Page 97 of 239 FirstFirst ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 5956
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    It's basically an ATK FR14 with a taller toe shim. You can probably find more discussion in the ATK thread
    No shim. The toe is machined differently to take the ramp from 11mm to 7.5mm

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    lets your ski float a little more independently of your ski
    Like, whoa, dude!

I skied it for three days and realized I never wanted to tour on my Vipecs again, so I bought another pair.
    Aren't your Vipecs on Wizard blades? We are moving rapidly toward the gucci plateau of freetourblading.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by jashpash View Post
    Preferably the 190 but considering the 184. Both have their strengths
    PM'd

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    No shim. The toe is machined differently to take the ramp from 11mm to 7.5mm
    Ah, right on. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jashpash View Post
    Preferably the 190 but considering the 184. Both have their strengths
    FYI the 190 is 118 underfoot

The 184 is 116

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Any thoughts on a commander 98 length?

Normally I’m a longest length kind of guy, but considering I would only ski hard snow with these and they’re directional with that -10 mount I’m not sure I would gain much on a 188 vs 182.

I’m 6,1, 170lbs

Go 188....I’m 6’1 200lb.......and they are a very good ski/length not an issue.

It doesn't have the heel float I'd notice in an Ion, Radical, or Vipec, the heel feels solid and locked down like a Kingpin heel. I can't imagine having "power transfer" problems with it, but again, I do my best not to ski my touring setup inbounds on variable terrain.

I'd describe it as feeling like my ski is directly bolted to my boot. It feels very precise. It's exactly what I personally want my pin bindings to feel like on the down, but I understand that a lot of folks prefer a more "alpine" elastic feel. Personally, I skied it for three days and realized I never wanted to tour on my Vipecs again, so I bought another pair.
    I beg to differ. The voyager does NOT ski like a kingpin or any other binding with an alpine style heel. I have about 14 days on voyagers, probably 40 on kingpins, and two on a friend's tectons.

It is, however, the most precise pin binding I have ever skied. Much better power transfer in the heel than alpinist or rad 2 (wayyyy more than a rad 1, tlt or anything with heel gap AND a floating heel).

I mounted it on a dwt as a do it all set up - for this purpose they are quite excellent. Love the power to weight ratio. I've skied them on refrozed coral reef, powder, and now january drought corn. Really an excellent touring binding.

i have lighter bindings and heavier bindings but if i had to have one binding, it would be the voyager

New Deathwishes got mounted today with Shifts. They'll be a resort and side country ski. Here they are next to my DWTs.

I'm so stoked to ski them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210115_214608365-01.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	358103

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    I beg to differ. The voyager does NOT ski like a kingpin or any other binding with an alpine style heel. I have about 14 days on voyagers, probably 40 on kingpins, and two on a friend's tectons.
    I went out on my friend's voyager setup the other day and completely agree. It's noticeably different than Tectons, which I have close to 100 days on with three different setups (and another 30 or so on Kingpins). And yeah, it's all about the heel. However, it's an awesome binding and I'd absolutely recommend it! Everything is a compromise.

My next touring setup - going extra light - will probably include a voyager.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I went out on my friend's voyager setup the other day and completely agree. It's noticeably different than Tectons, which I have close to 100 days on with three different setups (and another 30 or so on Kingpins). And yeah, it's all about the heel. However, it's an awesome binding and I'd absolutely recommend it! Everything is a compromise.

My next touring setup - going extra light - will probably include a voyager.
    Just to be clear. The alpine style heel of the kingpin/tecton is SUPERIOR in your opinion? That’s what you’re saying?

Lightweight, engaged. Sturdy, blah blah voyager is good, but a tecton it is not.

Am I reading this correctly?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

An alpine heel is always going to ski better than any tech heel. Of all of the tech heels I have skied the voyager is the best. It's not even the same ballpark comparing a shift or tecton to a voyager. Different classes of gear...

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Just to be clear. The alpine style heel of the kingpin/tecton is SUPERIOR in your opinion? That’s what you’re saying?

Lightweight, engaged. Sturdy, blah blah voyager is good, but a tecton it is not.

Am I reading this correctly?
    Yeah but it’s really good and I will still get one. The difference is slightly noticeable (on firmer snow but not softer snow, which is key).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Just finished up two days on my new Deathwishes.

Me- 195 lbs, ok skier on 190 cm Deathwish.

They are everything I was hoping for- a slightly stiffer, slightly more damp DWT.

I think what really impressed me is their ability to carve and hold and edge and also pivot super easily, even on hard snow. That is something I've never experienced before on any skis other than the DW/DWT. It makes them extremely maneuverable in tight places deposite their 190 cm length. Lean them over and they carve super well, stay in a neutral stance and they pivot side to side so ealisy.

