Page 33 of 239 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Moment Skis Discussion

I was pretty set on buying a Meridian 117 but then Moment throws a curve ball and brings back the CB! I’ve never skied either, in fact this would be my first full rocker ski. Love the idea of the 117 because first off, I love the width and stiffness as I honestly don’t plan on using it as a pow ski at all, obviously a soft snow fun everywhere ski that can charge when asked but I like my DD’s in the 115 range and I’m a big dude who like stiffer sticks and bends them pretty well just based on weight and speed. So that being said the shorter taper, 187 length, and stiffer core (I was told the 117 has a stiffer core profile than the Naner from Moment, which is weird because I thought they were the same with the Naner being stiffer by way of width) the 117 still sounds pretty $$$. What I like about the Naner is the length (193) because my understanding is these designs ski quite short, I am very comfy on 190ish skis want these to excel in the fun factor and with the extra taper the length difference sounds fairly moot but not skiing either I really don’t know, but I’d probably give the point to the Naner. Width, I like the 117 as I have dedicated pow skis that I adore and when the snow is deep they will get the call so the 117 gets a point because it seems, on paper anyway, will most likely be better in variable. Stiffness, I’m still not sold the Naner is softer but it would certainly lose a point if there was a noticeable difference, I would def prefer the stiffer of the two. So any info from anyone with exp with either or both would be greatly appreciated! Like I said my emphasis for this stick would be the fun factor, I have other skis for other stuff and def prefer skis closer to the 190 range over skis in the low 180’s. Thanks in advance!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Post #741 says CB is stiffer than Meridian because of the extra width. Unless it is just the core he is referring to,

Moment Skis Discussion

The guy on the Moment live chat said he skied a proto 193 last year that was a little planky and really heavy. I got the impression that they tweaked it a little to make it more manageable all around. It didn't sound like they turned it into a noodle.

Edit: eh.. never mind. Just read #741. Anyway, he also said it's a pretty burly ski, not for the feint of heart. I'm pretty sure it's gonna rawk.

Moment Skis Discussion

Thanks all! Tuco, I knew I had read that somewhere, thanks for finding it. It was also a Moment cat who told me the 117 had a stiffer profile than the CB so idk but my guess is it’s the same, leaving Naner stiffer but he had skied both. Lucknau, I don’t mind burly per say but don’t really care for planky so much, looking for what everyone has said about the Meridian being so damn fun, just trying to decide which one will better fit that bill for me
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Thanks all! Tuco, I knew I had read that somewhere, thanks for finding it. It was also a Moment cat who told me the 117 had a stiffer profile than the CB so idk but my guess is it’s the same, leaving Naner stiffer but he had skied both. Lucknau, I don’t mind burly per say but don’t really care for planky so much, looking for what everyone has said about the Meridian being so damn fun, just trying to decide which one will better fit that bill for me
    I think you should just decide on the width. From my understanding, they are virtually identical in terms of stiffness, shape, etc. Just 117 vs 122. I'd go wider

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    I think you should just decide on the width. From my understanding, they are virtually identical in terms of stiffness, shape, etc. Just 117 vs 122. I'd go wider
    The advantages of going from 187 to 193 length FAR outweigh any perceived disadvantages going from 117 to 122 width.

I skied my 194 Ghost Trains (126 width) on a 2-4inch mini pow day. Skied them all day on everything, and found them to be far more versatile than I thought they would be.

Chipotle Bananas ALL DAY.

Or...just ski the Deathwish on everything. IDK, that's what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Yeah, sick vid brodie blue gloves!

That 193 CB looks soooo sick. Me want.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by hot.pocket View Post
    CB 186 vs 124 CMD 194:

Attachment 293594

CB 193 will have the same full rocker line as the CB 186.
    Thank you hp!
    Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    You're welcome dude! My take is it is the exact same build as Meridian, leaving CB slightly stiffer. If it's same build, I can't see production CB as being any more planky than Meridian.

On that note...

