Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 897
  1. #251
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    342
    I have two set of holes in my tour version at -7 from center (-1 rec) and -5 (+1 rec) and preferred the more forward mount.
    Last edited by roverdoc; 02-25-2019 at 09:25 AM.

  2. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    332
    My 108 tours are mounted -1 for shifts and so far very versatile for both frontside and backcountry duties. Not skiing them quite as fast on groomers as something with a bunch of metal, but that’s ok , these things are pretty damn light on the uphill

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    1,038
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Attachment 269490

    Little bit of meridian tour sunrise tip stoke
    Awesome shot!

    Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    And yeah, what is "auv" anyhow?
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    auv = autonomous underwater vehicle since I do robotics, and primarily underwater
    Been wondering about auvgeek’s handle too. His reply confirms he is obviously a complete idiot. But seriously, very cool auvgeek. you get out on the water much to test your handiwork? How’d you get into underwater specifically?

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    23
    Anyone been on both the Deathwish 184 and the Atris 184 and want to take a second to compare/contrast? Have been on the Atris for 2 years. Like them a lot. Was debating between these two when I got them, and couldn't find the DW for a good price used so went Atris. Now there's a reasonably priced pair of DW's on gear swap and I'm tempted. Thoughts?

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    We may be releasing a short run of the Wildcat 108s this season. Wont happen for at least a month... Will keep TGR posted.
    Name:  f1d0340975617a8edfb1c3cc42bb37b16600d6e24dbf632ec00128e80e20770c.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  38.5 KB

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by beasttowest View Post
    Been wondering about auvgeek’s handle too. His reply confirms he is obviously a complete idiot. But seriously, very cool auvgeek. you get out on the water much to test your handiwork? How’d you get into underwater specifically?
    I totally appreciate the interest. I hate to divert from the focus of this thread....but I don't feel like it's worth starting my own thread -- how egocentric would that be? So I guess here's some irrelevant banter (IB):

    Got into robotics because I've always been interested in using math and physics to solve real-world problems. My primary interest has been navigation and, to a lesser extent, control of unmanned vehicles. Underwater robotics is interesting from a navigation perspective (in part) because GPS doesn't work underwater.

    Yeah, I do in-water testing, though not as much as I would like. We have a tank in our lab, but of course I got into a more ubiquitous class of torpedo-shaped vehicles that don't really work in our tank. And I'm kind of slow so I spend too much time working out the math and coding it up and not enough time

    I *am* a complete idiot in that I have been stoked on maritime robotics since early high school, and I have prioritized it over skiing since then. And now that I'm about to finish my PhD, I realize how much I want to ski regularly and how hard is it to find a job doing underwater/maritime stuff near the mountains (let alone somewhere my wife also wants to live and can find a job). #firstworldproblems
    /blog
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Winthrop, WA. Methow valley
    Posts
    742
    auvgeek, sounds like you need to move to Seattle. Checks all the boxes you mentioned....assuming your wife likes Seattle.

    On a related note, sending you a PM about a couple of practical applications of your work.

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Den/Baltimore
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    auvgeek, sounds like you need to move to Seattle. Checks all the boxes you mentioned....assuming your wife likes Seattle.

    On a related note, sending you a PM about a couple of practical applications of your work.
    yeah, that’s where we met before I moved to the east coast for grad school. There are several very reasonable arguments against Seattle that I don’t really feel like airing publicly. But also, there aren’t a ton of jobs that I have found that are close enough to the mountains or with a flexible enough schedule to be more than a weekend warrior, which I would really prefer. Again, totally first world problems. So I’m currently targeting space robotics jobs in Denver area, since that’s where she’s currently living and working until I can finish up on the least coast.

    Okay, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 02-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles/Mammoth
    Posts
    732
    Melee,

    Whats going on with the Meridian series for 19/20? I only see a Meridian (107) on the preview site. Are you still making a 117 width as well? Any chance it comes longer in a 192?

