwt’s are now a season old and the sierras are close to new but I wouldn’t say the difference in flex is that large, its much more noticeable that the sierra is shorter and lighter than it is that its any softer.

Question for people with Commander 108s: has anyone detuned the tips/tails at all? If so, how much?

Context: Been daily driving Wildcat 108s for the last ~3? years, love them. Wanted to try something new, so I picked up a pair of new Commander 108s a month or so ago, ridden them 4 times so far and am finding them a bit hook-ey? Wondering if anyone has felt the same, I enjoy them but unless I am going really fast I can't get them to break free at all. I tend to ski in a surfy manner but also point and shoot a decent amount. Curious if I'm maybe just not used to a more directional ski/ they just don't suit my skiing style, or if a detune would help.

I'm 5'7, 155 lbs. Skiing 184 wildcats, 184 wildcat tours, and 182 commanders. All mounted +2.

Thanks!

^^^ yes. I’m +1.5 from the line and heavy detune on mine and I love them. And easy balance/pressure transition back and forth with wildcats.

Yes, did a significant detune on my c108 which allows them to surf and scrub speed while still able to rail on hard snow.

Detune heavily 2 inches towards the middle of the ski from the wide points at both the tip and tail. If you want them looser, go 3” or even 4”.

186 Bananas arrived, and damn are they fun. Glad I listened to melee and went shorter than I would ever have considered for a pow ski. I had tried the 193 but that felt long for my tired/broken knee. 186 is a crusher - plenty stiff.

I mounted at rec line. Definitely not as floaty as the Protests I'm used to in that slot, but way surfier. Someone described them as a Bibby bent to the perfect pow crushing rocker - that's basically what I found.

I may move them back to -1 to mitigate dive in lower angle. That's what Paul Forward ended up preferring. Seems like they will be a beloved storm and pow day resort crusher.

Between Commander 98s (188) and the Nanners, I'll be spending most working days on the mountain on Moments...

!Me gusta! Thanks, Moment!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	446462
    sproing!

Oh yeah, I have some 190 Wildcat 108s for sale ($300 - flat) and some pretty tatted up 190 Deathwish ($225 with STH 16).

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Wrap-cheeeeep
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Yes, did a significant detune on my c108 which allows them to surf and scrub speed while still able to rail on hard snow.

Detune heavily 2 inches towards the middle of the ski from the wide points at both the tip and tail. If you want them looser, go 3” or even 4”.
    Awesome, will give this a go. I'll start at 2 in and go from there. Thanks @optics as well!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    186 Bananas arrived, and damn are they fun. Glad I listened to melee and went shorter than I would ever have considered for a pow ski. I had tried the 193 but that felt long for my tired/broken knee. 186 is a crusher - plenty stiff.
    Good info. When I was looking at those I was thinking 186 seemed too short and 193 seemed too long.

Ended up pulling the trigger on some Commander 98's. Which also means I have some 182 PB&J's available for sale if anyone is interested (drilled on the line for shifts at 305 BSL).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

I mounted at rec line. Definitely not as floaty as the Protests I'm used to in that slot, but way surfier. Someone described them as a Bibby bent to the perfect pow crushing rocker - that's basically what I found.

I may move them back to -1 to mitigate dive in lower angle. That's what Paul Forward ended up preferring. Seems like they will be a beloved storm and pow day resort crusher.

Between Commander 98s (188) and the Nanners, I'll be spending most working days on the mountain on Moments...

!Me gusta! Thanks, Moment!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	446462
    Congrats man! I have the 186s at -1cm from rec, yet to experience any tip dive once I get moving and they float better than white room 196 4frnt Renegades IMO. I skied them back to back with an older set of 188 Protests and I thought the Bananas were way more surfy and versatile.

Going to unload my 193 bananas - posting here before I put them up on gearswap. So far this winter in UT they have not gone out yet, so that kinda tells me they need to be passed on to someone who will actually use them. I just found myself reaching for 194 commander 124s, and with some new FR132s waiting for bindings I need to be realistic about my fat ski quiver.

I'll get photos up shortly, but they have been skied <10 days total. Drilled for STH2 16s (315mm I think) by the original owner but never skied, I drilled them for warden13 demos and I 'think' i reused holes where possible.

$475 with the wardens included - preference to SLC to avoid shipping these beasts but I can if required.

Would also be interested in a trade for 190 DW 104s or maybe 190 Wildcat 101s, partial/full swap depending on the condition of your skis

I am so stoked on my 186 Nanners, I figure I need some Meridians someday.

You still can't get me off the original 190 Deathwish 112mm...but I hear there's a new 110mm waisted ski that may give it a run for its money.

We shall see...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoO5PCUJ1JX/

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    You still can't get me off the original 190 Deathwish 112mm...but I hear there's a new 110mm waisted ski that may give it a run for its money.

We shall see...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoO5PCUJ1JX/

The death commander…

What is this new ski @skiier666?

Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    The death commander…
    I can only hope. Would love to see what this ski is made out of.

I’m dying to hear more on this 110 ski…way to build the hype! Well played!

If they want a telemark skiing tester….

Quote Originally Posted by SkiWiedmer View Post
    I can only hope. Would love to see what this ski is made out of.
    I'm thinking some combination of wood, metal, glue, epoxy, rubber...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

There's some athletes on them now...giving them a test 'run'

Whats the float like on the dw104? DW112 seems to float above its waist width, same true for the 104?

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Whats the float like on the dw104? DW112 seems to float above its waist width, same true for the 104?
    I'd definitely say above average. I downsized my pair of 104's to 179 to use as a playful DD (I also have 184 112 DW and 190 108 WC) and even with the downsize, have used them in pow up to 6" with no issues at all. Tip dive or float was never an issue. I wouldn't say they are pow skis by any means, but for east coasters or small refresh days out west, they float wonderfully for their size.

For the last few years, I have been daily skiing on Wildcat 108s and enjoyed them thoroughly. Recently, I decided to switch it up and got a pair of Commander 108s, which I have ridden four times. However, I am finding them to be quite hook-ey and don't seem to break free unless I'm going really fast. I normally ski in a surfy style, but also like to point and shoot. I am wondering if these skis just don't suit my skiing style or if I need to detune them. Has anyone else had a similar experience? filtro de armonicos

Anyone mount the frankenskis at -5? Is it a mini, softer DW? Looking for something to noodle around, low speed crusing, jibbin', groomer fun skiing with the kids, and I think DW104/WC101/C98 wouldn't be much fun at those speeds. I've got the DW112 and WC118, but trying to find something smaller

Haven't found many reviews on the franks.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    +/-. I think the front camber necessarily means less splay which does impact how well they plane. That behind said I've been caught off guard on a deeper than expected day and I think I'd be happy skiing then in anything approaching 6 inches or so. As a quiver of 1 I'd go 112 if possible