Fuck it--- I'm ready to order!
    Melee---for discretionary purposes---do you accept checks like ON3P does?

Moment Skis Discussion

I threw down earlier this week.
    Last edited by lucknau; 09-18-2019 at 12:45 AM. Reason: cuz

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post

Fuck it--- I'm ready to order!
    Melee---for discretionary purposes---do you accept checks like ON3P does?

Shoot us an email. We can figure something out.

New to the community, but it looks like this is the right place to post! I have an ageing pair of 4FRNT Hojis 195 that I will need to replace soon. This was the first reverse camber ski that I skied on, and absolutely love them. However, I've been thinking about replacing that pair with something from a company that makes their own skis, and Moment is a prime contender. I really like the look of the Meridian, which looks like it could be a great daily driver for the PNW where I live. Can anyone here comment on how the Meridian will feel, ideally in comparison with the Hoji (if anyone here happens to have skied both)?

Is it a dumb idea to put shifts on non tour wildcat 108s?

I happened into a pair of shifts, and am looking for a place to put them. Probably want these as a mixed resort/touring or when I don't care about going fast ski so was thinking wildcat 108s made sense.Would the wildcat tour be better for 50/50 inbounds/touring? Have another lightweight touring set up for bigger days. Just need some convincing the weight would be worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post

I happened into a pair of shifts, and am looking for a place to put them. Probably want these as a mixed resort/touring or when I don't care about going fast ski so was thinking wildcat 108s made sense.Would the wildcat tour be better for 50/50 inbounds/touring? Have another lightweight touring set up for bigger days. Just need some convincing the weight would be worth it...
    Not a dumb idea at all.

The Shift skis very well. If you're going to be in the resort 50%+ then a stock Wildcat 108 is the way to go. The weight and dampness behind a stock build is nice when the resort gets skied out.

Last year I went to Europe for a couple weeks skiing 50/50 inbounds/touring and brought the stock Deathwish with Shifts. Worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    New to the community, but it looks like this is the right place to post! I have an ageing pair of 4FRNT Hojis 195 that I will need to replace soon. This was the first reverse camber ski that I skied on, and absolutely love them. However, I've been thinking about replacing that pair with something from a company that makes their own skis, and Moment is a prime contender. I really like the look of the Meridian, which looks like it could be a great daily driver for the PNW where I live. Can anyone here comment on how the Meridian will feel, ideally in comparison with the Hoji (if anyone here happens to have skied both)?
    I skied 187cm Hojis (2015/16) for a few years and loved them, but wanted a ski with at least a partial twin tip for skiing switch. Picked up some of the first year Meridians (2017? Graphic that Melee has as his forum image), also in 187cm.

Some quick physical comparisons:

Weight: Hojis were ~2250g/ski, Meridians were ~2100g/ski
    Mount: Hojis around -0.5cm from recommended (-6cm from center), Meridians at around +3.5 cm from recommended (-1.5cm from center). Yes, this is a very different mount location.
    Sidecut: Hojis were 30m, Meridians were (are?) 23m.
    Bindings: Hojis had Tyrolia AAAttack 16s, Meridians have Salomon 900S Equipe. Not sure this matters.

"Feel" comparisons (what you actually care about, I guess):

-Meridians are significantly stiffer than Hojis. This is generally good, although sometimes the stiffness + reverse camber results in a harsh ride in bad snow. The tips and tails of the Meridians are notably stiff; this, compared to the Hojis' fairly soft tips, makes the Meridians more composed at speed.

-Both have great edge hold. I found the Hoji difficult to carve except on very fast, smooth, soft groomers. Meridians were quicker edge to edge. By no means did either ski feel "locked in" while carving.

-Meridians have much lighter swing weight; this is probably due to the close-to-center mount.

-I would like to say that the Meridians are more "stompy", that is, more confidence-inspiring and predictable on landings; but I think I am a better and more confident skier now than I was a few seasons ago, so not sure this is a fair comparison. Having a lot of stiff tail certainly helps wheelie-out.