  11. #261
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Driggs
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveEastSkiWest View Post
    Anyone been on both the Deathwish 184 and the Atris 184 and want to take a second to compare/contrast? Have been on the Atris for 2 years. Like them a lot. Was debating between these two when I got them, and couldn't find the DW for a good price used so went Atris. Now there's a reasonably priced pair of DW's on gear swap and I'm tempted. Thoughts?
    I skied the 184 Atris briefly, have a gazzilion days on the Deathwish. I found that the Atris was softer, maybe a touch damper, but had a much lower speed limit. I didn't find it to be as predictable in bad snow, where the Deathwish has these two modes where you either drive the ski through the tips and it grips like crazy, or you stand back just a touch and can basically the pivot the whole thing just by barely engaging your ankles. Deathwish felt much lighter in the air.

    Atris felt more like a Kartel 108, or ARV 106 to me, softer, a touch more "traditionally jibby"

    To make a bad analogy, the Deathwish, is, to me, the definition of "tight-loose" when you want to charge on edge, the ski is all the way there, right underfoot, tracking strong, no matter what BS you put it through. But when you want to get real loose, throw that thing sideways, pivot through tight trees, butter out of an under-rotated spin, it can be super freaking loose, not catchy at all. It covers a huge spectrum of skier imput well.

    The Atris felt like it had a narrower range. It couldn't be as tight (never had as good of edge grip, folded if I got too far forward), but it's also much harder to just pivot at low speeds in tight terrain. And was a bit more catchy if I screwed up a spin.

  12. #262
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,233
    Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    I skied the 184 Atris briefly, have a gazzilion days on the Deathwish. I found that the Atris was softer, maybe a touch damper, but had a much lower speed limit. I didn't find it to be as predictable in bad snow, where the Deathwish has these two modes where you either drive the ski through the tips and it grips like crazy, or you stand back just a touch and can basically the pivot the whole thing just by barely engaging your ankles. Deathwish felt much lighter in the air.

    Atris felt more like a Kartel 108, or ARV 106 to me, softer, a touch more "traditionally jibby"

    To make a bad analogy, the Deathwish, is, to me, the definition of "tight-loose" when you want to charge on edge, the ski is all the way there, right underfoot, tracking strong, no matter what BS you put it through. But when you want to get real loose, throw that thing sideways, pivot through tight trees, butter out of an under-rotated spin, it can be super freaking loose, not catchy at all. It covers a huge spectrum of skier imput well.

    The Atris felt like it had a narrower range. It couldn't be as tight (never had as good of edge grip, folded if I got too far forward), but it's also much harder to just pivot at low speeds in tight terrain. And was a bit more catchy if I screwed up a spin.
    Makes me want to try a DW
    I started a dating advice app because I always need advice

    Charmed Chat lets you tinder for your friends

  13. #263
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,233
    Who skis or lands airs on their bibby switch at -6?
    I started a dating advice app because I always need advice

    Charmed Chat lets you tinder for your friends

  14. #264
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Makes me want to try a DW
    If you haven't tired the Deathwish you should...

  15. #265
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    474
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Who skis or lands airs on their bibby switch at -6?
    Me, it’s a non issue.

  16. #266
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,853

    Moment Skis Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I totally appreciate the interest. I hate to divert from the focus of this thread....but I don't feel like it's worth starting my own thread -- how egocentric would that be? So I guess here's some irrelevant banter (IB):

    Got into robotics because I've always been interested in using math and physics to solve real-world problems. My primary interest has been navigation and, to a lesser extent, control of unmanned vehicles. Underwater robotics is interesting from a navigation perspective (in part) because GPS doesn't work underwater.

    Yeah, I do in-water testing, though not as much as I would like. We have a tank in our lab, but of course I got into a more ubiquitous class of torpedo-shaped vehicles that don't really work in our tank. And I'm kind of slow so I spend too much time working out the math and coding it up and not enough time

    I *am* a complete idiot in that I have been stoked on maritime robotics since early high school, and I have prioritized it over skiing since then. And now that I'm about to finish my PhD, I realize how much I want to ski regularly and how hard is it to find a job doing underwater/maritime stuff near the mountains (let alone somewhere my wife also wants to live and can find a job). #firstworldproblems
    /blog
    Come to the Bay Area.
    Plenty of jobs and startups out here in underwater ROVs. Tahoe is close enough, but it a bitch for day trips but weekends are very doable.