They can make any turn shape that I want. The flex is stiff enough to make GS turns, but I never feel like I hit a wall in flexing them. In my other favorite skis (Rustler 11s) it is easy to flex them into any turn down to about slalom size. The Deathwish can be easily flexed into tighter than slalom turns. Maybe it is the triple camber, maybe it is the tip/tail rocker hooking up, I'm not really sure but I really, really like it.

I'm also really happy with the mount point. I went on the line on both skis and I get really good floatation and the tails don't feel too big because of the tail rocker.

In general, I'd describe them as fun and intuitive.

I'm in love with the balance between dampness and energy of my Rustler 11s. It'll be interesting to ski them back to back with the slightly more surfy Deathwish on pow days.

For day after a storm with cut up pow, I think I already know that I'd rather play on my Deathwishes- bouncing between mounds of crud and bouncing/slarving/surfing my way through little terrain features.
    Last edited by Kevo; 01-19-2021 at 11:38 AM.

^^^^sounds like my next ski....as my 2nd installment in my Moment quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    ^^^^sounds like my next ski....as my 2nd installment in my Moment quiver.
    Do it! they are awesome.

Anyone on the new Commander 98? I’m thinking of pairing them with my Wildcat 108s as a firm + charger ski

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Anyone on the new Commander 98? I’m thinking of pairing them with my Wildcat 108s as a firm + charger ski
    I’m on em - review upcoming, but just buy em. Fwiw, although Moment has stumbled with renaming skis prior, these are a completely new ski & not the CMD of the past 2 seasons.

Going out on a limb here, but my 2021 CMD 98s in a 176 are more baller than my 2020 194 CMD 108. Yes, they FKNA nailed this ski. Gone are the compromise tendencies for the Commander to *sneak* into carver mode. New ones are the fall line dousers & tail is pure gold.

Had both out over the past few days of 18-20” sticky to crud & can assert the above with good confidence.

Moment Skis Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I’m on them too....Irip will probably write a better detailed specific review...but I have been totally impressed with the C98. I am so glad I got them this past fall....they are doing everything I need them to do so far this year (staying local so far in NEPA/ElkMtn.)....I believe the The C98 will be perfect when I’m allowed to get back up in VT...

I’m 6’1 200lbs. on the 188 and the length is perfect. I have Pivot 18’s on them.....For being a “charger”, I’m really impressed how I can really make any type of turn needed...they turn on a dime...slarve, carve, slip, tip, short, long....you name it. I cannot wait to get them in trees...I think they will be outstanding in tight spaces...

I usually put 1/3’s on all my skis.....but these are 1/1....but they ski so well....I have kept them at 1/1 for now. I don’t want to muck them up. (Just sharpened the 1/1 up last night....and the skis just have a great “feel” to them.). I wax the hell out of my skis...so these have had several cycles of Toko Red/blue so far...and these babies really “glide”.

As an EC/West trip guy..I needed a sub100 ski...and I’m so glad I went this route...These C98’s ski so well...I think I’m trying the DW next. (Oh boy...I think my Katanas might end up on my wall.....lol)

Hope that helps....there is no need to hesitate. The C98 is a “great ski”.
    Last edited by BC.; 01-18-2021 at 06:39 AM.

New 162 Bella's (16th pair of Moments in the family) for our 11 yo Granddaughter, she loves them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bellas.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	358470

I usually wait for more solid reviews to come out on new stuff but I've got some Voyagers on the way. Will be my first tech binding but I figured I might as well go for the (alleged) creme de la creme now that I'm moving from Shifts to something for touring exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    I usually wait for more solid reviews to come out on new stuff but I've got some Voyagers on the way. Will be my first tech binding but I figured I might as well go for the (alleged) creme de la creme now that I'm moving from Shifts to something for touring exclusively.
    Look up reviews and info for the ATK FR14 which is the Voyager minus the redesign toe that decreases ramp angle.

PSA: Looks like a nice set of Jag Sharks for sale in the Santa Cruz area. Not mine. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo...262800357.html

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Look up reviews and info for the ATK FR14 which is the Voyager minus the redesign toe that decreases ramp angle.
    Yeah that certainly helped.

Also FedEx just dropped them off 5 minutes ago. Now to get the skis....

Quote Originally Posted by chickenmonkey View Post
    PSA: Looks like a nice set of Jag Sharks for sale in the Santa Cruz area. Not mine. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo...262800357.html
    I'm all for the abolition of the death penalty but that degree of keyword stuffing might make me reconsider.

Cool skis though.