-Stiff tails don't really help either on moguls, but lower swing weight does.

-Kind of think the Hojis were faster in deep snow. Higher tail rocker in Meridians means more rooster-tail, I guess.

-I remember the Meridians being more difficult to ollie than expected; I think this is a comparison to my park/skinny skis (Rossi Scimitars) and/or older ON3P Jeffrey 122s, though. Less boing in the tail.

-Both skis have good enough build quality. The Meridians haven't been in really bony conditions yet, so can't really comment on this. Dinged up the Hojis pretty well skiing Brighton in low tide.

-Both skis are very maneuverable in trees or on tight steep things. Hojis maybe better at pivoting around in trees, Meridans better at jump turns. I guess this comes down to weight and mount point.

I think my experience with the Meridians has been heavily influenced by the mount location. If I had had room to mount at the recommended mark, I probably would have. If you like to really drive the tips of skis, and don't really care about switch performance, spins and other tricky business, mount at recommended. Then again, if you like the way a center-mounted park ski handles, the Meridians are perfectly fine mounted pretty close to center.

I have a hard time of coming up with things I disliked about the Hojis, and I don't think the Meridians are much different. I wished the Hojis had more tail rocker so I could land switch and not tomahawk backwards a few times; the Meridians have (so far) solved this minor problem.

I'm doing this exact thing, though "if you don't care about going fast" you could go for something lighter. I'm planning on a lot of resort accessed side country and after skiing my W108 this spring this seems like the ticket.

Thanks! To be specific, not wanting to go fast refers to the uphill, going fast on the way down is almost always better IMO.

My other option is to pull the pivots off the deathwish and put the shifts on those, but I've been thinking about selling an old pair of cochises and am really into replacing them with the Wildcat108. Thinking I want to pull the trigger on the 108s because more or newer skis sounds more fun.

Thanks! To be specific, not wanting to go fast refers to the uphill, going fast on the way down is almost always better IMO.

My other option is to pull the pivots off the deathwish and put the shifts on those, but I've been thinking about selling an old pair of cochises and am really into replacing them with the Wildcat108. Thinking I want to pull the trigger on the 108s because more or newer skis sounds more fun.
    No need to put more holes in Deathwishes.

Put the Shifts on the Wildcat 108 and have fun.

Thanks a lot for the very detailed comparison, Toddball, that's exactly what I was looking for. You mentioned that the Meridian's stiff tails weren't ideal for moguls: how do you feel the two skis compare there? I've had a (surprising) blast in moguls with the Hojis, despite the 195 length/width, and am wondering if you had the same feeling there. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by powder_to_the_people View Post
    Thanks a lot for the very detailed comparison, Toddball, that's exactly what I was looking for. You mentioned that the Meridian's stiff tails weren't ideal for moguls: how do you feel the two skis compare there? I've had a (surprising) blast in moguls with the Hojis, despite the 195 length/width, and am wondering if you had the same feeling there. Cheers!
    I distinctly remember having a bad time on my Hojis one mediocre afternoon on steep, traversing moguls. May have been when I had a forward mount and too much forward lean in my boots, though. Tail was bucking me around a lot. The Meridians are a quite bit better due to tail rocker, and can pivot quickly enough; but softer, shorter skis (Scimitars) are a bit more comfortable.

To be clear, a significant part of my last winter was spent bashing moguls on Meridians, and I had a good time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D696BF67-526D-4B48-B1DD-0A3D26A4F49D.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	294689

I’m totally kicking myself for not buying Blades now, but whoever is selling these when they were $199 is a total asshole & doesn’t deserve Moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Shoot us an email. We can figure something out.
    Can I call the factory? I work from the field.

Just a friendly PSA that they have a full ski shop at the Moment factory. You can buy skis, boots, bindings, poles etc including a master boot fitter to help with your painful feet.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Can I call the factory? I work from the field.
    You can post on TGR but not write an email?

Phones work too: 775-527-1595