    If you dive pretty hard to beat Monterey as a local dive site too

  17. #267
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Makes me want to try a DW
    Yeah that comparison pretty much seals the deal as a deathwish for my next ski.

  18. #268
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    On the field
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    My 108 tours are mounted -1 for shifts and so far very versatile for both frontside and backcountry duties. Not skiing them quite as fast on groomers as something with a bunch of metal, but that’s ok , these things are pretty damn light on the uphill
    Did you de-tune the tips and tails?

  19. #269
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    73
    Any info on wildcat 108 regular and tour? I'm on crossroads - buy tour or regular WC 108 with Salomon Shift for resort/backcountry use. Bibby pro in 184 is one of my favorite models along with Armada Arv JJ and K2 Pettitor 120.

  20. #270
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Who skis or lands airs on their bibby switch at -6?
    The Bibby still has a lot of tail at -6. Switch riding and landings are just fine as long as you don't plan to spend like half of your time riding switch.

  21. #271
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Any info on wildcat 108 regular and tour? I'm on crossroads - buy tour or regular WC 108 with Salomon Shift for resort/backcountry use. Bibby pro in 184 is one of my favorite models along with Armada Arv JJ and K2 Pettitor 120.
    I don't think anyone outside of Moment has ridden the Regular 108. I do own the Tour 108 in 190 cm and am 6ft 220. Here are my thoughts from a few days on them. Note this is only a few days because mine showed up in late January.

    I use the Tour 108 with Shifts as my only touring ski and narrower travel ski (wide travel ski is a Billy Goat). They've had a mix of in resort and a small amount of backcountry because of that use profile. Downhill with them is excellent on soft groomers, softer chop and bumps. They're good at fresh though not as amazing as the Goats. The only condition so far where I've noticed the light weight negatively is deep and heavy chop where I would much prefer a heavier ski, the Goats have that covered.

    I have not had the Cats on anything bulletproof yet for better or worse. I do think that relative to other ~105 width skis without metal they are pretty good and a heavier core would likely make them better, there is a surprising amount of traditional camber underfoot. The Tour core is pretty stiff and doesn't feel pingy (my wife is on some Navis Freebirds and she's complained about their damping on snow where I was happy on the Cats). Can't comment on breakable crust fortunately.

    I am a backcountry JONG, don't trust my uphill opinions. They do feel light enough to me.


    I think bourbonisgood and a few others own as well and I'd be interested in hearing from them too.

  22. #272
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Any info on wildcat 108 regular and tour? I'm on crossroads - buy tour or regular WC 108 with Salomon Shift for resort/backcountry use. Bibby pro in 184 is one of my favorite models along with Armada Arv JJ and K2 Pettitor 120.
    The non tour Wildcat 108 is going to have the same dimensions as the 108 tour but is going to be a heavier lay up than even the regular 116/118 Wildcat(2000 grams in the 184cm) so it will actually be about the same weight as the old Bibby was.

    Estimates around 2150 gram range on the regular 184cm Wildcat 108 vs the 1675 grams of the 108 Tour in the 184cm size.

    Link in this thread about the 2019/20 Moment skis but here it is again with the 108 Wildcat shown.

    http://www.mmntskis.com/

  23. #273
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by noslow View Post
    Estimates around 2150 gram range on the regular 184cm Wildcat 108 vs the 1675 grams of the 108 Tour in the 184cm size.
    Interesting...but not for me. I like to still be able to tour, even on my heavier skis. That's cool - that's not this ski's target audience.

    I'll be going a PB&J or Commander 98 instead.

    Got a month long trip on my Wildcat Tour 108s starting tomorrow - will be sure to drop by with a review when I can.

  24. #274
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    tahoe de chingao
    Posts
    486
    Nice! So that would mean around 2200g or 2250g in a 190cm length. I'm in. And I'm usually wayyy to cheap for this sort of thing

  25. #275
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Winthrop, WA. Methow valley
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Nice! So that would mean around 2200g or 2250g in a 190cm length.
    Yeah, those specs are giving me some very special "feelings".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •